Watch face: Audi-inspired analog/digital (for epix gen 2)

I've been developing a few watch faces for the last 4 months, and it's exciting to finally share them with you for feedback and ideas. I’m especially fond of making watch faces inspired by real-life things (e.g. automotive gauge clusters, aviation gauges, luxury analog watches).

Today, I'm launching what I call the "Obey Luxury Gauge," which is inspired by the contemporary design of Audi dashboards (especially the A/S/RS7 & A/S/RS6 models). I’m a fanatical Audi owner and wanted a custom watch face to match my car.

The "Obey" term comes from the name used by the Grand Theft Auto game franchise to represent Audi-like vehicles in the game.

Supported watches

• Epix (gen 2)

(For now, I've decided to just support one device - the one I own.  More will follow. If you’d like to see this on your watch, please let me know.)

Overview

This is a two-in-one watch face, with both an analog and a digital display. This can be selected using the on-device settings or the ConnectIQ app.

Analog Style

The analog style has hour- and minute-hands that look like the needles in the real car’s gauges. They feature the brilliant, glowing red coloring and a highly detailed circular anchor (displaying a shiny chrome-like effect)

In addition, the analog display features two inset gauges, which I designed to look just like the gas & temperature gauges on the real vehicles after which this was modeled. The actual car uses a sequence of 8 illuminated LEDs to display these values.

On the watch face, these gauges feature true-to-life “red zone” behavior, where the simulated LED segments turn red. (On the real vehicle, when in a red zone, such as low fuel, the LEDs turn red). I’ve also added a new concept of a “green zone”, to support certain complications that have a “target zone” (full battery) and a “warning zone” (low battery). The ticks around the gauges will also show you where these zones begin and end.

The gauge reading (the text) is positioned according to the percent full.

The seconds are indicated by a small red indicator that moves around the dial. This is based on the true-to-life cruise control indicator on the real vehicle.

Finally, the area inside the dial features a small digital readout to match the actual vehicle’s LCD screen between the dials. This displays the date and time.

Digital Style

The digital style for the watch face takes heavy inspiration from this inset screen.

The digital style includes a linear bar at the top which can display any of the user-customizable complications (e.g. watch battery, heart rate, stress level, etc.).

It will light up green (like the real vehicle) when in a target zone. And it will light up red when in a warning zone. The warning zone could be a low percentage (e.g low watch battery) or high percentage (e.g. high stress level).

The center display also includes a large digital time and date readout using a font similar to that used in the actual vehicle.

This digital style allows between 1 and 4 gauges around the outer dial, each using the same LED-segment style. The image above shows 3 gauges. Each gauge can set by the user to display any of the supported complications.

Burn-in protection

One special feature I debuted on this watch is burn-in protection. When in low-power mode, the watch face will position itself slightly off-center. This should be barely perceptible to you, but it will help extend the life of your watch screen by mixing up which pixels are being used. (This will not completely prevent burn-in, which is an unfortunate natural feature of AMOLED screens, but it may help).

Low-power mode

The low-power mode for this watch face looks almost identical to the high power mode, since it’s already a very power-efficient watch face. The main difference is that the “unlit” LED segments in the gauges will go completely black. When in high power mode, they’re slightly illuminated to give the illusion of a LED display with a “dark” segment.

C

Pricing

This watch face offers an unlimited free trial - you just have to reinstall every 5 days if you want to continue. After that, you can upgrade and get an unlock code.

Since I like to change my watch faces often, I launched a “pay-as-you-go” style subscription for people like me. In this case, if you plan to just use the watch face for a few months, this will be a better deal.

Otherwise, you can also pay once and get the watch face without any subscription or time restraints.

I’m not looking to make a lot of money from this, but I do want to recover some of the costs for running a website, buying some of the tools to make these, and maybe some of my time.

Roadmap

I have a lot more planned in the future for this watch face. If you go to the page on my website for this watch face, you cans see the full list. Some examples include:

• More complications (steps, VO2 Max, moon phases, more weather)
  • Icons for notifications, low-battery, notifications, bluetooth connection

Feedback

I have so much fun building these, and I’m eager to hear your ideas and feedback. I’m excited to continue contributing to the community. Please use the “Contact Developer” link on the watch face to get in touch, and make sure to include your email address so I can reply.

Launch Promo

I’ve set up a coupon to give this watch face away for free for the first 10 people who apply it. Please use the “Single License One-time Fee” purchase option and apply code: FreebieObey