Mk2i sales

Does anyone know jow good mk2/mk2i sales have been to date?

• i have asked previously if the ant+ on land can be 'retuned' to recieve a khz frequency under water to allow this but not recieved an answer maybe via an app, the solution is a non proprietary dual transmitter but im not sure if coding of sonar signal is proprietary as well,

ratio has done the same thing and its not sonar ( it has cool features like gas sensors that set gas mix directly to the watch /computer dont know why garmin cant do the same?) and one of many reasons shearwater has such a strong fanbase,

That said the Teric is a grand with poor battery and nil else, so your getting a fenix 6 pro for £400, alternatively if fenix features are what your after its £700 for the divewatch, ratio tech + costs £700, suunto d5 is £610 on suunto website, that appears to be the thinking, frustrating they did that 

• What I don't really understand if you already have the teric, why do you want to buy a descent instead of fenix?

• If somebody _needs_ a teric or descent that means a suunto d5 won't be acceptable because their RGBM algorithm. If it's not an issue that means for me that the much cheaper suunto like vyper/zoop novo or other brand is more than enough for a recreational driver, no need for a high-end stuff like descent or teric.

If you _need_ a descent/teric/perdix (proper computer with buhlmann algorithm for decompression dives and gas changes) then it means you also _need_ a backup, at least a cheap computer with a gauge mode for your dive

So for me that's why the descent was the perfect candidate. I needed a high-en computer but also wanted a sports watch like a fenix. So instead of spending 1000 on a teric and 700 on a fenix, i had the mk2i for 1500 and use it daily and also have my old cheap recreational suunto as a gauge backup

• Youve missed my point, i wasnt commenting on the benefits of the teric or d5 but the price point which seems to be a marketing mindset, and transmitter compatibility,

its dissapointing you couldnt use it as a back up with ai to keep an eye on tank pressure, but in all other respects it would still function as a capable backup for a technical dive albeit an expensive one just without the ai

For me the advantages of the descent are the additional non dive functions like navigation/maps and garmin pay plus maybe some activity stuff all in one watch, thats unique, the ratio tech + has some extra functions and great battery life but in practice, diving aside, theres no comparison IF you need the other non dive stuff, if you dont it wouldnt be my choice at all, shearwater, ratio or the new suunto with bulmann would be though shearwater would clip both for the same ai reasons already discussed

• i have asked previously if the ant+ on land can be 'retuned' to recieve a khz frequency under water to allow

It wouldn't be ANT+ any more if it did that. ANT+ runs at 2.4MHz.  Dropping it to 38kHz (which is what PPS transmitters use) would required vastly different hardware.

ratio has done the same thing and its not sonar ( it has cool features like gas sensors that set gas mix directly to the watch /computer

I can't imagine the gas mix data would be particularly accurate and the transmitters would cost a lot more.

Consider a O2 analyser.  They cost around $400 (at least here in Australia).  The O2 sensor lasts around 2 years and then has to be replaced.  They also need to be calibrated before every reading. 

If you were to build that into a transmitter it would double the price, reduce the useful life of the transmitter and would have to be calibrated before every dive.

• Thanks for clarity, i still think khz transmitter and reciever could be added, they just didnt want to do it, i really dont buy form factor explanation looking at suunto and ratio dive watches size by comparison which use that, though the ratio transmitters are proprietary as well, which is a shame because their kit is otherwise first class easily on a par with or better than shearwater imo, unlike shearwater the upgrades to more sophisticated setups is just a software upgrade, its same tech inside on all models, id add that none of the ostc range of dive computers has air integration either

The gas analyser on the ratio isnt in the transmitter, its a seperate unit, you attach to their dive computer, whichever kind, calibrate and then sense gas, it calibrates dive mix on the dive computer directly, then you take it off and dive, transmitter just broadcasts pressure, its a very cool solution, the link shows it on their large box dive computer but its same process on the dive watch

https://youtu.be/hsUVKWXKhGA

https://youtu.be/I5hk8udhOp4

Not a deal breaker by any stretch but a well thought out and implemented solution to gas analysis and setting.