Data field: Race screen

[datafield] Race Screen
HIGHLY ADVISED and noticed by many racers.
Discussion in our group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GarminFenix3/permalink/1252730174818866/
Download link:
https://apps.garmin.com/…/6a30651b-ca67-41a5-96dc-60634983f…
Review by DCRainmaker:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/pacing-races-garmin.html
DESCRIPTION:
Race Screen is a data field that displays the most relevant information for running a race or training. It also helps correct the difference between the GPS-measured distance and the actual race course distance: pressing the lap button when passing a course marker rounds the distance it displays and adjusts the average pace accordingly. If you set a race distance, it predicts your finish time.
When a running a race, the distance measured by a GPS device often differs from the official course distance, since it is difficult to always run on the line along which the course is measured and the GPS has an error margin. This can affect your plans since the average pace displayed by your device may be inaccurate. This field can help. Pressing the lap button when passing a course marker rounds the distance to the nearest km or mile (depending on your distance units) and adjusts the average pace accordingly. If Race Screen shows 22.17km and you press the lap button, it assumes you just passed the 22km marker and subtracts 0.17km from the GPS-measured distance; it also adjusts the average pace accordingly. The rounding can be upwards or downwards. You do not need to press the lap button every course marker, any new press rounds the currently displayed (i.e. previously adjusted) distance again. When an adjustment is being applied, grid lines turn red. Pressing the lap button twice within 15 seconds removes all adjustments.
If you set a race distance, Race Screen also predicts your finish time, assuming you maintain your current pace (not your average pace) until the end. If you set a target time, the background changes color when you are behind target.
Race Screen simultaneously displays:
- Recent pace (averaged over a user-defined interval of 1-60 seconds, default 10 seconds).
- Current heart rate
- Current cadence
- Elapsed distance (optionally adjusted)
- Timer
- Average pace (optionally adjusted).
- If the GPS signal is weak, GPS is displayed in red. With GPS signal and before the activity starts, the time of the day is shown.
- If you specify a race distance different from 0, the predicted race time is shown instead of the timer, with the timer moved to the lower-left corner.
There are 6 configurable settings in Race Screen:
- Whether to round the distance and adjust the average pace when pressing the lap button (default true; if you prefer the built-in distance and average pace, disable this).
- The number of seconds used to calculate recent pace (default 10 seconds; can be set to 1-60 seconds).
- Race distance (default 0; set to a distance in meters to get a finish time prediction, e.g. if running a 10km race set the race distance to 10000, if running a 10 mile race set it to 16093; Race Screen will still display the distance in the units set in your device, km or miles).
- Target time (default 0; set to a time in seconds to change background color when running behind target, e.g. if targeting 45 minutes set it to 2700 seconds).
- Whether to display heart rate and cadence in color (default true).
- Whether to use black as default background (default true).
To use Race Screen, configure a data screen in the relevant App on your device (e.g. the built-in Run app) with 1 Field as the layout, then in Field 1 select Connect IQ Fields, and select Race Screen. You should set Auto-Lap to Off for the lap press adjustments to work properly. The field displays distance based on the units (km or miles) set for distance in your device's settings and recent pace and average pace based on the units set for pace in your device's settings. Set distance units to the units used for course markers in your race and pace units to whatever you prefer. When a race time is set, a splash screen shows this and the target time briefly at startup. As a precaution, configure additional screens on your device to display information relevant for your race, and try Race Screen while training before using it during a race.
[FAQs] How to add dafafield to app/screen on Fenix 3?
https://www.facebook.com/GarminFenix3/posts/469813359810241
[FAQ/manual] How to change watchface/datafield/widget settings from Garmin Express app or Garmin Connect app:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GarminFenix3/permalink/1162707790487772/
// 6491-19

I have installed this today and used inside Garmin's Run along with the flexirunner. I must say I like it a lot but the problem mentioned by DCRainmaker should somehow be addressed. Inside Garmin Connect I've created a route which has 6km. I am still using my Iph 6 + Strava, along with my Fenix 3 watch, due to accuracy being better on my Iphone. At the end of my run I get exactly 6km with my Iph6 + Strava and about 5.83-5.87km with my Fenix which also translates into much worse pace. Today, I've used the lap button on the new data screen to correct the inaccuracies in Fenix's gps. Each time I was pressing the lap button at a known km marker, the pace aligned nicely with the one from my Iphone. At the end of my 6km, I pressed lap one more time and then ended the run. The thing is, after saving the run, the data used was the one from Fenix's gps as before (lower reading again) which means the Race Screen is only good to correct the distance/pace during the run for your visualisation but won't save these corrected values which makes no sense to me. If I correct the values during my run, it means they need to be corrected so why not save these at the end instead of the ones from Fenix's own gps ?!?

PS : When back at home, I manually edit and change the distance in Garmin Connect which of course leads to pace recalculation. However, when I sync the watch with my phone (garmin connect), the watch keeps its own data which is not right. Why doesn't it update the data from Connect ? Is there a way to change the data inside my watch ? I suspect it also gives worse race predictions, lactate threshold or vo2max based on that altered pace/distance !