Erg IQ

Installation & Configuration

ErgIQ can be installed from the Connect IQ store using the link below. Once installed, a limited set of application settings are available for the user to adjust. These settings as well as the pairing procedure are outlined in the user manual.

Requirements

ErgIQ will connect to a compatible fitness equipment system, the following is currently supported:

• Concept2 Rower/SkiErg with PM5 (Firmware v22.015/156/722 or greater)

Known Issues

This is a BETA and therefore it has some items being worked through. For issues relating to FIT recording, pairing or Garmin Connect, even if they are listed here please report that you have the issue as well. This will help accurately determine the scale of the problem.

• workout metrics are incorrect: distance, calories, stroke count (upgrade PM5 to BETA v22.014 or greater using C2 Utility if your comfortable doing this, otherwise it will be fixed in the next release)
  • Fenix3, FR920XT, and vivoactive HR have issues pairing (see post #4 for temporary workarounds until resolved)
  • vivoactive doesn't save last lap and session data correctly (issue being investigated)
  • Garmin Connect doesn't integrate developer FIT fields using native number mapping for summary, laps, or record fields

Non-Garmin FIT Analysis Sites

ErgIQ takes advantage of the newer defined developer FIT fields. These fields are a new standard that are not currently recognized at all non-Garmin sites. The following sites are known to work but others may work as well, this is not an exhaustive listing:

ErgIQ Reviews or Other Information

• rowingmusings ErgIQ Review - Review
  • OEAGLEO , just ping their GM and ask if they'd mind either having their staff update them or if you could help do it. FW upgrades on C2s are super easy, and it does make a difference with accuracy in a lot of cases (they have bugs like any other head units)
  • why settings are disappeared from garmin connect?
  • I've analysed the data you get using different apps with a Concept2 rower.

In the table below lists the data and plots you get when using:

- fenix 3 Row Indoor app
    - Concept2 ErgData app with sync to Garmin Connect
    - Both of the above used at the same time
    - ErgIQ app on fenix 3

The main differences are that in combination you get Training Effect and Pace data, whilst with Erg IQ you get Speed, Distance per Stroke, and Drag Factor data.

• PubBike awesome recap! Actually that's why I started this thread over in the Fenix 5+ forum:

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-the-trail/wrist-worn/fenix-5-5s-plus/1433490-what-would-it-take-for-indoor-rowing-to-give-vo2max-concept2-ergiq-firstbeat

We actually got both lcj2 and HermanB to chime in, just need somebody from Garmin to pay attention long enough to scope and prioritize the work! It'd be great to see TE/VO2max/etc. available from an ErgIQ level of detail. Or at least to get Indoor Rowing to support the key metrics the C2 can provide (stroke rate/distance/power), and have ErgIQ overlay the other useful data as well.
  • It is a conundrum. Some of the data such as drag factor could easily be passed over from C2.

A fundamental problem with using ErgData though is that because Garmin's available functionality/data in an activity depends on the originating device (fundamental to Garmin's business model), data that is available in the fit file from C2 isn't displayed. C2 passes the data on every stroke, but because it is just a piece of fitness equipment and not a device that is 'licensed' to show/generate the TE and distance per stroke plot (e.g. fenix 3 or later 935 etc), neither is displayed.

Maybe there is a way to put the fit file from C2 onto the fenix 3 and sync from the watch and the get TE as well? I doubt very much this works but I might give it a try anyway.

Perhaps if Garmin sold a branded version of the PM5 these issues would be addressed because they would have been paid for it.
  • PubBike I have almost the same setup as you do. Concept 2 with PM5, Fenix 5 and a heart chest strap. Only difference i have from what you wrote in the table is that using ErgIQ i get training effect also.
  • Part of the reason there are errors in the stroke rate I mentioned above when in respect of the Fenix 3 are explained here. This problem seems to affect current watches as well.
  • I've been having a strange problem where ErgIQ doesn't have the Settings option in Garmin Connect (Mobile, Android). I have to uninstall and re-download it to show the Settings option again. I know I don't need to change settings everyday, but when I do, I have to re-download. Anyone else see this?
  • I've been having a strange problem where ErgIQ doesn't have the Settings option in Garmin Connect (Mobile, Android). I have to uninstall and re-download it to show the Settings option again. I know I don't need to change settings everyday, but when I do, I have to re-download. Anyone else see this?

This is most likely a Connect issue, I would check that all your software is updated.
  • This is most likely a Connect issue, I would check that all your software is updated.

Thanks, looks like it was fixed in the latest Garmin Connect that was released today.