New 2024 inReach Consumer Subscription Plan Changes question

Hey Garmin-Leslie,

one question for clarification: if I switch from a Mini 2 with Safety plan to a new Standard plan, I am not able send photos/voice messages via the Messenger app, because this is only possible with the new Messenger Plus due to hardware changes? I have not read this, maybe I have overlooked it? Otherwise there should be more clarification about that!

• Very sneaky on Garmin’s part, it’s a secret hidden plan basically. It looks to me like I would only save $4.50 a month on the Enabled feature as compared to my annual safety plan and that’s just in a standby mode, not using any inreach features. If I remember I think I get 10 free messages per month. On the Enabled feature it would be about 70 cents Canadian per message. Probably not worth the switch.

• I can't see that my query has been answered in the thread thus far. I have a suspended Annual Plan (and I use the Freedom Plan 2 or 3 times a year during trips). I have just paid my 35GBP annual renewal (and I would love Garmin to explain why this is the same as the USD price when the rate is currently 1.33 : 1). I digress.

Having just paid the annual activation charge, I am only offered my original Freedom plan to restart. If I wanted the new 'Enabled' mode for general use (this does seem like a good concept for me), do I have to pay a NEW ACTIVATION CHARGE to switch to the new plan family?

- would be great to get clarification pls. And also a commitment to a fair exchange rate policy. Thx.

• What plan do you have exactly? A "suspended annual plan" does not exist in the old model. It is Annual Contract or Freedom, and only Freedom can be suspended. 

So assuming you have a Freedom plan, the migration to the new plan model will only start in December 2024 (as mentioned in the FAQs). So if you just had your annual renewal you are still in the old plan model until your next annual renewal in a year.

As for exchange rates, don't forget that outside of USA tax is included in the amount while in the USA it is not. For the UK the VAT is 20% I believe. Also it is not uncommon for companies to add some margin to the exchange rate to accommodate for exchange rate fluctuations.

• Yes. Sorry for terminology. It is an Freedom plan (suspended) and I have recently paid the Annual Program Fee.

So. If I wanted to adopt the 'Enabled' model for occasional use throughout the year, do I have to Cancel everything and pay a new Activation Fee? 

You make a good point about dates and I did see the December 2024 comment. It does say that I can elect to change earlier than my next renewal date.

Fair point on Taxes - but don't let them off too lightly Slight smile

• So I checked this for my own suspended Freedom account, when I reactivate from my account I get the option to stay in the old model, select Enabled state or choose one of the new plans. So that would mean that you already can opt for the Enabled state without having to wait for the migration to happen.

• I wonder if actually selecting Enabled will "upgrade" your account and lose the ability to suspend again. Or will it keep allowing suspension until your annual account renewal date...

• You are right. Thank you for checking. I was concerned that if I selected 'Reactivate' I might end up going down a one-way rabbit hole. Looks like I can adopt the 'Enabled' plan from today if I wished without incurring a new Activation fee. Will do some maths to weigh up options.

• Pretty sure that is the case. Notes from FAQ:
    "If you choose to change to one of our new plans before your next annual renewal date, you will not be able to return to your previous plan."

• Enabled state is part of the new subscription model, so my assumption is that you cannot go back to the old model if you make that change.

• If they are migrating Freedom plan users in December, are we going to get reimbursed for the unused portion of the $35 annual fee we paid?