R10 distances seem off.

I have been using the R10 for a couple days now and my distances seems way off. Seems very club is approx 20yards short from the range? Is there anything that needs to be done with calibration?

• Agree the R10 has always had a problem low launch angle and side spin issues. But it is much better now and hopefully they will address it.

• my unit will give accurate distances about 75% of the time. some days I will turn it on and my distances are short by 15% across everything higher than a 9i. I'm a decent golfer hitting fairly consistent shots. I really think this unit should be $250 and marketed as more of a game/toy. after having it for almost a year, it can't consistently give accurate numbers.

• I agree. It's better than nothing for my backyard setup when i don't have time to pack up and drive down to the driving range. I can feel when I make solid contact or not and can get some idea about flight path but can't trust the distances at all. It's a training aid at best, not a replacement for a real simulator. 

It's gotten better with the latest update and using the special Titleist balls with the metal strips, but at this point I really don't know how accurate the numbers are, With a 7i would say i'm about 10yards off. Really hard to tell with driver as I can't really figure out the distance at the range (can't see where the ball actually lands/stops) and on the course it's always up hill / downhill, not sure how far it carried vs. rolled etc. but would say it's about 20 yards short comparing what feels like my best drives on the course vs. my best on the sim. 

• I believe it to be pretty accurate at the driving range considering it tracks the ball much further, assuming there isn't concrete or fan interference. Maybe you could a driving range session to gauge your at-home distances. I've hit maybe five 3 woods at the range. Two of the bananas I hit went over 230 yards, according to Home Tee Hero. Into the net at home I only once got into the 220's with the same club and application. I guess it could be indoor swing syndrome, though it's outside under our screened porch. I have 7 feet behind and 12 feet to the net. This is after tilting the device forward 7 degrees, recalibrating and setting the altitude to 2500 feet. I've covered varying amounts of concrete and have not noticed any improvement with the exception of that first critical section between the device and the ball. Without that covered, I recall the Garmin gave an interference error message--I haven't gone back to verify that. To be fair, with that same setup, I have gotten pretty good agreement between the Garmin and my Ernest Sports unit, which I don't believe significantly interfere with each other because the ES14 sits to the side of the ball.

• Tom,  did you ever get this resolved so you have accurate readings?  I am setting one up right now and no matter what I do, I get results similar to your results

• I think that the only way of finding out individual issues is to do a proper approach to it.

Distance of a golf ball is depending on physical laws, and these don't change..

If You go to a proper driving range, You can map Your clubs. These numbers will be correct down to a yard or two for each club.

Then You can compare with Your shots in Your simulator.

Is the distance different with similar club speed and smash factor, eg ball speed?

If the distance is different with same ball speed, and assuming fairly straight shots, then it comes down to launch angle and back spin.

Something has to be different in order to get different readings. But without comparing to a known correct, You have like 6-7 variables to guess from. To name the most important: club speed (may be slower indoor than normal), smash factor (are You hitting the sweet spot?), side spin (hitting a slice or hook will greatly reduce distance), launch angle (20 deg launch angle will carry a lot further than 10 degree launch angle with same ball speed), back spin (higher back spin will reduce carry), ball type (changing ball type can change carry quite a lot).

So in short, You need to find out which reading is different in Your sim vs real life. Only then is it possible to try to correct the issue.

• I've had the R10 for about 6 months now, set up a Golf Studio in my basement 20 X 16 room 8.5 feet high. We have got to face reality this is a $500.00 peice. Its not a tru Launch monitor, cheap ones cost $5,000 it will never give true numbers indoors. R10 does not have enough flight time indoors to calculate ball flight. Its a training tool. If you want something that will make you feel better buy the Awesome golf app it is much more forgiving on ball flight than Garmin with better graphics.

• Well, I've seen many indoor reviews that gives accurate readings, so I don't agree.

It is possible to use thin indoors, but there are many things that can go wrong.

https://youtu.be/xcZV03h3Tqk

• Maybe if you live in a gymnasium, high ceiling, no walls nearby, no clutter or anything electrical within 50 feet. then yes you can get the same numbers as outside or on a Trackman.