Billing for received messages while InReach turned off

I'm considering getting an InReach Messenger plus subscription, but the following question is keeping me on the fence:

Which path do messages take that are received with both my phone out of wi-fi/cell signal and the InReach device turned off (or without a view of the sky), assuming I reconnect to mobile data first?

In other words, is the service smart enough to only pull messages over satellite when needed/cancel them when received via the app first? Or would I end up paying for messages received while the device is sitting in a drawer turned off, while my phone is temporarily out of signal or battery?

Would be great if somebody from Garmin could respond here, or if somebody could test this on their device/plan (turn off both InReach and phone, receive an inbound message, turn on the phone first, InReach later: does the message count as a billed satellite message, or as a free "internet" one?).

• Here you go:

Messages That Do Not Count Towards Your Plan's Included Message Limit

• Outbound Preset or Check-in Messages
      • NOTE: Check-in messages have replaced preset messages as of September 27th, 2022. inReach® accounts set up prior to this date will still have preset messages available, but any new accounts created after this date will use check-in messages.
      • Each inbound response counts as a message against your limit.
    • Up to 5 test messages. Any test messages after 5 will count towards your limit.
    • Internet Messages
      • This is only applicable when using the Garmin Messenger app.
      • Messages sent or received while using the Garmin Messenger app will not count towards your plan's included message limit as long as your phone has cellular coverage available. If cellular coverage is not available, messages sent over satellite will still count towards your plan's included message limit.“

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=4DQEVs8psN4KdWnMfOSow6

• has posted the official Garmin position on this. The implication is that you won't be charged if you use the app and if you have cell DATA coverage when the message is sent or received. This begs the actual question of which channel (satellite or cellular data) is actually USED to send/receive the message. I don't think anybody outside of Garmin programmers really know  how that decision is made.

• Yeah, I asked because the official position does not really address my question, i.e. what happens if both devices (phone and InReach) are off/out of coverage, and messages are read on the phone first Sweat smile

I've used a competing product in the past and it did manage to "cancel" queued satellite messages in that way, so it must be possible somehow. Would be good to know what Garmin/InReach does.

• You can open a support ticket. I believe that Garmin's position will be "you don't get charged, so the actual transmission method does not matter."

• Hello If the app is connected to your inReach device and the device is powered on and you are outside of cellular/wi-fi range it will use satellite messaging. However, there are times it may not see it as a cellular/wi-fi message if not read in the app. Contacts and Sending Messages With the Garmin Messenger App

• If a message isn’t opened in the Messenger App while connected to Wi-Fi or cellular,  the app is fully closed, not allowed to run in the background, or not connected with your inReach device, received messages will be delivered to the inReach device via satellite.
    • When you go off-grid, the app will switch to satellites when necessary to continue sending messages as long as a compatible inReach device is powered on and connected with the app.
  • Hi Leslie, thanks for the response!

So just to make sure: Does that mean that if I *do* open and read all pending messages while connected to Wi-Fi or cellular on the phone before turning on the InReach again, it'll definitely not incur any charges?

I've read reports by other people in this forum about incurring charges while the phone was connected to both cellular data and the InReach; I understand that if the phone doesn't have great signal, that can sometimes happen. But if the above is correct, I could avoid these charges by turning off the InReach in these situations, and only turning it back on after I've read all messages on the phone once I get back.

• Hello, that is correct, with that scenario where there is a WiFi or Cellular connection and a Bluetooth connection between the Messenger App on your phone and inReach device there wouldn’t be a satellite message.

For instance, if you have the app on your phone and the device connected but then leave your phone in your car with cellular data or wifi, but take the device out while hiking, the bluetooth connection gets broken. If you receive messages during this time they will be sent to the device via satellite.

If you turn on the inReach device and there is no bluetooth connection, and you receive a message it will be a satellite message. 

• > with that scenario where there is a WiFi or Cellular connection and a Bluetooth connection between the Messenger App on your phone and inReach device there wouldn’t be a satellite message.

> If you turn on the inReach device and there is no bluetooth connection, and you receive a message it will be a satellite message

These are both not really my scenario though.

It is: Both the phone and InReach are off. I turn on the InReach first, and open all the messages that are pending. Then, I turn on the InReach too. Will anything count as a satellite message in this scenario.

• Hello again, I wanted to be sure I understand you right you said "Both the phone and InReach are off. I turn on the InReach first, and open all the messages that are pending. Then, I turn on the InReach too." You mean you turn the phone on first, then open and read the messages pending and then turn on the inreach? 

To clarify this situation either way if both devices are off and the phone is turned on first and you open and read the pending messages and you have cellular data/wifi it will be a cellular messages. Likewise the inverse is the same. If the inReach is turned on first it will be satellite messages. The message picks the first route available. 

• Perfect, that was what I wanted to ensure. Thank you, really appreciate the follow-up!