R10 distances seem off.

I have been using the R10 for a couple days now and my distances seems way off. Seems very club is approx 20yards short from the range? Is there anything that needs to be done with calibration?

1. Mine seems pretty accurate when using irons but drivers seem way off in a net outside.  125 club head speed 220 drive...  Lol
  • I got my R10 a couple of days ago, and found that my club head speed was only 2/3 of my typical range distance, and the distances were equally off, even though I felt that I was swinging with the same power.  I was all ready to return the device, but I've experimented a bit and, although it's still a bit short, I've managed to get back to within a club or two of my real distances.

I figured out that my main issue is actually with my hitting mat.  Unlike real fairway or the good quality mats at the range, my mat was grabbing my club head at the bottom of my stroke and taking a lot of the speed out of it.  A slightly heavy hit in the net ended up being _way_ shorter than a similar hit on grass, but even my normal iron shots ground out a little since I've been taught to hit down on the ball.  When I strike the ball without the club head touching the mat, my distances are much closer to real life.

So, although I think there is still work to do to eliminate that last 5% inaccuracy, I wonder how many of us struggling with distances in nets are actually struggling with cheap domestic hitting mats?

If anyone can recommend a reasonably priced mat with a true grass feel that is giving them accurate numbers with the R10, I'd love to know. Thanks.

• I'm seeing the same poor results with driver off the tee as well, I don't think the mat would effect that. If you are hitting the mat before the ball that is going to be a problem no matter what mat you are on. 

I also have the same problem on the driving range on grass tees. I can laser the flag at 150, hit the ball there, then have it show up 120 on the R10 

• I just got my R10 today.  My indoor range is in my basement into a net.  I have 8 feet to front most part of the net to my hitting spot.  I have 8 feet to the R10 from my hitting spot, so 16 ft total.  I have calibrated and have tried both Garmin range and Awesome Golf range and both are giving me number quite a bit off my real world numbers (Arccos with 40+ rounds).  My mat is fairly thin and has carpet under.  My 8 iron in Arccos and on course is usually around 145-150 yds.   The R10 is giving me between 95 and 105 yds.  So it's about 40 yards off.   I have a new better, thicker mat coming tomorrow, so I'll see if that makes a difference.

Does anything else mess with the radar?  I do hit it near my work desk (off to the side and in front, but outside my nets).  Do any kind of lights or objects behind the net interfere?

• I have a real feel $500 mat and a few cheap ones. Doesn’t seem to make a difference. Still short on all irons. As I’ve stated before, have a look at ball and smash data. It’s way low. Club speed seems accurate enough. There are issues. Hoping Garmin figures it out. 

As for interference, any fans or moving metal objects can throw off radar. Just keep area as clear as possible. I don’t see that lights interfere at all. Thought maybe led bulbs were interfering but changed to incandescent and no difference. Even with no lights it made no difference. I have a mini split in my garage and on, off, blocked makes no diff. 

Bottom line, earlier builds for indoor peeps worked well. I had very little issues with distance on 3.7 and earlier. These last two have made it unusable in I judge distance, ball speed, and smash. 

• If what You say is correct, it kind of confirms my suspicions.

R10 is reading ball speed, it is not calculated. So if this is too low I believe it to be not enough measuring range.

I have never seen this issue on driving range.

Also it appears to be way better on shorter clubs with steeper ball path.

I would try to move the net further away from tee if possible, and also less distance between tee and R10 seems to help for some.

Also nice to finally see someone investigating WHY the distance seems off, and not just complaining about it.

There are not that many parameters resulting in short distance.

Ball speed and spin/shot angle and to some extent path. Club speed means zero as long as the ball speed is measured correctly.

• I will try all of these suggestions today.

Another odd thing I noticed is that with something like a 2 iron, no matter how well I hit it, it only shows going 100yds and super low.   I only took about 10 swings so I'll see if that changes or I can figure that one out.  Still haven't tried any woods as I really don't have the room in the basement.  And it could be I'm not taking a full cut because of the low ceiling (afraid I'll hit).  So I will try to get it outside also.   If this is the case, it would be a nice feature to be able to have a "speed multiplier" feature for playing some of the games when you can't take a full cut like on the course or outside range due to whatever indoor or space constraints.  At this point you are just working on tempo/path/club face, but would be nice to get shots more than 100 - 130 yards with higher irons for the fun factor.

• I have found this to be true in my setup as well where I have a low launch angle.  My 4-iron & 3-wood specifically have low launch in the real world but end result is 200-210 (4i) or 230-250 (3w).  I would say that 80% of the time the R10 cannot read the shot correctly and it is displayed as 100-130 yd shot.  I have tried to address with various setup adjustments but nothing thus far has seemed to address the issue with any consistency.  I am setup outside into a net with a full swing so I wonder if there is something to the low launch shots that the R10 is calculating incorrectly.

• Totally agree the R10 doesn't do well with low launching clubs. Normally my 7 wood is low but goes 170-180 on the R10 maybe 125 max. This is a problem they need to address.

• How often do they do releases/updates?  I picked one up b/c I read that the newest update really helped with getting better numbers.  But what I'm reading here is that it didn't, or even regressed.