R10 distances seem off.

I have been using the R10 for a couple days now and my distances seems way off. Seems very club is approx 20yards short from the range? Is there anything that needs to be done with calibration?

• Have Garmin even acknowleged there is a problem and why does Awesome Golf provide more accurate data. Surely an issue with the Garmin software.

• I forget frequency from 3.7 until latest. But all within the last year. In terms of the new app/fw, we picked up some new cool features and range/display modes. But as for the 'distance issue' it just gave some users the ability to fudge numbers by increasing elevation...which doesn't solve the root cause of this. 

• None that I have seen. I have requested by name in this forum for some acknowledgment or field impact notice to be released, but no response. I have been in the tech hardware and software manufacturing/developing business for r20 years, and this is not the way you 'get in front of issues'. Users will bail on the product, new customer onboarding will be poor, and market share will be lost. 

• For me I don't really care how they do it as long as I can tweak something that gets me close on distance and direction I'm good. 

• I've tried some more settings today.  I'm at 200ft above sea level, but bumped it to 10k to see if it would make a difference.  Nope!

8 iron, 2 different ones only getting 100-110 yds carry with smash factor 1.2 - 1.4.  Showing swing speeds at around 65 mph on full cuts.  If I go out of my shoes not caring about form, I get up to maybe 70 mph max.  I'm 6'4 225 lbs and athletic, so plenty of speed.

• Well, sort of exactly what I mean.

Having a smast factor of 1,4 with an 8 iron is quite unrealistic..

1,3 average, yep.

Not sure I would complain too much with 1,2 either, but agree that can be better.

So what is the problem?

I have no clue.

• Following up on my theory about the 'net' problem being at least in part down to cheap hitting mats - I ordered a TrueStrike mat, which arrived today.  It has a gel insert to allow you to play down and compress the ball like you would on the fairway.

Anyway, my 7 irons in the Garmin app have instantly gone from an average carry of 110yds on the old cheap mat to 137yds today and the average total distance of 150yds basically matches what I get at the range, so it appears to have more or less solved my issue.  I'll still need to do more testing with lower loft clubs, but I think the R10 is now very much usable.

Unfortunately, the new mat cost 10 times as much as the old one, but given that the gel will also put a lot less strain on my elbow, I think it is money well spent in the long term.

• I saw in a different post that placing the R10 ~5 feet from the ball seems to work.  I tried this today on my outdoor setup and I was getting spot-on numbers.  The numbers matched my range session from 2 days ago for all my irons.  I calibrated the device and then use GSPRO driving range with default settings on the Garmin App.  

• I've been using quite a bit daily since getting a nicer mat, which has helped with shock first off.

But the think I've been finding out, at least for me being tall and only having a 7' ceiling is I'm not really able to make a full cut.

As I've been getting more comfortable, I've been able to get my speed and distances up.

One major factor is getting ball before mat as that really robs distance.  It's not as easy to feel/see on turf as it is in real grass, but the numbers show it.  I've been focused more on the numbers to build into the smash factor to see my distances rise.  Hitting turf first and off-center of face and your numbers will be low.  Not able to take a full cut, even lower.

I'm now within 10 yards of most of my irons.  It still doesn't like anything over a 5 iron though.  It always shows my 5i going futher (much) than my 4i and 2i.  Never tried woods as the swing won't fit in my confines for now.

What I do appreciate the most if the paths and face.  I can try different adjustments to get a more accurate/repeatable swing, which hopefully translates to consistency on the course.  Now if I could just quit over-swinging on the course and let the club do the work.

• I had the exact same issues with my distances using R10 indoors... Tried a lot of tricks to fix it but what finally did it for my setup was covering the floor between R10 and the hitting mat with a carpet. Before it was bare floor tiling which seemingly was messing with the R10 radar.