App: Yet Another Sailing App

Yet another application for sailing and racing, now supports more devices.

supported devices

Fenix 3
, Quatix 3, Tactix Bravo, D2, D2 Titanum,
Fenix 5 [Plus], Fenix 5X [Plus], Fenix 5S Plus, Quatix 5, Tactix Charlie,
Forerunner 935

install

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/1...2-474d248469c5

description

There are a few nice sailing apps already, but this is yet another one... =)

This app has
- Race Timer with ISAF starting sequence support
- Cruise view with speed, bearing and other valuable data
- Laps view

In Cruise mode, you may see at one glance, actual speed, bearing, max speed and avg speed for last 10 seconds. Also, there are a set of helpful indicators, like GPS status, recording status and actual speed vs avg speed, which is very useful for sail trimming.
Moving average of bearing for last 10 sec. could be helpful in long-distance cruise.

In Race Timer mode you may see remaining seconds till start, actual time and speed. You can also adjust countdown timer by one sec up and down, and down to next minute.

In Laps view laps data available - max speed, average speed, distance and time for last 20 laps

Waypoint mode is under development.

usage

- In any view press and hold UP (over 2 sec.) to get access to the main menu.
In main menu you may choose
-- switch to *Race Timer* mode
-- switch to *Cruise* mode
-- switch to *Laps view*
-- change settings: initialize countdown value for Race Timer, change Background Color and enable/disable Auto recording

In Cruise mode
- press start/stop button to start/stop recording. This option available only if GPS signal strong enough (GPS indicator yellow or green)
- press back button to add a new lap. Laps statistic available in *Laps View*.

In Race Timer mode
- UP add one second to a countdown timer
- DOWN subtract one second from the countdown timer
- BACK round timer to nearest minute down
- START start/stop countdown
After countdown ends, the app will automatically add one lap (if an activity is recording) and switch to *Cruise* mode.

In Laps View you can see data from last 20 laps. This data stores permanently, even if you close the app and start it again, laps data will be on place
- UP shows the previous lap
- DOWN scroll to next lap
- BACK offer you to clear all laps from permanent storage and drop lap counter to zero. community.garmin.com/.../1383631.png community.garmin.com/.../1383632.png community.garmin.com/.../1383633.png
  • Is Anchor Alarm function planned? It would prevent me from installing different apps for sailing… :)
  • Is Anchor Alarm function planned? It would prevent me from installing different apps for sailing… :)

this feature is not on my top priority list ) Besides, I faced with memory limits on some early devices, like fenix3, so probably different app is better choice.
  • Route (Waypoint) mode has been implemented!
    Note: This mode is not available on D2/Bravo/Titanium and Fx3/HR watches due to low available memory on these devices.

It is a bit tricky to use and here is a short description why is that.
    Watches has a limited UX ability and setting a waypoint[s] is not a very convenient. A little more handy using phone for this, but still typing a GPS coordinates is not how you'd like to spend your time... On the other hands, there is a lot of nice services and applications, which allows you to plan a route, so why is not use one of them?
    After some considerations I chose the "Navionics" (navionics.com) for that purpose. So, the basic idea is to plan your route in Navionics and export it to theYet-Another-Sailing-App, to track this Route during the cruise, on a watch, leaving the phone on the pocket.
    Sounds good, but unfortunatelyNavionics does not have an API to import routes... Fortunately, Navionics mobile app has an option to export saved Route in a well known format. Unfortunately, there is no option to export it directly to the Watch Application, so we need some intermediate service which should be able to accept Routes fromNavionics mobile App and has an API for import Routes to the watch application. It turns out that for such kind of scenarios chat bots, like Telegram bots, work surprisingly good.
    So, in general it works like this:
    - plan your route in Navionics mobile app or web-site.
    - open Navionics mobile app and export your route to Telegram bot, named "YA-SailingBot" (you have to install telegram messenger on your iPhone or Android and type @YA-SailngBot in search to enable the bot)
    - in response YA-SailingBot will send back your user id
    - you have to put this ID in settings of Yet-Another-Sailing App, using Garmin Connect mobile application. (open Garmin Connect mobile app, then tap device icon on the top row - Activities, Apps & More - Activities & Applications, choose Yet Another Sailing App and tap Settings). You need to do this just once, any uploaded route will have the same user id, unless you change your Telegram account.
    - now open YAS app on your watch and choose Route - Load Routes.
    - choose route and you ready to go!
    UP and DOWN buttons on your watch will change current waypoint.
    START/STOP button will start/stop track recording, just like in *Cruise* mode

Couple notes about YA-SailingBot telegram bot:
    - Navionics allow to change route name but for some reason does not export it. But you can change Route name using /rename command
    - Use /list command to get list of available routes and /delete:<id>command to delete route by id
    - /myid command will send you string with your id
  • Is COG magnetic or true? Our variation is 11 degrees so it makes a difference in figuring out the favored tack.

• Hey there. Just upgraded to a fenix 6 and changed over to your app for cruising and racing. a couple of questions and feature thoughts:

• Is COG magnetic or true? 11* variation makes a difference in finding favored tack.
    • any thoughts on making the average COG configurable to average over a minute or more? I'm trying to find a useful way to check for lifts or headers, and a 10 second average is not long enough: by the time I get boat trimmed for the puff and look down, it's already been 10 seconds. Another option would be to look at the average for the leg.
    • It would also be useful to be able to see the average COG on the previous leg: what course was I sailing on the previous tack? I should be able to remember that but…

Thanks,

m

• Hi,

For some reason I did not get my id when opened a chat with YA-sailingbot. I have clicked on start and then exported the route. No answer. Then I erased the conversation and added the bot again. This time I exported the route without pressing start on the conversation. No answer again. I wonder if something is wrong, or if it takes some time to receive the id. Can you give me some tips?

Thanks!

• Sorry for the loooong delay with the reply.
    If it is still actual - the course should be "True" as the watch is using GPS.
    As to the rest - good ideas to improve, thank you! I'll think about this.

• i have  FEW GPX FILES I USE FOR RACING LOCAL HOW CAN I DOWN LOAD THESE WITHOUT PAYING FOR MAPS I DONT USE

• Awesome!!!! thanks so much - it's working great

• This is a great app for racing. Just wondering if it was possible to have the one second beeps in the timer start when there is one minute to go? ie. 60 beeps in last minute.