Complete

The Store is being decimated by a handful of developers spamming low-effort apps

IoFace, Islandic, SunEast, Echelon, Wonderful, Saraswatches, Warm, FaceTime, Estefania83, tatu_vic

They just blatantly SPAM the heck out of the store.

This issue is now a weekly subject on /r/Garmin with hundreds of upvotes and people fuming and complaining.

This has gotta stop.

• I'd suggest adding the ability to filter, as in block developers in the list of what's seen. If I simply don't like the type of development someone is doing, should I not be able to remove it from view, thus speeding up my searches?

• "None of the developers listed above have violated any of our terms. They are just prolific"

PROLIFIC. Nice selection of words, Brandon.

Submitting 3000 trash watchfaces with automated system is prolific. Oh, yes.

Working 6 months on a SINGLE WATCHFACE, 5 hours a day to deliver real value to users is just stupidity I presume.

Thank you Brandon.

So looks like I was right. Garmin values spammers more.

And there is no challenge, you just don't want to assign resources for these issues. That is how mediocrity looks like.

• App spammers like those are exactly why I've stopped looking at the app store. Just looking around to see what might be new and useful is drowned out by those low effort apps, etc... Terrible.

• Wow. Just wow.

Have you, yourself, tried using the Store?

Like really use it - just browse available faces by category and actually finding something that is NOT from one of these "prolific developers casting a wide net"?

What people on that sub are suggesting - an option of hiding content from select developers - is a very sensible request. Does Garmin you have any plans to support that?

• Coincidentally, I was just browsing a Reddit thread about this very topic earlier today. Slight smile With respect, this is not a bug report but a discussion topic. I'll respond here to at least provide some defense for Garmin's position.

We treat our store as a hosting solution rather than a curated storefront. YouTube is the best analogy I can think of—there's a whole lot of trash videos out there, but presumably as long as you don't violate YouTube's terms of service, they allow them and rely on their algorithms to serve up content to users. We operate in a similar manner.

None of the developers listed above have violated any of our terms. They are just prolific and use a strategy of creating many, very similar watch faces to cast a wide net. I doubt anyone would want Garmin to start making qualitative determinations of each app's value, so we approve any app that follows the rules (see https://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/terms-of-use/).

Our intent is to allow customer activity to drive content on the store. Apps that have no or few downloads and/or no or low ratings would fade, while more popular and highly-rated apps would remain prominent. I believe the best we can do is make improvements to our store algorithms to make the experience better. Of course, if any of these developers is violating terms of service in some way, anyone can report them and that can be dealt with.

Regarding the topic of moderation, and legal considerations aside (which are many), by what criteria should we determine an app to be spam? Is someone that makes a lot of watch faces a spammer? What about someone that is learning and creates some objectively poor watch faces but offers them earnestly? Are watch faces that are too similar in design spam? Hopefully you can see the challenges we'd face if we engaged in some kind of moderation beyond terms violations.