This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Montana 700i keeps turning off

I have a Montana 700i, actually it's my third unit and second cradle. Just after I bought my new 700i I found that it would randomly turn off. Sometimes this happens after a few hours, other times less than 30 mins. The other day it turned off twice in 30 mins. I have to press and hold the power button to turn it back on. When it restarts it just picks up where it left off. The unit has spent all of it's time so far in the car cradle in the car with the USB cable plugged into the 12v socket adaptor. 

The dealer has done all they could by replacing 2 units and the cradle so I've contacted Garmin AU, but that has been a frustrating process and I haven't gotten anywhere except to learn that someone else in Australia has the same fault.

Anyone else got the same issue ?

• Yap, mine too. After almost 4 days it turned itself off.... Same *** as before. No solution yet :( Today I moved some nautical miles from the previous harbour. The 700i did not like that....

• I had been taking long trips 5-7 hours each day this last week. It has turned off several times a day.

• I have a 700 without the inreach. My unit powers off spontaneously (more than once per hour). I use the unit on a powered mount on a motorcycle.

• We're very sorry to hear your Montana is shutting off randomly when inserted in your powered mount.

We're currently working on a solution and hope to have it available soon, we sincerely appreciate your patience.

In the meantime, rather than using the mount to provide power to the Montana, you can plug in the microUSB cable from your vehicle to the Montana instead, which should hopefully prevent this issue temporarily.

If your Montana shuts down unrelated to the mount that issue is being tracked and looked at separately. I will be reaching out to those that have mentioned the issue with the mount and device shut down individually. 

• So for the time being it is better to use a NON powered Montana mount on my ATV/quad to save the connector?

Thanks to the battery capacity, I can (for at least for the moment) live without powered mount on my motorcycle and ATV.

In my car, I do use powered mount, but there ale no strong vibrations.

• Hi Leslie,

This issue has now been ongoing for a considerable time. We appreciate the effort Garmin is putting in to fix it, and while obviously you can't give an exact time-scale can you at least let us know how Garmin's fix is progressing? Will it be available soon, or are we talking years?

Most of us who have experienced the issue have had the same response from Garmin: "We are aware of the issue and working on a fix. Thank you for your patience". Can you give us something with a bit more detail?

We have supported Garmin by buying a product in good faith - how long will we need to be patient for in order for the product to work as advertised?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

• Add me to the list of those experiencing this issue with the Mount

• This has nothing to do with the mount. Please read all posts. Please talk with support in Norway. They know this is related to the unit itself. Regardless if you use the USB power or the mount.

• Unfortunately it is. However, this thread has two separate issues that we are tracking. One with the mount and device, and one with just the device. The best way to differentiate is to contact Garmin Support so we can gather more information. At this point I have already private messaged you to gather more inforemation on your issue. 

• Same problem for me, my unit turns off regardless using the mount or not. Its my second unit and same problem again.