Under Review
over 1 year ago

Feature-request: split the strings.xml for in-device and settings related strings

In most of the apps I've seen most of the strings are used for settings, still those strings are included in the memory footprint of the app. It would be very useful to split strings.xml to device-strings.xml and settings-strings.xml.

Parents
  • I'll throw in one more idea. It's similar to scopes, but with different logic: if we could use annotations and excludeAnnotations then it would be very easy to set the strings up, if it's used in code that uses some annotations we could annotate the string with the same annotations, and only the relevant strings would be included in the prg, depending on the monkey.jungle. This would also enable us decrease the memory footprint, and also to keep all the strings in 1 file (resources and resources-<lang>) as opposed to split them with some complicated monkey.jungle juggling. And it would also make translation easier because all the strings could be kept in 1 file.

Comment
  • I'll throw in one more idea. It's similar to scopes, but with different logic: if we could use annotations and excludeAnnotations then it would be very easy to set the strings up, if it's used in code that uses some annotations we could annotate the string with the same annotations, and only the relevant strings would be included in the prg, depending on the monkey.jungle. This would also enable us decrease the memory footprint, and also to keep all the strings in 1 file (resources and resources-<lang>) as opposed to split them with some complicated monkey.jungle juggling. And it would also make translation easier because all the strings could be kept in 1 file.

Children
No Data