Distance wrong on approach s60.

I have had measurements done by the course maintenance staff and fellow golfers using other garmin golf gps, and none ever agree with the distance from my fairway shot to the centre of the green. It reads on average 15 yards shorter. What can I do to get the right distance? For the cost of the s60 it should be much more accurate. May be you should send me a new GPS that shows the correct distance?????

Top Replies

All Replies

• My watch is usually within 5 yards or so from my friends range finders. I’ve had days where my watch is way off though. I’ll stop scoring and restart the golf app on my watch so it can acquire GPS coordinates again. I’ve never had my watch off by 15 yards though, hopefully Chris from Garmin has an idea for you to remedy that.  

• I apologize for not seeing your post sooner. A GPS product should be closer to your position than what you are experiencing with your Approach S60. Please note: GPS satellites are intentionally configured by governments for all consumer use products to not be 'exact' to your position.

(Mentioned by . Thank you!)

Please check your Approach S60 settings to ensure your golf watch is set to Yards and not Meters. If your distance continues to be significantly off, please send me a Private Message. Thank you!

• My approach x40 gps watch is giving reading of 20 yards or more that are off from other peoples gps and golf cart readings, also the markings on the fairway. I already updated my watch on garmin express with all the course updates and it worked for a week, Now it is off again.  Some holes are correct also, but other holes are off by at least 20 yards. Please help

• I am sorry your Approch X40 GPS distance is off. Please contact Golf Product Support and we will gladly assist you further.

• Just logged into forum and saw your post. I have had distance issues from day 1. Garmin not much help really. It's really obvious when my playing partner has the same watch and we have different yardages. Up to 12 yds discrepancy on one hole. I mostly use mine to track score and stats now. I have an old Skycaddie handheld which I reactivated for getting accurate distances. It is bang on whenever I stand on a marker. In hindsight I should have bought the watch from Skycaddie. Expensive mistake for sure. 

• Just to make sure you have the "yardage" and "meter" setting done accordingly to your metrics standard you are using.

When you go to round of golf do you get the red circle to aquire the gps data points before proceeding. 

Try resetting the watch if not, to make it appear for new gps cache loading. Maybe it can help, not sure.

When you look at watch for the distance do you point the screen to the sky and wait a few seconds to see if it updates.

• All settings are correct. Yes on red circle. Have had the watch for 3 seasons so have tried all fixes to no avail. I think it's a Garmin issue as I can be with other players with Garmin watches and all have different numbers. Some holes bang on but some consistently off by 10 - 12 yds. Too bad as I like all the other features with the watch. Great battery and stat tracking. But most important function not up too par. 

• You can check it with the distance markers for the hole on the fairway, 100m and 150m e.g. 

• Yes have done that. Actually sent pictures of inaccurate distances to Garmin. Bought my wife a cheap little Bushnell and it has more accuracy. Within 3 yds most holes. Other than standard suggestions no real fix. At this point I am not expecting any but want people to be aware of issues they may encounter with this watch. 

• I have exactly the same issue with my S60. Upgraded from a S20 Approach to gain the extra features, now regretting the decision. Most of my golfing group use Garmin devices (I’m the only one with the S60), theirs are always within a few yards of each other, mine is consistently showing way longer to the green. Yesterday on one hole it was 18 yards longer, on average 12 - 15. It is set to yards and I search for courses before each round, which takes an age by the way!