Charge for Text Message while on Data

I am concerned being charged for text messages while on my phone data.  Per Garmin: Messages sent using a wireless connection or cellular data on your phone do not incur data charges or additional charges on your inReach subscription. Messages received may incur charges if message delivery is attempted over both the Iridium satellite network and the internet. So I risk being charged for an incoming text, while on my data, if they attempted it through the satellite network.  Something doesn't sound right about that.  So I am in cell service, make 100 texts that I am not charged for, but I receive 100 text replying to my texts and I get charged because several of them were also sent to the network.  What am I missing?

• Hello  

If a message is acknowledged (opened & read in the app) via Wi-Fi or Cell, then it shouldn't go to Satellite. If it's ignored in the app it is intended to go to Satellite. 

You can see another thread where instances of this were discussed https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/inreach/f/inreach-messenger/338075/billing-for-received-messages-while-inreach-turned-off

Essentially: 

• If a message isn’t opened in the Messenger App while connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, the app is fully closed, not allowed to run in the background, or not connected with your inReach device, received messages will be delivered to the inReach device via satellite.
    • When you go off-grid, the app will switch to satellites when necessary to continue sending messages as long as a compatible inReach device is powered on and connected with the app.

With a scenario where there is a Wi-Fi or Cellular connection and a Bluetooth connection between the Messenger App on your phone and inReach device there wouldn’t be a satellite message.

For instance, if you have the app on your phone and the device connected but then leave your phone in your car with cellular data or wifi, but take the device out while hiking, the Bluetooth connection gets broken. If you receive messages during this time they will be sent to the device via satellite.

If you turn on the inReach device and there is no Bluetooth connection, and you receive a message it will be a satellite message. 

• Yeah, so it sounds like I have zero control in people sending me messages at a cost to me if I am in a satellite only location.  There is no way to prevent that or not take messages or block them from having them come in and incuring a charge?  Sounds like a great revenue creation schema from Garmin.  If this is true, I will be returning my Garmin within the 90 day period back to REI.  With Iphone coming out with new stuff for backpackers, etc.,  I can't see maintaining the Garmin platform too at the level of service and oddness I am seeing.

• To be clear, the Messenger is no different that any other iR device with regard to incoming messages. NOBODY can send an unsolicited message to the device (either via satellite or via the confusing Internet connection). 

There are only a couple of ways to send a message to an iR device:

1) Reply to an SMS sent FROM the device to a cell phone. You reply via the normal text message app on the phone. Unless, of course, the Messenger app has hijacked the recipient's number. In that case, it's via the Messenger app. Requires cell coverage.

2) Use the link in an email received FROM the device to open a web page. From there, you can "reply" to the email. Note that you CANNOT reply directly to the email from your email app. Requires Internet access.

3) Send to the device from MapShare. This is only possible if you permit it in your MapShare settings. And if the sender has access to your MapShare page. (You did set a password on it, didn't you?). Requires Internet access.

iR to iR messages are an exception. Any iR device user who knows your iR address (that thing that looks like an email address) can send to your device. Requires sender to have an iR device. I don't think this is the scenario you are asking about.

• Thank you.  That helps.  So it only looks like the person I send something to can reply and charge my account.  Still a little shady that I can get charged for all of their replies that I cannot ever control as long as they have the link, but at least it's not open to the general public to text me.  They should allow me to inactivate that reply link by request if needed.  Not that its a big deal, I am just not into charges being able to incur that are 100% out of my control.

• The ability to reply to a specific SMS does expire after a few months. But that's not enough to offset your concern. 

The whole "replies only" scheme is also an anti-spam measure. Nobody wants to pay for spam. Otherwise, I think the assumption is that if you sent something to somebody, you will be interested in their reply.