Data Field: AppBuilder

By user request, this app lets you define your own data field, based on a simple math formula like cadence / 2.

If you want to get fancy, there's conditional expressions (like IF in Excel), functions for data analysis (like MIN and AVG), and the data field can also display the text of your choice. The resulting data can be (optionally) written to the activity FIT file.

With AppBuilder, you can implement almost any field that involves math, such as: calculating normalized power and saving the data to the FIT activity file, showing the average pace for even-numbered laps, or recording the amount of time you sprinted.

Full documentation and examples here:
http://ciq-appbuilder.blogspot.com/

AppBuilder 5:
Now with new features! AppBuilder 5 is a completely new app, so please check it out in the store if you are interested in any of the new features.
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/fd690281-9c22-4fee-a81e-3b7f39aa67c5

- Store up to four formulas per app. Switch between formulas directly on the watch, without using a phone or PC. With four clone apps, you can store up to 16 formulas total
- User variables. Allows for powerful formulas where information can be stored at one point, like the start of a lap, and used later. e.g. Lap elevation change
- Improved timeavg() options. Allows for simpler, more flexible normalized power function
- More functions and variables

4 clones of AppBuilder are available in the store, so you can have 2 formulas in the same activity
  • Sorry, but the link is to 5, not to 5+.

I can't see that 5+ is compatible with my 6x. I really should be grateful if it could be.

• Sorry - missed that.  Have you tried to install it?

• It's not available to install for 6x.

• Correct, AppBuilder 5+ is currently not available for Fenix 6X. The reason is that its resolution is different from currently supported watches, so I would need to create and test a new static layout for that resolution.

EDIT: I do layouts for Appbuilder 5+ and similar apps by hand, in order to have complete per-pixel control and to save memory. I guess I've done it so many times by now that I should at least have code that generates the layout data for me :/ but I haven't gotten around to writing it. (And the layouts aren't done using the Garmin CIQ layout system, also to save memory).

So unfortunately, the cost of saving that RAM means that there's a bit of dev overhead to add new layouts (especially for new resolutions).

• To further elaborate on the previous post, the Fenix 6 (Pro) is 260x260, and the Fenix 6X Pro is 280x280. AppBuilder 5+ has 4 layouts for round watches, so that's 8 layouts in all which have to be created.

To be fair, I could support the 6S Pro immediately, since it's 240x240, which is already supported. But I didn't want to do that without supporting the other Fenix 6 Pro models.

• To put this in perspective, AppBuilder 5+ has 960 unique downloads in 2 years. AppBuilder 5 has 5000 downloads in nearly the same time period. Meanwhile an app I wrote which is basically one line of code (Elevation Change) has 23000 downloads in 2 1/2 years. So I can conclude that not too many people find AppBuilder 5+ useful.

Updating it for Fenix 6 Pro is on my wishlist but I can't really say when I'll have a chance to get to it.

• Hi flowstate, thank you very much for your time and consideration. For me appbuilder5+ is irrinunciabile during my run e bike workouts  I would advise you to put this datafield for a fee, some euros is correct , because it has a very high value and I would gladly contribute to its development. I am considering whether to buy the garmin 6x or the 745 but first I await the compatibility of appbuilder 5+ because for me it is essential. thank you so much
  • Latest update (5.26)

AppBuilder 5:

• Support new devices, including 745. Pretty much every watch should be supported by AppBuilder 5 now.

AppBuilder 5+:

• Support new devices, including 745, Fenix 6 Pro, Fenix 6S Pro, and Fenix 6X Pro. Every high-memory watch should be supported by AppBuilder 5+ now.
    • Fix layout cosmetics for devices such as 245M, 645M, 945 and MARQ
  • Great, thanks, much appreciated.

I'll do intervals today and will test it with my UI challenging fields.

• Dear FlowState,

great job!

AppBuilder 5+ is not available for my fenix 6 sapphire in the Garmin IQ Shop.

The watch should be a "pro".

Is it possible to make it available?

Regards