Charge for Text Message while on Data

I am concerned being charged for text messages while on my phone data.  Per Garmin: Messages sent using a wireless connection or cellular data on your phone do not incur data charges or additional charges on your inReach subscription. Messages received may incur charges if message delivery is attempted over both the Iridium satellite network and the internet. So I risk being charged for an incoming text, while on my data, if they attempted it through the satellite network.  Something doesn't sound right about that.  So I am in cell service, make 100 texts that I am not charged for, but I receive 100 text replying to my texts and I get charged because several of them were also sent to the network.  What am I missing?

• Hello  

If a message is acknowledged (opened & read in the app) via Wi-Fi or Cell, then it shouldn't go to Satellite. If it's ignored in the app it is intended to go to Satellite. 

You can see another thread where instances of this were discussed https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/inreach/f/inreach-messenger/338075/billing-for-received-messages-while-inreach-turned-off

Essentially: 

• If a message isn’t opened in the Messenger App while connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, the app is fully closed, not allowed to run in the background, or not connected with your inReach device, received messages will be delivered to the inReach device via satellite.
    • When you go off-grid, the app will switch to satellites when necessary to continue sending messages as long as a compatible inReach device is powered on and connected with the app.

With a scenario where there is a Wi-Fi or Cellular connection and a Bluetooth connection between the Messenger App on your phone and inReach device there wouldn’t be a satellite message.

For instance, if you have the app on your phone and the device connected but then leave your phone in your car with cellular data or wifi, but take the device out while hiking, the Bluetooth connection gets broken. If you receive messages during this time they will be sent to the device via satellite.

If you turn on the inReach device and there is no Bluetooth connection, and you receive a message it will be a satellite message.