This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Marq - already outdated ?

Hi.. quick question: 

I really like the optics of a Marq Captain or Athlete  and thinking about a purchase. 
I am a bit worried though I am buying a technically already outdated watch (as FENIX 6 has
a better display etc.). 
What´s your view and : are  you guys expecting an updated Version (Marq 2) in the near future ?

Thank you very much in advance ! 

• If you think of the MARQ as a Fenix 6S or Forerunner 945 in a titanium case, that is an accurate comparison (battery sizes may vary to the space available though). The MARQ even ran virtually the same software as the FR 945 at launch, but diverged after a few iterations. I have a Fenix 5+ and the MARQ is definitely not a 5+ in different clothes; it’s far superior.

• I understand your statement, I'm just not sure how you reached the conclusion.   I would like to learn.

Here is what I am basing my theory on...

fenix 5plus (not the X)
    Display Size: 1.2" diameter
    Display Resolution: 240 x 240 pixels
    Smartwatch: Up to 12 days

MARQ Driver, Aviator, Captain, Expedition and Athlete
    Display Size: 1.2" diameter
    Display Resolution: 240 x 240 pixels
    Smartwatch: Up to 12 days

fenix 6 (not the X)
    Display Size: 1.3" (diameter
    Display Resolution: 260 x 260 pixels
    Smartwatch: Up to 14 days

• Fenix 6S and Forerunner 945 have the same size and resolution of screen as the MARQ. The MARQ and 945 were released at around the same time too. The Fenix 6 series runs exactly the same software as the MARQ (just a few ‘styling’ variances as seen in the video I posted). It’s really clear that MARQ, 945 and Fenix 6 series have common internal hardware and are the same generation.

• Oh, I forgot to mention one of the biggest indicators of the generation. The Fenix 5+ had the old Mediatek GPS chip and older elevate WHR sensor. The MARQ, 945 and Fenix 6 series all share the same new Sony GPS chip and latest generation elevate WHR sensor (with Pulse Ox).

This should all be no surprise. Garmin did exactly the same trick with the MARQ’s predecessor, the Chronos. That was released 6 months ahead of the Fenix 5, but was the same internal hardware and runs the same software as the Fenix 5.

• You've got it !
    I was going to the same conclusion, with comparing Chronos and Marq. Same thing in between hardware gen and really nice-looking piece of jewelry in its time.

• Ok...This makes sense.  The GPS chip and WHR are really good indicators of the generation.   The only thing is the display  of the fenix 6 (not x not s) being larger than on the MARQs

I guess for me it is just of a wish to have the larger display and resolution and battery life to go along with the "larger price"!
    Never the less, there is no doubt that the MARQs are a beauty.     

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

Some really useful commentary here.

I am currently trying to decide on either an Fenix 6 Pro Titanium or a MARQ probably the Athlete version though quite possibly also with an extra 'dress' strap either in leather or titanium. I like the look of the Adventurer in a classical sense... but it's just not that sporty which for my purposes defeats the core point of needing the watch - as in... I think the Adventurer looks a tad out of place on a run / cycle etc. even if it's the slickest in the pub.

Generally, I prefer the looks of the MARQ, you can see the inherent build quality but there is no denying that out and out value favour the Fenix. My conclusion was coming down to the screen and the watch face considerations... after all... these are a major part of what you look at and the key interface you have with the watch. My questions if anyone can help answer are:

1 - are there any areas where the smaller screen on the MARQ has a negative effect except for map use (which I won't use much anyway)

1b - contrastingly is there any reason why the smaller screen is beneficial? part of me thinks the 'inner bezel' actually looks more proportional on the MARQ and comparatively squashed on the F6... am I kidding myself?

2 - I guess specifically for the Athlete, I get that really you are tied to that one standard watch face because otherwise the bezel kinda becomes useless... is everyone happy with that? Am I right in thinking it is more customisable now than it was originally?

2b - on the F6... the standard watch faces don't look as nice to me... they look simpler... and I'm not into the aftermarket fake Breitling type stuff... is that a fair verdict or am I making an unfair conclusion to give a point to the MARQs?

3 - I guess my only final thought which plays more towards an F6 is whether the more pronounced buttons will look / feel out of place in a sporting context... i.e. they look great as a general design point... but is the more rugged athletic design of the F6 inherently more suited to most sporting scenarios?

Anything else anyone want's to throw in to help me decide would be great. Price wise I have been offered a fairly good deal on the MARQ... it's more obviously but not so much more than the Titanium Fenix... I don't plan on changing it in a hurry so I want to make the right decision.

Thanks guys...

• I have the Aviator and the Fenix 6Pro Ti with Ti bracelet. I took off the Fenix and never looked back.

The small screen actually looks appropriate but, of course, it is a touch smaller.  Not an issue for me.

The Aviator evokes the Rolex Submariner which is a tried and trusted friend.  So I am biased.  And former Air Force.

I thought the Marq buttons looked over done but actually they work better.  I am used to them.

Use whatever watchface serves your needs and you like.  What you like will trump functionality most every time.

All smart watches are doomed to fairly short lifespans.  All watches have a personality.  I prefer the Marq.

• A lot of the answers to your questions are down to personal opinion/taste, so do bear that in mind with my responses:

1 - As I've got older my eyes find it more difficult to focus in low light conditions. so the bigger screen of the 6X is definitely helpful in low light conditions (I don't like to have the backlight brighter than 20% as it makes the watch very 'obvious' in very day use).  That said, the MARQ is perfectly fine and, as I had it before the 6X, I didn't know any better then and didn't think a bigger screen would be better at the time.  In summary, the bigger screen on an F6 is obviously better (not as good as the 6X), especially if you're eyesight is not as it once was, but the MARQ screen is fine.

1b - For the reasons I mentioned above, if the MARQ came with a bigger screen, I'd obviously take it. I can't see any specific benefits in the smaller screen size if there were a choice.

2 - I did initially try other watch faces on the MARQ (there are plenty of them - including all of the F6 ones less the Solar only ones, and CIQ ones of course...), but eventually I just settled on the default Athlete face.  The only customisation to the default MARQ Athlete watch face is switching between run and bike for the distance and fitness related metrics.  After time the whole novelty wears off and I'm not worried that I can't display swim data or something else; it's the look of the stock screen in daily use that appeals and keeps me using it.

2b - As previously mentioned, if you like the F6 watch faces, then they are there to use on the MARQ too (have your cake and eat it).

3 - The buttons work fine on the MARQ Athlete for sport and activity.

The bare titanium hybrid band for the MARQ is epic (and reassuringly expensive too).  Any of the QuickFit 22 brown leather bands look really good on it too.  I have posted pics and a video of the extra bands I have in this (link) thread.

If you're only going to buy MARQ or Fenix 6, then it will really come down to how important it is to have a watch that works every day and for formal wear vs what is optimum for activities and outdoor use.  If you have other watches to wear for work and smart occasions, then the F6 is probably going to be a better fit for you; but if you are after a Lord of the Rings style "one watch to rule them all", then the MARQ is probably a more appropriate choice. Ultimately you need to decide what's important to you, what you are going to use it for most over it's lifespan with you and which is most appropriate to meet your specific needs.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Crispin_Ellisdon

I've pushed the button and ordered the Athlete and got suckered into a Titanium strap to match for smarter occasions. Fingers crossed it lives up to expectations! I'm a sucker for a leather strap also so I think that will only be a matter of time Grinning

Pretty sure I will be happy... hopeful that Garmin will continue to release features for a little longer than with the Fenix line given the premium status - i.e. longer warranty hopefully = longer period of active development. The only thing I think will bug a little is not being able to change the run or cycle total to a slightly more engaging daily stat but at least I go into that with my eyes open.

Lockdown has boosted my training/exercise and intend to keep it there so hopefully this will help! Certainly it has to be more reliable than the Samsung I am using at the moment... it's so frustrating to finish an activity and find that the app crashed 5 mins in... hoping for a step up in function as well as looks!

Fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow.