Under Review
over 1 year ago

Get location from phone to show the right weather forecast

This is rather a feature request than a bug. Not sure where I should report it though, as it influences how the weather forecast feature is being used. 

I experience this almost every other week: I return from a weekend outside 100 kms away and the watch still keeps that distant location as a base for a weather forecast. So the forecast is wrong especially when going back from mountains. 

The phone locates itself pretty accurately with WiFi/GMS signal. Can the phone just pass the location to the watch instead of the watch needing to acquire the GPS signal manually?

Note that user might not even know he's getting a forecast for a different location. 

Parents
  • Hi myneur, a few more questions for you:

• How many forecasts did you see on the weather widget when you noticed they were from the old location? The number of forecasts should tell us approximately how old the weather data was that you were looking at.
    • How long after arriving at your new location did you check the weather widget and see the old location's data?
    • Did the weather widget correct itself after a while? If so, how long did it take?
    • What device is this being seen on?
Comment
  • Hi myneur, a few more questions for you:

• How many forecasts did you see on the weather widget when you noticed they were from the old location? The number of forecasts should tell us approximately how old the weather data was that you were looking at.
    • How long after arriving at your new location did you check the weather widget and see the old location's data?
    • Did the weather widget correct itself after a while? If so, how long did it take?
    • What device is this being seen on?
Children
  • tldr; 

Is there any API that could get me position by using phone (assuming ble connection) not by getting fix from GPS/GLONASS/GALILEO ?

I need to know location to the lets say district level, and for such purpose getting location from the phone would be ideal. Getting fix for from the GPS takes too long or some users are trying to do that indoor - which costs me pretty poor reviews.

I guess if connect app can handle making http calls it should be also able to deliver location on behalf of watch APP - that API would be really helpful

• Hi, it's Fénix 6X Pro. 

There's no way how to find out what location is the forecast for in the widget. So I expect it shares the location with the location of the watch shown in the map and what's returned by API Info as the currentLocation.

I just realized that in the past when I was exploring why the forecast is so wrong. Then I found out that the position of the watch is still 100 kms away and got the new location. 

Speakin on when the watch location, that I can see in the map of an activity, it never corrects itself. The only way for it to change is to start an activity and wait to acquire the GPS signal. 

Or is there any other way? 

Thanks for your reply.