New 2024 inReach Consumer Subscription Plan Changes question

Hey Garmin-Leslie,

one question for clarification: if I switch from a Mini 2 with Safety plan to a new Standard plan, I am not able send photos/voice messages via the Messenger app, because this is only possible with the new Messenger Plus due to hardware changes? I have not read this, maybe I have overlooked it? Otherwise there should be more clarification about that!

• In addition, it is unclear (to ME, anyway) how the 7.99/month "enabled" state is used. This statement from the FAQ is unclear to me.

Essential, Standard, and Premium plans no longer have the option to suspend service. However, if you start to change or cancel your subscription an Enabled state of operation will be presented. The Enabled state provides a way of keeping the inReach device active and ready for use in an emergency situation at a low monthly cost. Enabled includes unlimited SOS and pay-as-you-go pricing for other features like messaging and tracking.

Alternatively, some users may benefit from cancelling their service during the off season. For example, if you only need inReach satellite communication features for one or two months out of the year, it will be more cost effective to cancel your service and then reactivate it again the following year.

• I read the Enabled status as a fourth plan level where you have unlimited SOS messaging and still have the possibility to use tracking or messaging but on a pay per use basis.

If you fully want to cancel your subscription you can do so at any moment but you need to pay the activation fee when subscribing again. So basically a “manual” Freedom plan that is not bound to a yearly cycle. (and also higher activation fee).

• Right, this is a huge difference from the Freedom plan if you were going to suspend and resume for individual trips in a year.

The Freedom plan has one annual charge similar to this new "activation" fee, and then individual months run at the monthly rate.

This new plan seems to mean you would have to cancel and pay a new "activation" fee one for every trip, which makes it much more expensive if you do a few trips per year.

Will they have a grandfathered way to continue using the Freedom plan for multiple years into the future?  If not, I think I should make use of my REI 1 year return policy and reject this Garmin bait and switch...

• Yes I agree, for people who only use the device for a couple of non-consecutive months per year the new plans are way more expensive. But I guess that is exactly what Garmin wants to address with the new plan structure...

As I read it in the FAQ the new plan will be in effect on the next annual renewal date of a Freedom plan, so no grandfathering for Freedom plans it seems. Only current annual contracts keep existing as-is unless the user changes the plan.

• If you’re on the annual contract safety plan because you don’t use your device that much and wanted the cheapest deal, but want it ready to use anytime. The Enabled state might be a cheaper annual option. But then you’re jumping ship so you better be sure, and do the math.

• I literally got my inReach Mini 2 yesterday and was going to activate it tomorrow.

Instead, I'm now returning it as the new "simplified" plans are simply unaffordable for anyone that doesn't need a perpetual subscription.

Congratulations Garmin, you've successfully convinced me to never buy one of your products again.

• I don’t blame you, it’s just becoming too much, pay big bucks for a device, then pay a ridiculous fee for a computer to activate it to work and then a big monthly fee. Maybe others will throw in the towel too.

• Let`s say, I only need my device 2 months a year with Essential Plan ($ 14,99 month):

12 months

• $ 39,99 activation fee
    • 12 X $ 14,99 Essential plan
    • =  $ 219,8 for 1year  (= $ 399,68 for 2 years)

2 months/year and cancel contract 

• $ 39,99 activation fee
    • 2 x $ 14,99 Essential plan
    • cancel contract
    • = $ 69,97 for 1 year (= $ 139,94 for 2 years)

2 months/year and Enabled 10 months

• $ 39,99 activation fee
    • 2 x $ 14,99 Essential plan
    • 10 x $ 7,99 Enabled
    • = $ 149,96 for 1 year ( =  $ 259,84 for 2 years)

Have I overlooked/wrongly considered something? Ok, the Enabled thing has the advantage, your device is ready to use, you don´t have to do the activation process again, you don`t have to pay the activation fee again, but...(ok, it is the users decision which option he chooses!).

Maybe Garmin should integrate a plan calculator, that would be very customer-friendlyStuck out tongue winking eye

Btw: and customers with a non Messenger Plus iR device (Mini 2, Messenger (1); 66/67i etc.) can´t use the sending pics via satellite functionality (due to hardware limitations), but have to pay for that with the new plans...???

• Your calculations look correct.

The Enabled option looks interesting if you just want to be able to use the device for SOS messaging, and some occasional messaging or tracking, while still having the ability to switch to a different plan a couple of times per year if needed.

You can still "emulate" the old freedom model by canceling the subscription and subscribing again the next year.

The real disadvantage of the new plans structure is when you suspend your plan multiple times per year. In the old model this was no issue, but now you either have to switch to Enabled or cancel the subscription and pay the activation fee again.

So in one way the model became simpler, but in other ways it became more complex :) And the fact that the product page doesn't mention the Enabled option for consumer plans is interesting as well.

• Guys I’m in Canada. Maybe I’m missing something but it looks like Enabled is a plan here, plus what’s with the suspend fee at the bottom. 17.99 per month is the cheapest fee I can find now, currently I pay 14.95 per month for the annual safety plan. I cannot find a cheaper Enabled plan, maybe it only shows up when you go to cancel your current plan. It seems confusing.