Data Field: vPower - Bike Virtual Power

Welcome to
vPower
Version 1.9.3

The vPower data field app has been developed for those who are not fortunate enough to own an expensive power meter. Firstly, this is not 100% accurate. As you can imagine, there is a lot of variables at play to calculate power on the pedals accurately. This is my best attempt to take all these variables into consideration and developed the app with the following key features:

Configurable
- Now supports the following options to be set to improve calculation accuracy:
o Bike weight
o Tyre rolling resistance coefficient (default set for Michelin ProRace 3)
o Default ride position (Tops, Hoods, Drops or Triathlon)
o Trainer mode (default is off). Set this mode if you want to get training power for the supported trainer.
o Trainer - I only have a few at the moment, but will add as I get my hands on other trainer power curve formulas. If you have this, please send to me and I can add for you.
o Calculation - Display calculation as watt, or w/kg.

General
- Data is saved to FIT file and can be viewed in GC.
- Power is calculated if you are moving (cadence must also be over 40).
- Power consists of adding Vertical Power, Rolling Resistance, Drag & Air Resistance together to give total watts at a specific point in time (all explained below).

User Profile
- The rider weight is used from the User Profile.

Vertical Power
- The effort to elevate total mass (bike + body) up an incline.
- Incline is calculated based on the difference in altitude over a set period (based on the logging intervals).
- Gravity has been factored in at 9.81 kg m/s.

Rolling Resistance
- The force needed to counter rolling drag.
- Used normal road surface.

Drag
- The force needed to counter drag generated by the bike & wheels at specific speed.
- Used a set of Fulcrum R5 wheels to calculate drag.

Air Resistance
- The power needed to propel through the air at a specific speed.
- Rider calculated to be in the triathlon position (on tri bars).
- Air density calculated for sea level at 20 degrees Celsius.

----------------- Planned Updates------------------
- None at this stage, so please leave feedback.

----------------- Version History ------------------
1.0 - Initial release.

1.1 - Correct cadence value check; introduced value smoothing over last 3 results.

1.2 - Stability updates. Increased smoothing to 5 samples. Auto adjust size for different layouts.

1.2.2 - Stability updates. Crash should now be resolved.

1.3 - Updated for 1.1.3 SDK. Improved vertical power accuracy.

1.4 - Configurable options, Trainer support, Remove need for cadence.

1.5 – Calculation updates for improved accuracy.

1.6 - Option to calculate w/kg, updated firmware for better device support.

1.7 - Cadence over 40 for power to calculate. Save field to FIT file. Power max and avg in summary.

1.7.1 - Minor changes to fix FIT save & Strava upload issue (I hope)!

1.7.2 - Minor updates. Acceleration now part of formula.

1.8.0 - Support more devices. Averaging settings. Decimal fix for w/kg. Added a bunch of additional trainer support.

1.8.1 - Update issue with power spikes, and compiled for 2.4.2.

1.8.2 - Will now record power even when no cadence meter attached.

1.8.3 - Small fix to text for negative reading to avoid spike in FIT file (thanks Jan!).

1.9 - Re-look at all calculation to address power spikes.

1.9.1 - Improve power calculations (trying to base on actual power meter results). Added Feedback Omnium Over-Drive trainer support.

1.9.2 - Update for new Edge 830, 530, Forerunner 945 and MARQ.

Happy training!

• I get nothing but 3 dashes in the data field. No readout, what am I missing?

• So I've known about VPower for some time. I just got an Edge 530 and installed the data field. It is working, as in I can see the values change as I'm cycling, and it's recording those values in the FIT file for my ride. 

I've never used a Power Meter before, so maybe this is normal. But I was surprised at how much the numbers jumped around even when I felt I was moving at a relatively consistent speed and cadence over a flat stretch. Eg over a given stretch of about 2.5kms, where my speed varied between 26 and 31kph, my cadence varied between 76 and 88 (with a brief peak at 93) and HR between 166 and 177, my Vpower readings oscillated wildly between 80 and 260 across that same stretch, with a peak at 320. I was wearing a Garmin chest HR strap and a using a Garmin GC10 combined speed and cadence sensor.

Is it normal for power values to fluctuate that much? Or does it take a bit of time to "settle in" (it was my first ride with this Edge 530)? Or should I increase the Power Averaging setting? It was on 3 seconds for this ride, and my Garmin is set to capture data every second. (eg not in "smart" capture mode)

• Update. I went for another ride this morning, this time with the Power Averaging set to the maximum 10 seconds, and the Power Values throughout the ride increased or decreased in more consistent gradients, also matching my perceived effort more closely, albeit with a slightly longer delay. . 

• Hello, I just discovered your app.  Works nice on my trainer, and I thought I would add the same to my wife's FLYWHEEL commercial spin bike.  I added wahoo sensors and it seems to work great with Wahoo App (excluding power).  vPower works on my 520 but set on Fluid trainer its way off.  Any suggestions on settings that might work on commercial spin bike (resistance, not magnetic).  Doesn't have to be accurate for her. just close.  She does cadence training around 90-110 rpm.  I can calibrate using my axioms pedals, once you tell me the settings that can influence the setup.  Thank you and I'll be sure to support the project!

• Hi all - does anyone have any tip into how to start diagnosing this issue? 

I've been getting very low numbers on my Edge 830 since about 2 weeks back. 

I've compared it to my Fenix 6xpro with the same cadence sensor and same external HR monitor while riding with both in the same ride. Settings are the same (ride settings, bike weight in vPower, etc)

Fenix is getting values closer to my perceived effort and what I am seeing on my trainer with power meter for the same effort, while Edge is getting much much lower values. Tracking is set on both on "every second".

• prova ad alzare da 3" ad almeno 10/15 secondi

• Hi, I have been using your data field for years on my Edge 530 and maybe on my 520 (I can't remember that far back). I really appreciate having this as a field that gives me a good indication of my improvement. It was so cool to finally hit 400 watts at the top of a hard hill that I could only manage 300 when I started.

I am trying to install it on my new 1040 and I'm getting a version error. Have you not had an opportunity to port it to this device?

Thank you for a great app.

Mike

• Sorry, there was a bug in error handling that should be fixed in version 2.1.2.

• Hi!

First of all, thanks for your work! I have never trained with a Power meter but it seems to me that works very good. I have one qiestion, will it work with the New Stamina feature?

Thanks again. 

• Does this app work with the FR965? I've installed the app but the data screen doesn't appear as an option to add in the bike app