This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Montana 700i keeps turning off

I have a Montana 700i, actually it's my third unit and second cradle. Just after I bought my new 700i I found that it would randomly turn off. Sometimes this happens after a few hours, other times less than 30 mins. The other day it turned off twice in 30 mins. I have to press and hold the power button to turn it back on. When it restarts it just picks up where it left off. The unit has spent all of it's time so far in the car cradle in the car with the USB cable plugged into the 12v socket adaptor. 

The dealer has done all they could by replacing 2 units and the cradle so I've contacted Garmin AU, but that has been a frustrating process and I haven't gotten anywhere except to learn that someone else in Australia has the same fault.

Anyone else got the same issue ?

• It’s been a while but have had the opportunity to need to plug in our replacement Montana overnight with it on. Software up to date. I had it plugged in and using the anchor watch. Woke up in the middle of the night and it was off. Hit the power button and it came right up, as though the screen was turned off by double clicking the power button. It was not a full boot up as previously occurred. 

During this time it appears we drifted outside our swing circle and I never heard an alarm. As this is to aid us in not dragging anchor into the rocks or another boat, it’s quite distressing that it is useless if plugged in overnight. 

• If the f/w is up to date, please open a support ticket. Otherwise, update f/w and try again. Then open a support ticket if it still powers down.

• Can I open a ticket for this same issue? Thanks.

• Yes. My 700i keeps shutting down intermittently. Starts up again with a push of the power button. Annoying. Power on full time in the rugged mount. Software is up to date. Power supply is fine. Come on Garmin, you can do better than this. 

• The Rugged Mount is unreliable.  Garmin Part 010-12881-03.  A customer had 2 of his off road bikes set up with the mounts, both lasted 2 months and then gave intermittent power supply to the Montana 700.  The next 2 mounts (warranty replacements) also failed after 2 months.  So now he uses a zumo XT and has had no bother since August. 

• I've had an update from Garmin. They have identified the problem, (not detailed other than it's not the mount - no surprise for me.) and are currently working on a hardware fix. No firm ETA on the fix atm but it appears to be a couple of months away yet and may involve replacing devices under warranty. 

I sincerely hope Garmin takes customer care seriously and follows through on this with a permanent fix and replaces our faulty units. Too many manufactures these days think it's ok to shaft their customers and treat warranties as a joke. (Looking squarely at most car manufacturers here, particularly Ford and Toyota.)

I look forward to my replacement unit !.

• They indicated the hardware issue is in the Montana 7x0?

• My 750i with firmware 10.50 also started now to turn off, can already happen after a few minutes. But this happens outside AMPS mount.

• I’ve been running mine for about five days straight with no further issue, at least so far. On USB, on battery for several hours, back on USB, in the mount, and hasn’t turned itself off yet as it did previously one time with this replacement. The first one would shut off routinely between 1-15 hours when on USB or the mount.  I’m hesitant to start yet another ticket unless I can get it to fail.

Add to that I’m getting burned out on another unrelated issue trying to update nautical charts for my 700i. Garmin was very good about it at their end but now looks like something else somewhere between their servers, Verizon broadband, Microsoft and my inadequate laptop.

• I just recently bought a new 750i and I am having the same issue on Firmware 8.30.

I have never used the AMPs cradle ever - and out of the box on a full battery, I have experienced the random shutdowns on many occasions. I will be in the middle of different things - interacting with the menus and the unit will literally just shut off to a black screen. Sometimes the unit is rock solid. The shutting down seemed to occur when scanning for wifi networks, doing birdseye imagery, entering a text message...never during plain old map use.

I do NOT believe this shutdown / random shutdown has anything to do with an AMPs cradle, as mine has never been connected to one.

I'm currently updating the firmware to version 10.90 and will see if it keeps having the same issue.