Watch App: TruFlite Ballistics

This will be the support thread for my watch application: TruFlite Ballistics

TruFlite is an exterior ballistics program for long range shooting. It contains a highly accurate, yet stand alone ballistics engine that is extremely fast. Designed to not rely on connecting with a phone for data input or for calculations.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/c8a08648-1344-4dd5-ac3d-6a54b165db5c

I will post release notes here as new versions are released as well as the main application page.

Feel free to post questions, comments, feature requests, or bug reports here or send me an email directly using Contact Developer

Operation:

OK/Select - Calculates a firing solution

UP/Previous - increase range by current range interval setting, default: 25 yards/meters

DOWN/Next - decrease range by current range interval setting

Menu -

Cross Wind - wind speed in mph/kph/mps. To keep input simpler just cross wind, not wind and direction.

Ambient Temp - Farenheit/Celcius, device temperature can be affected by body temperature so it is more accurate to provide one

Muzzle Velocity - launch velocity in fps/mps

BC - change the Ballistic Coefficient and select Drag Curve (G1 or G7). Assumed that BC is ICAO relative.

Sight Height - height of sights in inches/cm

Zero - range (yds/m) at which weapon was zero'd

Units - Allows changing units of any variable between metric or imperial individually.

Options - Change Range Interval and Turn on/off use of external Tempe temperature sensor

About - Get to current version number

Units / Elevation Units - units for Elevation correction to be displayed in: inches, cm, moa, mils

Units / Windage Units - units for Windage correction to be displayed in: inches, cm, moa, mils

When calculating a firing solution, TruFlite uses the current Ambient Barometric Pressure from the device's raw sensor in order to provide the most accurate solution for your current environment. This value is displayed just above the firing solution and will be displayed in green, indicated the value came from a sensor. For slightly older devices that do not allow applications direct access to the raw pressure sensor, the device altitude is used to calculate current pressure. Temperature is manually inputted or retrieved from an external sensor, since the internal temperature sensor of the watch is affected by body temperature and therefore provides an inaccurate ambient temperature.

If you have a Garmin Tempe Temperature sensor and wish to use it with TruFlite, simply follow the standard instructions for pairing the sensor with your garmin device. Once your garmin device has successfully found your Tempe sensor you can go to the TruFlite Option menu and turn the "Tempe Sensor" option "on". In order to conserve battery, the Tempe sensor only transmits temperature readings approximately once per minute. Therefore, when you first turn it on, it could take up to a minute before TruFlite will see a new value from the sensor. If TruFlite sucessfully gets an external temperature value it will be displayed in green, otherwise TruFlite will continue to use the manually provided temperature value, which will be displayed in white. Hitting/tapping OK/Select will cause TruFlite to update all sensor values and the firing solution.

The TruFlite ballistic engine is very fast. No need to pre-calculate any values and should return a firing solution immediately. If you wish to discuss ballistic engine internals feel free to contact me.

Accuracy: TruFlite results have been compared to several defacto standard ballistic engines; such as Applied Ballistics and JBM and is within inches or 0.25moa out beyond 1500 yards for long range cartridges and under various environmental conditions.

• Release Notes:

v1.0.2
    Additional Device Support: Fenix 3/tactix Bravo/quatix 3, Fenix 3 HR, D2 Bravo, D2 Bravo Ti, Descent MK1
    Menu items now have units listed when changing (mph, fps, ...)
    Display current Baro Pressure when app is first started, instead of default 29.92
    Elevation and Windage was being rounded to nearest 0.25 instead of 0.1 when set to mils

v1.0.1 - Bug Fixes
    Problem with initial zero range on new devices
    Re-ordered menu, so that wind and temp are at the top - since those are environmentals people may want to change more often
    Range cannot be set below 25 yards
    Temp first digit limited to 0 or 1
    Muzzle Velocity first digit limited to 0 thru 4
  • Release Notes:

Bug Fixes / Changes
    Metric: Error in Elevation Adjustments when distance/range was set to metric. Considerable error at longer ranges. Fixed. Imperial/Engish units not affected.
    Temperature Input: Changed to +/- 1 degree changes. Continue holding button should continue to increment/decrement value without constant button pushing.

Bug/Minor Fixes:
    When using G1 BC, would revert back to G7 if the app was exited and restarted
    Changing a value in the menu would not clear old solution (Elevation/Windage) from the main UI until OK/Select was used to calculate a new one
    Metric: Altitude and BaroPressure on main UI, metric or imperial based off of global device Elevation setting now instead of global Height setting
    Metric: BaroPressure now shown in millibars instead of mmHg
    Metric: Wind speed now shown in kph instead of meters/s
    Temperature Input:
    Instead of separate hundreds, tens, ones digit input, now single input
    Now allows negative values
    Increment/Decrement by 5 units now,

v1.1.0
    Features:
    Metric support - both on main UI and in Options Menu data input
    Range - honors the device's global Distance preference (yards or meters)
    Temperature - honors the device's global Temperature preference (F or C)
    Altitude - honors the device's global Height preference (ft or meters)
    Wind - honors the device's global Pace/Speed preference (ft per second or meters per second)
    Muzzle Velocity - honors the device's global Pace/Speed preference (ft per second or meters per second)
    Sight Height - honors the device's global Distance preference (inches or cm)
    BP - honors the device's global Height preference (in Hg or mm Hg)
    Bugs:
    Fixed problem with calculating Pressure from altitude, was always rounding to next lower 1000ft altitude for calculation
    Devices affected: Fenix 3/HR, D2 Bravo/Ti, Descent MK1
    Touch Screen - side swipe up/down and screen swipe up/down should increment/decrement range - opposite was happening
    Devices affected: VivoActive 3
    Screen Layout issues - Mostly on VivoActive 3, which doesn't have smaller font.
    Shortened some Titles, mostly on Menu Titles

• Version 1.1.3 Release Notes:

Bug Fixes
    Crash when really long trajectories would fall below ~600fps. Fixed. Devices affected: Fenix 3/HR, D2 Bravo/Ti, Descent MK1

Features/Changes:
    New menu "Units", allows user to change units for each individual value. Allows mixing of imperial/metric units and be different from global device settings.
    User Request to allow metric/imperial, application specific, settings for each individual variables.
  • Hey, saw your app as I have a fenix 5 plus on the way and am very intrigued. Do you plan to eventually use the Tempe temperature sensor? I could just use the Tempe with the watch and enter the temp in the app as mentioned above, but having that input automatically would be one less thing to worry about for those that already own the sensor...
    Thanks,
    b
  • Version 1.1.4 Release Notes:

Bug Fixes
    If device reports wildly erroneous altitude could lead to app crash. Devices affected: Fenix 3/HR, D2 Bravo/Ti, Descent MK1

Features/Changes:
    Added support for VivoActive HR (Rectangular Display) Device.
    About added to Menu so user can get to version info, etc.
  • Hey, saw your app as I have a fenix 5 plus on the way and am very intrigued. Do you plan to eventually use the Tempe temperature sensor? I could just use the Tempe with the watch and enter the temp in the app as mentioned above, but having that input automatically would be one less thing to worry about for those that already own the sensor...
    Thanks,
    b

As of version 1.2.1, use of an external Tempe temperature sensor is supported.
  • Excellent app
    Looking forward trying it at the shooting range
  • Version 1.1.5 Release Notes:

Features/Changes:
    New Fenix Plus devices are now listed as supported. Fenix 5 Plus, Fenix 5S Plus, and Fenix 5X Plus.
  • I have had some cases where people's posts or "contact developer" is not resulting in a notice to me. Just a few cases i've become aware of. If you attempted to contact me and I did not respond, it could be due to it not making it all the way to me. If "Contact Developer" does not result in a response in a reasonable amount of time just drop me an email at [email][email protected][/email] with TruFlite in the title.
    thanks
    jeff
  • Version 1.1.6 Release Notes:

Features/Changes:

Support for new Garmin VivoActive 3 Music.

Touchscreen devices, VivoActive 3, VivoActive HR, and VivoActive 3 Music: Button (Lap button) now will also cause a trajectory to be calculated.