This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

CT-10 does not register the position of the flag - This is solution (Garmin please review this proposal)

This watch is almost 100% perfect for golfing (and other things). However, it lacks the tracking and positioning of putts and the flag position. This can be solved quite easily.

This is a "simple" software solution which would make Shotscoope and others a less relevant choice.

The CT-10 can still be used for convenience for those who do not want to stick with software Autoshot detection feature. There is no conflict here Garmin!
Even if CT-10 can detect a putt and a chip. It does not register the flag position which why I propose this solution;

Sample PAR 4 hole to explain feature and benfits. How it works now, with current software;

1) You start playing and have scoring as well as shot detection activated
2) First shot. Watch asks what club, you select e.g. i8.
3) Second shot. Watch asks what club, you select e.g. i8
4) You walk onto the green and the watch face automatically changes to putt menu (basically asking how many strokes and putts and finally penalty strokes you've made).
5) Upon looking on the golfapp you can track your iron shots but not your putts, meaning that you have no idea where you landed you GIR, was it a good approach shot, landed close by flag or far away? Nor do you know anything about the following putts and their location as well as finally the flag position.

Please change the interface to this instead
1) Same as above
2) Same as above
3) Same as above
4) When you walk on the green the screen changes to have two big buttons only (call it "putt" & "flag" or similar).
I walk up to my ball and make my putt. Either before or after I do the putt (standing at my ball) I press the "putt" button on the screen. Now the watch records my GPS position for that putt.
Unless it went in the hole I walk up to my ball in its new position on the green and either before or after my second putt I press "putt"-button on screen.
This second putt made it into the hole so I walk towards the hole and standing at the hole I press Flag. This will record the flag position as well.

5) This solution will give me a complete tracking of my shots AND my putts AND the position of the FLAG which will render me much interesting statistics such as how my approaches actually lands on the greens and how long/short my putts are, do I putt too long or too short putts, left or right of the flag etc. etc.

PLEASE incorporate this instead of the fixed menu that currently pops up on the screen once you enter the green area. That menu could pop up after you have pressed FLAG and walk to the next hole!

Garmin is great!

• ah hah the penny just dropped! I see what you mean. once my ball goes in the hole there is no last shot so no position info given to the watch for the hole position, unless once the watch knows I've finished the hole it uses where I positioned the flag to calculate the final putt length but I doubt it hey.

well we will have to wait to see if the penny drops for garmin then!

• We'll take potluck with GARMIN, but I'm afraid the penny won't drop.
    Why spending another penny to drop, after ripping off hundreds of dollars/euros from the customers ;-)
    It is just one more basic feature, which a lot of customers are waiting for since several months, like
    "manual shot recognition" or "counting of shots".

But hope dies last ...

• Wow, this idea is golden! Would be silly not to implement this. This would DESTROY opponent ShotScopeGrimacing (little bump Kissing smiling eyes)

• Yes, I agree. Lets bump my proposal. It will benefit golfers as well as Garmins competitive edge. 

• Please push this suggestion a little extra to the developers, It's an awesome idea and there is no reason to not implement it. You could just make it as an extra option to enable or disable it for people that might not need/want it.

Also this would help to get proper wedge lengths!

• Hey Knubblo didn't garmin state that the GPS is only accurate within a few metres? if thats correct then will that mean that any system using GPS for position of putt or flag on green is most likely going to be inaccurate? At that error level it wouldn't be worth capturing.

what do you reckon?

regards scott

• Hi Scott,

Well, accuracy depends on many things for all typical GPS sports products. The same goes for hear rate / pulse monitors on watches. There is a discrepancy in distance for golf watches. Sometimes just a few inches and sometimes 1-2 meters depending your gear and position on the Globe. So if we consider this error not acceptable all GPS products are useless per se:-)

Personally I like to get distance on my watch, front, middle and back of green as well as distance to hole. Having an opportunity to measure my approaches and putts in the same way with the same accuracy level is something I would consider a great benefit. I suggest you try Garmins Golf-app and view the holes played. The graphical data as well as last rounds overlay gives a lot of extra fun to the game. Missing out on approaches and putts does not make sense.

But again, all players are not the same. Some people go purely puritan to the game, some use laser binoculars, some use watches like Garmin, Shotscope and others may use paper and pen, some even bring their own caddie scoping the course the day before. Pick your preference and have fun:-)

• Any update on this? Not being able to measure the distance of your approach shots really doesn't make sense for such an expensive watch.

• I realize you already know this but to avoid confusion if a new customer finds this thread: the Approach S60 measures your shot distance using the Autoshot feature. Regarding the CT-10 and their functionality and purpose, they automatically assign the club you just used to that Autoshot and shot measured distance.

This feature change request I submitted for how the CT-10 sensor works with our golf products does not have any new update.

• Agree,  I can not believe there is Not a quick button to record the 'end of previous shot' other than "hit another shot"  and mark the ball location. 

ie if you hit drive in woods or OB, and find it but need to drop, why Not be able to hit/tap the yardage indicator or some other button to record shot, than note "drop" and move ball.

Im really disappointed at this since you still really can't even track your round with the ct10's, since there is so much it still doesn't do.

It makes you wonder if anyone at garmin plays golf.

All you have to do is play a few rounds with some mid cappers and try recording and allowing for OB's, penalties, hazards etc,  Let's see them recording a scorecard with a 96 instead of a  pro hitting all the fairways.