This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elevation consistently inaccurate (reading too low)

I'm having issues with the Instinct reading lower elevation than it should, which results in considerably lower elevation gains than what you should be seeing. One might be tempted to blame this on sweat, poor weather conditions and what not, but that's actually not the case. I'm noticing this on a very short ride (roughly 11km). Start and finish elevation are typically within 5m of each other (which is IMHO fairly accurate). I've had three different devices prior to this one (cycling computers)

After looking more closely at the graphs, I've noticed that the Instinct just plain out ignores certain elevation gains, and instead chooses to think I'm riding a flat profile. It does so very consistently and given that the starting and ending point read the same elevation, I'm inclined to believe this is a sofware issue. Naturally, the watch mode is set to altimeter. 

So my question is whether this is a known issue and whether I can expect a fix. Difference of 40m in 11km is pretty big in my opinion. 

• Hey guys,

did anyone see improvements due to firmware-updates?

Im most of the time on the newest beta but the issue (slow altimeter height) seems still to pe present.

I sent a mail to the websales for hopefully forwarding it to the support/developers. 

My favourite solution would be (i think) simple: If GPS is on anyway --> Use GPS height

This would solve my problem to 100% --> If height for certain activities is important for me, i would activate GPS anyway --> Solved

Maybe there will be improvement in the future

• Hi SHU,

You can use the GPS elevation in the data fields displayed during the activity. However the ascent and recorded elevation will stil be based on the altimeter, you will have to apply correction in GC later on.

Concerning the firmware updates I don't know if that might be called improvements, but at least I have observed differences over the last few months.

The somehow "smoothing" issue that was mentionned here and on other threads has disappeared on my watch. I think the software used to have an algorithm to filter wrong data, but that it was also removing real data such as small elevation gains... Now it is much more sensitive, I guess because of software changes due to the so many user complaining.

The drawback is that it is highly sensitive to humidity. In particular when running I had systematically ~80m of elevation difference between my starting and ending points which were the same... When taking of the watch, no difference! When wearing it over long sleeves, the differences appears more slowly. So in my case it is clearly due to sweat humidity entering the sensor. At least I found a solution: I just put it under water a few minutes before running so that the sensot is already wet when calibrating at the beginning of the activity. Still frustrating... but at least elevation data are reliable.

•    I confirm, I have the same thing. Moreover, even calibration in an open area where there are no buildings and tall trees. In a calm state for half an hour left for calibration and data collection, both on GPS and DEM, this does not help. Even nearby does not fall into these numbers during calibration, the photo shows. I calibrated the exact height forcibly. The difference in walking is 20 minutes downhill, with a return to an elevation of 970 meters. The difference was 10 meters more than it should be, although it was exactly there, I don’t know how to programmatically take the height. but definitely it is software, and therefore it can be improved. I think that in 20 minutes of walking, the difference with respect to the exact data was 10 meters, should not be. It is not excusable for watches that are oriented for outdoor activities, outside the city, and for hiking. I hope that this error will be fixed. But it is not exactly. The time of this model may come to an end! Like my time for using watches from this company. After all, before this company heard its users even on the forums. I am very sorry that I changed this model under warranty for new ones, instead of returning the money. Thanks to Garmin for the old days.

• Thanks for replying:

i can see clearly in my data, that (also with the newest beta) the altimeter data is filtered and also delayed to all gps data and that the gps result stays much more consistent if im recording exactly the same track several days

--> Alitmeter heights are sometimes differing very very much ... in my case im absolutely sure that GPS is not a super exact solution but clearly the better one

For example for the same track:

Day1: alti = 51; GPS = 115

Day2: alti = 98; GPS = 109

--> No question that GPS is my choice

Regarding the option to manually switch to the corrected version:

- due to the fact, that im connected to Strava & Komoot and the recorded tracks are shared as soon as i press "Safe" on the Watch, the shared GPS data is always with altimeter

- Im not interested to manually switch settings for each and every activity

i dont see it as dark as you do!

--> I love my Garmin Instinct ... its the perfect watch for me

--> A litte software update / option in the settings could solve this for each and everyone

--> At the moment it is the "newest" Instinct, thats why i hope that feature updates like this can be possible

• I've owned the instinct for a week, have all the latest updates/firmware(7.2) and found that when i walk or run the same 3.5km flat route(calibrated altimeter to dem at start) to the same start/end location, it would show roughly 6m higher elevation at the end. Looking at friends with the forerunner 945 their tracks would always land within 1m or so at the same start/end. 

This time instead of Barometer->watch mode->auto, i used Barometer->watch mode -> altimeter and ran 6.5km over flat and hilly terrain (65m worth of climb). It came back within 1m elevation of the starting point, so I'm very happy with that. As well the peaks of the hills were consistent on returning within 1m. (both these tests had auto calibration before and during activities turned on)

So i guess I'll be using this setting from now on for all runs and will try hikes next. When being stationary at home ill leave it on watch mode auto just to keep an eye on the barometer for weather preductio etc. So it seems Garmin are giving too much weight to the barometer when in auto mode, especially considering it knows the user is moving around on the gps.

Edit: Just had a shower with it on in auto mode after run and it dropped my elevation 6m! Auto isn't doing it's job if it knows i haven't left the location and it drops 6m elevation when water gets in the barometer!

Love the watch in general and the gps accuracy, just couldn't stand seeing that inconsistency in elevation!

• "Barometer->watch mode -> altimeter"

Thats a good suggestion, I think it really helps!

• After owning this a bit longer, unfortunately the barometer->watch mode->altimeter gets large elevation errors if the pressure does in fact change during the run. So this isn't an acceptable solution.

I'm finding on occasion, 1minute after starting a run the elevation drops 60metres and then continues from that level for the remainer. This doesn't make sense as i calibrated the baro/altimeter, had on auto baro mode, walked for at least two minutes outside before commencing and the air was cool so not sweating that early into run and i don't recall any wind. 

Garmin support have ignored my email for nearly 2 weeks now, not too impressed. If there's no indication/acknowledgement or attempts to fix this issue then I'd consider this product defective. Will likely try to get it refunded and spend money on a different device. if unsuccessful, will raise it with the local consumer law as the product is not working to a reasonable standard. I'd understand a few metres off after a short jog but not 60m+

• I agree with you. I had the watch for 5 months now and I don't even bother adjusting the altitude anymore because it simply DOES NOT WORK. It's showing -112m now and it pisses me off because I bought this watch for this specific function. Garmin made me reset everything as if it had to do with the software update but the problems remain.
    The free app Cyclemeter has better readings than this watch. What a disappointment.

• I still am undecided if it's a hardware or software issue. What is by far the most frustrating aspect is the dead silence from Garmin. It's plastered all over their forums in at least 3 threads yet no official response is given, neither an acknowledgement of the issue, or any information on future fixes.

They seem to be ignoring my email as well, so both of this silence just tells me they know they are guilty of a defective product and are hoping it just slides. Do they not participate at all in their own forums, clearly we need answers?! I love the watch for everything else, and would happily keep it with knowledge of some future fix, but in the current stages I'm going to opt for a refund if i can convince the bloody store of this issue.

• I also have this problem. I wish I could record activities without the device elevation and just default to 'corrected elevation'