Complete

The Store is being decimated by a handful of developers spamming low-effort apps

IoFace, Islandic, SunEast, Echelon, Wonderful, Saraswatches, Warm, FaceTime, Estefania83, tatu_vic

They just blatantly SPAM the heck out of the store.

This issue is now a weekly subject on /r/Garmin with hundreds of upvotes and people fuming and complaining.

This has gotta stop.

Parents
  • > Confusing name. Connect, Connect IQ, Garmin Connect... ? Why not Garmin App Store or something that clearly says what it is?

Yeah, basically every day someone posts in one of the Connect IQ forums (including this bug reports subforum) about some issue with the Garmin Connect app or website.

I also think it doesn't help that the forums still use Garmin's old names for these things, like "Garmin Connect Mobile" and "Garmin Connect Web". Most of the other references to "Garmin Connect Mobile" have been scrubbed (e.g. the product page on the Garmin site, the Apple Store page, the app itself), because in 2024 (and even 2016) nobody calls the mobile version of RandomApp "RandomApp Mobile", since most of us live in a mobile-first world. (DCR mentioned he never uses the Connect website.)

Then there's the little "Garmin Connect" vs "Connect" situation. Most users on reddit (and almost anywhere outside of these forums) will just call the app Connect, since that's how it appears on their phone. (I realize this is a tricky problem, since the name "Connect" is a little too generic to be searched reliably.)

I don't think this is the only place where Garmin has confusing naming. On Venu and Vivo watches, Move IQ is a feature that can auto-detect movement and start a timed activity. On other watches, Move IQ is a feature that can auto-detect movement, add an entry to your calendar, but not start a timed activity. So when some user switched from Venu to Fenix, they were like "how come Move IQ doesn't auto start an activity on Fenix" and they were immediately scolded: "MOVE IQ IS NOT AUTO ACTIVITY START!!!" But can you really blame the user for thinking that?

Comment
  • > Confusing name. Connect, Connect IQ, Garmin Connect... ? Why not Garmin App Store or something that clearly says what it is?

Yeah, basically every day someone posts in one of the Connect IQ forums (including this bug reports subforum) about some issue with the Garmin Connect app or website.

I also think it doesn't help that the forums still use Garmin's old names for these things, like "Garmin Connect Mobile" and "Garmin Connect Web". Most of the other references to "Garmin Connect Mobile" have been scrubbed (e.g. the product page on the Garmin site, the Apple Store page, the app itself), because in 2024 (and even 2016) nobody calls the mobile version of RandomApp "RandomApp Mobile", since most of us live in a mobile-first world. (DCR mentioned he never uses the Connect website.)

Then there's the little "Garmin Connect" vs "Connect" situation. Most users on reddit (and almost anywhere outside of these forums) will just call the app Connect, since that's how it appears on their phone. (I realize this is a tricky problem, since the name "Connect" is a little too generic to be searched reliably.)

I don't think this is the only place where Garmin has confusing naming. On Venu and Vivo watches, Move IQ is a feature that can auto-detect movement and start a timed activity. On other watches, Move IQ is a feature that can auto-detect movement, add an entry to your calendar, but not start a timed activity. So when some user switched from Venu to Fenix, they were like "how come Move IQ doesn't auto start an activity on Fenix" and they were immediately scolded: "MOVE IQ IS NOT AUTO ACTIVITY START!!!" But can you really blame the user for thinking that?

Children
No Data