This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Montana 700i keeps turning off

I have a Montana 700i, actually it's my third unit and second cradle. Just after I bought my new 700i I found that it would randomly turn off. Sometimes this happens after a few hours, other times less than 30 mins. The other day it turned off twice in 30 mins. I have to press and hold the power button to turn it back on. When it restarts it just picks up where it left off. The unit has spent all of it's time so far in the car cradle in the car with the USB cable plugged into the 12v socket adaptor. 

The dealer has done all they could by replacing 2 units and the cradle so I've contacted Garmin AU, but that has been a frustrating process and I haven't gotten anywhere except to learn that someone else in Australia has the same fault.

Anyone else got the same issue ?

• Absolutely! It is NOT the cradle.

KR

• Since I first put this up I'm now on unit #4, a 750i and cradle #3. Since I got this one in September last year, (I think) it's turned off 4 times, whiich is less than previous units. I don't use it every day. Sometimes it's used daily for a week or so, other times I may not use it for a couple of weeks.

What ever the issue, it's not the cradle. I'd be interested to know if the InReach less 700 has the same issue ?

I do very much appreciate that my local dealer and Garmin have replaced units and cradles at their cost, but the problem still exists and I'd just like my AU$1K plus GPS to only turn off when I want it to.

• Hi,

It´s not a cradle issue, I always used my 700i in a byclicle cradle ( not powered) so I powered my unit using the micro-usb port with a usb generic cable and some times it turned off , I even thoughtk it was due becouse of ignoring GPS instructions while navigating but wasn´t that. The only thing I can confirm is before firmware 15.X I´ve never experience that, but I don´t know if it was by chance.

From my point of view, Garmin cann´t sell a 1000$ brick and think there is no consecuences, may be not now but the future is comming soon. They maked a very good GPS , so it is in their hands weather solve it or not. If it is the unit per se, I´m not very confident about the posibility of a recall as BMW or other makes do , I'm afraid we'll be left to fend for ourselves, and in the best case our brick will keep turnnig off sometimes.

I hope I´ll be wrong.

• 3 days ago I updated the FW to the latest 15.20. Since then it has stayed ON.... Hope?

This has happened before, but after a manual restart or when I start moving the boat it starts randomly turn itself off again. 

Anybody else any experience after the FW update?

• I have bad feeling, that I had unexpected shutdown even with this firmware...

• might or might not respond here. It appears that there might two (or more) issues involved.

One has to do with mount issues, particularly in rugged environments (for example, off-road motor biking). Anecdotally, based on what I have seen on the forums, this is just poor design. When used this way, the mount may actually damage the contacts on the device itself. I have seen posts which state that Garmin has replaced the unit, sometimes more than once, under warranty. Problem just recurs because design has not changed. But I don't use it this way and I have no personal experience.

The other has to do with random shutdowns not related to the mount. I have seen examples involving routing. And examples that don't seem to have any common denominator. It's not clear if this is a hardware or a firmware issue.

Bottom line: Particularly if you can reproduce the problem, open a support ticket. This is the best way to get current information on the problem, whatever it is.

• btw: Touratech used to make a metal cradle for Montana 6x.

• I loved mine. They do not make one for the 700, at least not yet. I don't think they have plans from what I read to make one though.

KR

• I have 15.20 since its release. I have had several shutdowns. No more or less than I did before. And you DO NOT have to have it in a mount to have it shutdown.

KR