Incorrect GPS Data

I have been noticing that many of my GPS distances are incorrect. This is different than the 4.10 issue where the distances do not update until you laser something.

I see a lot of front pins where I laser them, and the GPS information is showing the front of the green, or even in some cases further back (meaning the pin appears to be in front of the green, not on the front of the green).

I have done a reset on my device hoping to fix this, but the information still often enough appears incorrect that I just do not trust the GPS data on my device anymore. I did not have this issue on my Z80 on the same courses.

Is this incorrect course data, or is there something wrong with my device?

• That’s interesting, especially if no issues on the Z80. Have you tried comparing the raw yardages you get on the Z82 compared to one of the GPS golf apps on your phone (phone GPS isn’t actually the most accurate BTW, usually stand alone device is much more accurate)? I haven’t bothered to compare to anything, but haven’t noticed any issues on the courses I play. 

• I have exactly the same problem. Distance to flag 93m, distance to front 96m. Then when I did an upgrade by connecting my garmin to my laptop, it was reading different didtances to front and back than a friend with the same Garmin. Wondering if this is a Golf Club related issue or Garmin issue. Model, Z82

• Updated May 19, 2023: 

Garmin is currently in the process of reviewing user reports regarding concerns with distance. 

If Installing the Latest Software and Course Updates to the Approach Z82 does not resolve distance concerns on the Z82, then I would like to gather more information from you. 

I will be directly reaching out to users comments to this thread that are experiencing concerns with distances on their unit for more info. 

• I’ve reported this in the  on course inaccuracy, but it appears to happen on different courses.  Yardage to pin is off the green, E.g.distance to pin is greater to green back edge by 7-8 yards.Front of green and  Hazards inaccurate too.  And yes, I’ve updated the device.    

Have confirmed this many times with playing partners using a variety of  GPS devices. 
    This is all pretty disappointing for a $900 Device, when a $200 laser and a $200 watch is all I need, or not actually as I already have both, I thought the Z82 would be a big improvement to measuring and help speed up the game.  

• I’ve seen similar issues at my course. At least in my testing, I found the yardages listed as accurate (both GPS and laser), but the UI would show the yellow arc when you laser a flag as off the green, but the yardage is accurate. Almost just like a UI issue and not inaccurate yardages.

• I have submitted a Golf Course report. This is fairly consistent at courses in the area that the values are off however. I do regularly update my software and do use yardage for units of measure.

• So this gps distance is a problem for many with Z 82 , the inaccuracies appear to be particular to this model. Fine for Garmin to say Update regularly, but that doesn’t fix anything. I’m paying more attention to these inaccuracies now and it’s frustrating.  And checking against physically measuring pin to front and back distances and multiple other devices, which are accurate within a Yard or Two,  it’s illogical to suggest using metres vs yards would have any effect on the accuracy of the device   

Garmin,  you have our money and we have your problem. How  about a fix instead of “update your device and use the laser”?

• I've submitted these reports 3 months ago, done multiple updates to my device since, and the yardages are still consistently off by 10 yards to all other GPS devices my playing partners use, which match the apps I tend to use for score tracking. The laser is spot on. However, the GPS distances are more accurate on my phone than on my Z82.

• Garmin did contact me some time ago, wanted me to take a picture through the eyepiece of the incorrect gps yardages , like they don’t believe all these reports.  A pain. Can’t understand why they don’t do the research themselves , obviously a widespread problem. I still use it on unfamiliar courses, but mainly for distance to hazards off the tee. Use my old Bushnell v4 on my home course as I know where everting is.