This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

CT-10 does not register the position of the flag - This is solution (Garmin please review this proposal)

This watch is almost 100% perfect for golfing (and other things). However, it lacks the tracking and positioning of putts and the flag position. This can be solved quite easily.

This is a "simple" software solution which would make Shotscoope and others a less relevant choice.

The CT-10 can still be used for convenience for those who do not want to stick with software Autoshot detection feature. There is no conflict here Garmin!
Even if CT-10 can detect a putt and a chip. It does not register the flag position which why I propose this solution;

Sample PAR 4 hole to explain feature and benfits. How it works now, with current software;

1) You start playing and have scoring as well as shot detection activated
2) First shot. Watch asks what club, you select e.g. i8.
3) Second shot. Watch asks what club, you select e.g. i8
4) You walk onto the green and the watch face automatically changes to putt menu (basically asking how many strokes and putts and finally penalty strokes you've made).
5) Upon looking on the golfapp you can track your iron shots but not your putts, meaning that you have no idea where you landed you GIR, was it a good approach shot, landed close by flag or far away? Nor do you know anything about the following putts and their location as well as finally the flag position.

Please change the interface to this instead
1) Same as above
2) Same as above
3) Same as above
4) When you walk on the green the screen changes to have two big buttons only (call it "putt" & "flag" or similar).
I walk up to my ball and make my putt. Either before or after I do the putt (standing at my ball) I press the "putt" button on the screen. Now the watch records my GPS position for that putt.
Unless it went in the hole I walk up to my ball in its new position on the green and either before or after my second putt I press "putt"-button on screen.
This second putt made it into the hole so I walk towards the hole and standing at the hole I press Flag. This will record the flag position as well.

5) This solution will give me a complete tracking of my shots AND my putts AND the position of the FLAG which will render me much interesting statistics such as how my approaches actually lands on the greens and how long/short my putts are, do I putt too long or too short putts, left or right of the flag etc. etc.

PLEASE incorporate this instead of the fixed menu that currently pops up on the screen once you enter the green area. That menu could pop up after you have pressed FLAG and walk to the next hole!

Garmin is great!

• Thank you for your feedback. I will gladly pass your suggestion along.

• Thank you very much  

If this makes the next update this season is going to be the most fun. 

• That's a great idea! +1 from me (I use a Fenix 6 Pro)

If not using CT10 though, the shot tracking feature is hit and miss. Please incorporate manual shot tracking as other have said in other threads. 

• Great idea! Let's implement it only on the S62!

• but dont you change the pin location by tapping on teh green image and moving the pin to its position? then I thought it will use that position when calculating your putting distances Am I wrong?

• Moving the pinpointer on the watch only affects the distance for where you are standing. No flag position is stored or saved.

• Oh man if thats the case all putting statistics gathered by the CT10 are rubbish because it does not know where the pin is. Mr/s Knubblo how do we know moving flag position on the green map is not stored for that round?

• Hi, 

No, I believe you got it wrong. The CT-10 have two main functions, automatically identify which club you are using and detect your shot. 
    When it comes to distance mapping all watches detect the distance in three ways

1) From tee and onwards. Distance left to green (F-M-B). Based on mapping the golf course and compare your current position with the fixed positions of F-M-B of the green. There is simply no way at this stage to know where the flag is. 

2) Distance of your last shot is measured from your (GPS-saved) position to your next shot (GPS-saved). These shots can all be tracked on Garmin Golf.

3) When approaching the green you get three measures, F-M-B of green. But you can also move the flag-position on the watch to override these three. Instead you now get a distance from your current position to position where you put the flag.

This is all good and with CT-10 you also get the putt-strokes recorded. Without CT-10 you can only add the number of putt strokes, not track them.

What both solutions are missing is the actual placement of the flag. Even if you are satisfied with manually moving the pinpointer (accuracy not very good) it may be ok with you. However after your last shot the actual position of the flag is not recorded since the Garmin solution only measures the distance between two shots. And after you put the ball in the hole there is no more shot, hence no way to now where the flag was.

By adding (as with shotscoope) a manual possibility to stand and the flag and push a button to record the actual GPS-position of the flag, users with CT-10 will be very happy, as will users without CT-10.

• Oh dear. Means my 1 putt % from long distance isn’t awesome anymore!!!

can someone from Garmin tell me when repositioning flag on watch it’s not used to calc dist?

• Have you tried the watch playing a game? As I mentioned above, moving the flag will give you a distance from your position to where ever you put the flag but that is just the distance to the flag from where you are currently standing. When your approach shot lands on the green and you sink the put there is no position saved of the flag/hole position since the watch only measures the distance between two shots. There is no "between" shot when the ball enters the hole, it is one shot.

I am not from Garmin but I love their stuff and the S60 is an awesome watch.