This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Montana 700i keeps turning off

I have a Montana 700i, actually it's my third unit and second cradle. Just after I bought my new 700i I found that it would randomly turn off. Sometimes this happens after a few hours, other times less than 30 mins. The other day it turned off twice in 30 mins. I have to press and hold the power button to turn it back on. When it restarts it just picks up where it left off. The unit has spent all of it's time so far in the car cradle in the car with the USB cable plugged into the 12v socket adaptor. 

The dealer has done all they could by replacing 2 units and the cradle so I've contacted Garmin AU, but that has been a frustrating process and I haven't gotten anywhere except to learn that someone else in Australia has the same fault.

Anyone else got the same issue ?

• I know, it But Garmin did not consider it necessary to update my device six days ago, which was when I needed it. I connected my 700i through express, just the afternoon before I my trip and the answer was your device is updated to last version (15.10) , that was upgraded on my 700i two weeks before.

The situation is in some point that I no longer give importance to the way in which Garmin gives his services, who cares, if you know the results. I made the mistake of upgrading and now, I have to decide whether to downgrade or upgrade to 15.20. Or if I sell my unit to someone innocent nerd enough to buy it.

Sorry , but I don´t know what to do if keep beeing on Garmin and give myself anf Garmin another oportunity or end our relationship sell my 700i and go back to my 62st, that fortunatelly Garmin forgot.

It is not logical that every time you have to update your hand shakes and you consider deciding which previous firmware has a better balance of things to lose

Thank you for your time

• Try to put a piece of plastic or similar between the back of the gps (taped to the battery) and the craddle where you use it, Firmly fit the battery against the unit.
    Since I did it I have stopped having this problem and the small power cuts too, simple I+D.
  • I don´t use the cradel , I just connect to the microusb port with a magnetic micro usb plug and the wire connect with it , lots of hours of working till I upgraded. Thats all

• Ok , mates

I finally find a logical thing in this caos. I select " not to switch off" if the DC is discontinued.

I tested for a whole day at home with a phone charger and a cable of micro usb type, and..... no problems , the whole time it remained "ON".

Then the next day I started a motorbike trip with a micro usb cable, and looks like working fine , but at the end of the day I try a route but I decided no to take into account what The GPS said , becouse I decided to travel to the next city, the GPS  and again turn back, turn back , but I know where I was goin and the it happened : IT CRASH DOWN , it switched off . Next day I follow all the time the GPS  directions and........No problem.

So for the first time there is a thing that can be understood

That´s all I can say

Thank you

• J’ai le mème probleme apres plusieurs tentative de reglage et de methode de connection cela se produit toujours? 

• Open a support ticket. Garmin-Andrew is no longer involved directly with the forums. is the current contact. But a support ticket is also an option.

• I just swamped my Zumo XT under warranty for a new Montana 700i at Best Buy and I'm having the same issue with it turning off randomly. My Zumo XT mount on the actual unit broke during a fall on my ADV bike so looked at this unit for a more robust mount and also Inreach capabilities. Might be regretting my dession.

• I agree with you - the XT is sturdier.  One of my customers who only does serious off roar riding, bought a Montana too but the cradle power failed so often after 2-3 months so it was replaced by Garmin under warranty.  Same thing happened to the replacement.  So he got a total refund for the whole kit and bought a zumo XT.  That was at least 18 months ago and no problem yet. 

• The problem is not the Craddle. It is the Montana 700i itself.