Watch App: TruFlite Ballistics

This will be the support thread for my watch application: TruFlite Ballistics

TruFlite is an exterior ballistics program for long range shooting. It contains a highly accurate, yet stand alone ballistics engine that is extremely fast. Designed to not rely on connecting with a phone for data input or for calculations.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/c8a08648-1344-4dd5-ac3d-6a54b165db5c

I will post release notes here as new versions are released as well as the main application page.

Feel free to post questions, comments, feature requests, or bug reports here or send me an email directly using Contact Developer

Operation:

OK/Select - Calculates a firing solution

UP/Previous - increase range by current range interval setting, default: 25 yards/meters

DOWN/Next - decrease range by current range interval setting

Menu -

Cross Wind - wind speed in mph/kph/mps. To keep input simpler just cross wind, not wind and direction.

Ambient Temp - Farenheit/Celcius, device temperature can be affected by body temperature so it is more accurate to provide one

Muzzle Velocity - launch velocity in fps/mps

BC - change the Ballistic Coefficient and select Drag Curve (G1 or G7). Assumed that BC is ICAO relative.

Sight Height - height of sights in inches/cm

Zero - range (yds/m) at which weapon was zero'd

Units - Allows changing units of any variable between metric or imperial individually.

Options - Change Range Interval and Turn on/off use of external Tempe temperature sensor

About - Get to current version number

Units / Elevation Units - units for Elevation correction to be displayed in: inches, cm, moa, mils

Units / Windage Units - units for Windage correction to be displayed in: inches, cm, moa, mils

When calculating a firing solution, TruFlite uses the current Ambient Barometric Pressure from the device's raw sensor in order to provide the most accurate solution for your current environment. This value is displayed just above the firing solution and will be displayed in green, indicated the value came from a sensor. For slightly older devices that do not allow applications direct access to the raw pressure sensor, the device altitude is used to calculate current pressure. Temperature is manually inputted or retrieved from an external sensor, since the internal temperature sensor of the watch is affected by body temperature and therefore provides an inaccurate ambient temperature.

If you have a Garmin Tempe Temperature sensor and wish to use it with TruFlite, simply follow the standard instructions for pairing the sensor with your garmin device. Once your garmin device has successfully found your Tempe sensor you can go to the TruFlite Option menu and turn the "Tempe Sensor" option "on". In order to conserve battery, the Tempe sensor only transmits temperature readings approximately once per minute. Therefore, when you first turn it on, it could take up to a minute before TruFlite will see a new value from the sensor. If TruFlite sucessfully gets an external temperature value it will be displayed in green, otherwise TruFlite will continue to use the manually provided temperature value, which will be displayed in white. Hitting/tapping OK/Select will cause TruFlite to update all sensor values and the firing solution.

The TruFlite ballistic engine is very fast. No need to pre-calculate any values and should return a firing solution immediately. If you wish to discuss ballistic engine internals feel free to contact me.

Accuracy: TruFlite results have been compared to several defacto standard ballistic engines; such as Applied Ballistics and JBM and is within inches or 0.25moa out beyond 1500 yards for long range cartridges and under various environmental conditions.

• Which device are you using?  Are you attempting to change it on the device/watch or are you using the Connect IQ app on your phone?   I'm able to change elevation to MILS, MOA, etc. on both my watch and thru the Connect IQ app.  You can drop me more information via the "Contact Developer" on the Garmin TruFlite page.

• Fenix 6 Saphire. Tried it on both and neither will populate. Only get back inches. 

• On the device, if you go to the Menu / Ammo/Gun / Elevation can you cycle thru the different options:  MILS, MOA, in, cm ?   Or is it after you select MILS or MOA that it doesn't take effect.   I just tried Fenix 6 in the garmin simulator w/o issues.

• I just noticed something looking at the simulator for the Fenix 6.  It has 4 tic marks at the 2, 4, 8, 10 oclock positions.   One of those tic marks lines up perfectly between the picker OK and the Back button.   So when one is in a picker like [ MOA, MILS, in, cm ] the tic mark kind of makes it look like the Back button is associated with the OK being displayed on the screen.   if this is misleading you, be sure that once you have selected MOA or MILS (or whatever) to use the OK/Select (top/right) button, not the bottom/right button, which will cancel the selection.

• Well I shoot pretty regularly with a long rifle  and DAMN this app is so damn useful love it and the fact it connects to the Tempe as well.... A must have for shooters... Thank you for an excellent must have app.... OUTSTANDING WORK.......

• Version 2  (2.0.6)

A new major version of TruFlite with some highly requested features:

Pro Version

New Navigation

Wind Direction

Multiple Profiles - Pro Version

Spin Drift - Pro Version

Aerodynamic Jump - Pro Version

New Navigation

In order to accommodate new features, it was necessary to change some of the basic navigation.

UP:  cycles thru field variables; Range, Wind Speed, Wind Direction, Temp.

OK/SELECT:  edit current field variable.

Pro Version

For $20 you can upgrade to the Pro version.   Which includes some of the most requested features that people have been saying they are willing to pay for.

To get an upgrade License Key, send me an email at [email protected] or use the "Contact Developer" link.  Include the id code on the TruFlite About screen of your device.  Go to the main menu, select About.  Your device code is the 12 digit code shown there.  I will then email you an invoice link.  Once i have payment and your id code, I will send you a license key.  You can enter the license key via the App Settings on your smart phone or on the device by going to the main menu, select Options, select License Key.  The license key is device specific.

I will prioritize releasing more features for the Pro version as they become available.

Wind Direction

Before, for simplicity, TruFlite only did Cross Wind.

Connect IQ App

Can now enter metric values for profile values such as muzzle velocity, sight height, zero range via Settings in the Connect IQ App on your phone.

There are multiple profiles via Connect IQ App Settings.

Removed field variables from the Connect IQ App Settings these come strictly from the device.

Legacy Devices

I am sorry, but some older devices just do not have enough memory to move to 2.0, I was barely sneaking under the memory limits of these devices in the past and adding any new features causes issues.  Therefore, the follow devices with only 64K memory will be limited to the current 1.x version (v1.6).

Devices:  Fenix 3 series, D2 Bravo/Bravo Ti, ForeRunner 920XT

Display Precision

Slight change to entering display precision and clicks.  Allows specifying precision/rounding for elevation and windage to match your sight adjustments better.

Options On/Off Indicators

On the main UI icons will be displayed when the following features are enabled:   Tempe Temp sensor, Spin Drift, Aero Jump.  For now T, S, A characters (respectively) are displayed if these features are enabled.  Makes it easier to know at a glance if spin drift and aero jump are included in the current elevation and windage solutions.

Naming Profile

You can now change the name of the current profile via the Edit Profile menu and select Name.   This name is now displayed on the main UI, versus the previous method of displaying BC and Muzzle Velocity to describe the current settings.

Multiple Profiles

There are currently 3 profiles.  To select a profile go to the main menu and select Set Profile.   Once a profile has been selected any changes via Edit Profile will change the current profile, including the name.  Those changes persist if you move to another profile.  The 3 default profiles are there just as examples, change them to match your needs.

Editing Field Variables

UP will cycle thru the current field variables.  OK/SELECT will edit the currently displayed field variable.  Previously UP/DOWN changed the range, now range will be changed via a picker.  This has one distinct advantage in that previously one had to button press or swipe for every single increment/decrement.  Now, for example, holding the UP button will cause the value to auto-increment.  This helps make large changes to variables easier. 

If you are using a Tempe Temp sensor and it is currently connected, then Temperature will be removed from the field variable list as it is not necessary to input it.

Trajectory Calculation

If a field variable is changed via the main UI a new trajectory is automatically recalculated upon returning to the main UI.  Previously the OK/SELECT operation would force a recalculation of the current settings, however that operation is now used to select/edit the current field variable.

• Version 2.0.8

Fixed bug when using metric profile values.   When restarting app, user would experience crash or values would not be restored properly.

• I LOVED this app.... And was a must have app on my watch and even many of my colleagues who had similar garmin watches used it(they suggested I give it a try).. And had even been an asset when on operations, but since the introduction of a pro fee we have all dropped the app..... It is not the fact you introduced a fee at all it is the actual cost.... $20!!!   I really do appreciate the amount of work you have put in to this app even though my comments may suggest other wise...  But with ever increasing costs for other things $20 for a watch app is too much... Thank you for the hard work and hope it grows with future updates....   

• rockncrag,

Thanks for the note.   Just to make one point clear, you can still use TruFlite for free.   2.0 has a couple new features that the previous version didn't have even in the free version.  The upgrade just unlocks some additional features that many folks had reached out to me and said they would be more than happy to pay a fee for if i would start developing on it again.  Unfortunately, if you charge for anything Garmin will add the "Payment Required" tag in the Garmin store, which is a little misleading in my opinion.   I would be curious to hear what you think would have been an appropriate fee, please drop me a note at the "Contact Developer"

thanks
    jeff

• Version 2.1

Coriolis (elevation and windage) corrections. Latitude will be retrieved from GPS. Azimuth (direction of fire) can use compass or manually input.

Aerodynamic Jump and Spin Drift - small improvements for non-standard environmental conditions.

Some (not all) profile value checking to make sure values are not out of bounds when using the Connect IQ App.

Splash Screen when app is launched to display version and Pro information.

Some layout improvements on some devices.

How Coriolis Works in TruFlite

The Pro version of TruFlite now includes coriolis calculation, both horizontal and vertical (eotvos).   Coriolis is the observed movement of your impacts due to the rotation of the earth.  In general, depending on your cartridge and bullet, Coriolis is something that is not noticeable unless shooting beyond 1000yd/m. 

You can turn coriolis on and off using the Menu / Options / Coriolis Feature.  If coriolis is on, a "C" will appear on the options line of the main display and you know that elevation and windage now include coriolis calculations.

Two additional things are needed to calculate coriolis, your current latitude on the globe and the direction of fire, azimuth.

I strive to keep TruFlite as simple to use as possible, here is how Coriolis is implemented.

TruFlite will pull Latitude from the device's GPS but it is required for the user to input Azimuth.   If Coriolis is enabled, then Azimuth is added as an additional field variable, along with Range, Wind Speed, Wind Direction and Temperature.  The current latitude will be displayed on the sensor environmentals line, along with Altitude, Barometric Pressure and Temperature.

Latitude:  When started, TruFlite will attempt to get a current Latitude from the GPS in the background.  If it is successful, that latitude value will be shown in green, if after several minutes a current GPS value is not resolved it will continue to display the last known latitude in white.  TruFlite will not continually try to get a current GPS setting in order to preserve battery life.   Exit and restart TruFlite if you wish to force a retry.   Coriolis only affects longer shots and a decent change in latitude is required to noticeably affect coriolis, therefore in most situations the last known Latitude will be sufficient, but if you have recently traveled for a shoot or hunt you may want to verify that TruFlite has a good, current latitude (in green).   Latitude is displayed as positive for the northern hemisphere and negative for southern.

Azimuth:  Selecting Azimuth will give the user the option of inputting the azimuth manually, or you can use the built in compass of the device.   You should make sure you compass is properly calibrated before using this feature.   See your individual device's instructions.  If using the compass:  hold the watch in front of you with the watch-face tilted slightly towards you, align the white line along your line of sight to the target and SELECT/OK/TAP to lock in the current value.