D2 Charlie GPS Signal Airbus 320

I'm an A-320 pilot and thinking about buying the D2 Charlie. Can anybody verify if the GPS signal will be received? I was reading that it may not? Thank you.

Tony
  • Just stumbled across this thread. I recently received this watch as a gift and I've had very little luck receiving a GPS signal in the cockpit of the a320 as well. I've emailed Garmin support about it, but all they suggested was a reset. Just curious if there are any other updates about this issue?

I suspect that you talked to a Garmin Outdoors rep with a suggestion like that. Make sure you call the Aviation Support group as this is a known issue that results from the A320's heated window elements. I'm not an electrical engineer so I'm not sure why this is such an issue on the A320 when most airliners have heated windshields. In any case, I suspect you will be able to exchange or return the device. While this may not solve your issue, hopefully it will start putting pressure on Garmin to put more resources into solving the issue.

Cheers,
    Douglas
  • I can confirm that the D2 Bravo and the Charlie are a big disapointment in the cockpit. I can't get a GPS Signal with either of them. I tried it in various Bombardier types. We tried to put it closer to the windshields in different Locations, then tried the side Windows or other places in the cockpit. Also Captain and First Officer sides. Tried it for many hours and on many flights. No luck at any position or type of aircraft. Also as a passenger in various airliners is it impossible to get a GPS Signal. The only Way to make it work, is to pair it with your cell phone or IPad and get a Signal off there. Read somewhere that the US Airforce bought those for their pilots. I just hope that they won't rely on the GPS function ;-) or that they bought some ipads with them ;-)

I also called them and the suggested fix was a reset. Which obviously didn't do anything.
  • My D2 Charlie works fine through side windows of cockpit in the MD-11. It works best to get a signal prior to takeoff while sitting still and also using GLONASS. Watch must be near the window or the signal gets lost.
  • Hi, neither the D2 bravo nor D2 Charlie works fine in a 767 cockpit. Only get gps signal on pax seats. I have read that is because of heated windows, but don’t why ipad works fine, also my Bad elf GPS works perfect. Please someone know if the D2 Delta has the same problem?. Thanks
  • Hi, I bought the d2 delta and I can confirm that it has a hard time acquiring a GPS lock in the A320 cpt. On ground before moving works but during flight it Will be on and off. I didn't get it so I could log flights when working. At work I have the barometric altimeter warning set to 9500 as backup and I use the metar widget alot.
  • I have a Garmin Descent (diving Watch), and have used it on an A380, A330, and 747, gets the GPS signal if I hold it to the window in the passenger compartment. So I guess if you left it on the dash or strapped to the window it could record the whole flight. Just can't find an APP that presents the data well..... get nonsense like avg ground speed 190.1 km/hr, avg moving ground speed 976.8 km/hr, max ground speed 63.4 km/hr.
    Maybe that implies intermittent gps signal not sure.
  • I'm using the d2 delta px. It is a great watch with good battery life. I fly the A320 and it took me a couple of flight to locate where is the best position for the gps watch. But as a passenger it work great even if I'm seated on the aisles seat and gave me good GPS signal even while I'm wearing the watch. As in the cockpit A320 because of the heated window it got abit hard, as when the engine is shut in ground it is good because the window haven't started to heat as long u dun on the probe and window heat. But when I did a couple of testing, I found that the front window and sliding window is heated. As for the last window theres a heated element but it is not so strong compare to other window as I read somewhere it only defog. On the last window it work perfect. I flew a few flight and last was ICN-HKG with no GPS signal lost on those window, works perfect just a flaws on ipad it doesn't shows GPS altitude while my android phone shows it. And as in cockpit u need to put the watch near the window obviously u can't wear it which I'm abit disappointed. But as a passenger u can wear it and get great GPS signal. Overall its a superb watch. ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1445006.jpg
  • Got the Marq Aviator and same here, no GPS signal in B737NG cockpit.

Any solution to this ?

Thank you

Thomas

• I'm flying a q400.. d2 air is great.. love it.. but I can confirm.. it doesn't pickup any signals.. waiting for a response from support.. hopefully there's something they can do.. other then a reset.. but if it's not picking up a gps signal when I need it to.... Then this is a big "no sir take it back". I've used Garmin products at general aviation levels and commercial aviation levels.. and honestly they are usually a cut above.. so this watch is a real disappointment.. my ipad and cell.. no issues in the cockpit for the various signal they require.. windshield heat on or off... But Garmin watch... Red circle of death.. I have 4 out 5 time sources.. several altitude sources separate gps and navigation sources... I don't "need" the watch.. but that being said . Being able to get updated weather quickly on the watch.. awesome.. especially when ACARS is being ..... ACARS... Alt alert and o2 monitor.. genius... Get a buzz through 10,000 uhoh... Look for the switch you missed haha . The GPS for quick reference and added situational awareness.. why not... But . GPS doesn't/never works.... Unless I go for a jog.. Heavens knows I need a jog.. gotta lose the ole covid 25.. uniform doesn't fit like it used to haha... So .. I'll be sending it back if there isn't anything they can do...

• Love your watch faces.. but none of them sorry the D2 Air