App: Hike2

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/116a5b59-29ae-4397-a70e-907d7e5f8e44

The next generation of the Hike app. With additional memory and sensors on the vivoactive HR, all be looking at adding new stuff. Right now, it makes use of the hardware compass and barometric Altimeter!

Like Hike, it's stats up and once it gets GPS, press start to begin the recording. There are then a number of screens you can swipe through to see data, like time-distance, pace-speed, altitude data, lat/lon data, and a chart that shows your hike so far. Pressing the back button while recording marks a waypoint, and pressing start pauses the recording, and gives you the option to resume, save, or discard the recording.

To learn about some of the basic functionaly here, see the thread for the initial version:

http://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?335082-App-Hiking

Please post questions and problems here.
  • With CIQ apps, you can long press the upper button and get to controls/music, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get to the watch face/widget loop.

• hello, i came across "Waiting for gps" and Startup Option menu. i was not able to find on my forerunner 245.. what is going on?

• The 245 uses Hike and not Hike2.  It's still going to wait for GPS before you can start recording.  Make sure you are outside and in open sky, and it still might take a couple minutes,

• Hi, I am using Hike 2 for several months, unfortunately all of the  altitude is wrong...I have tried it many time in different peaks but all the attitudes which this app shows is in correct for example 21 august I at the peak of Damavand with 5610 meter of altitude but the app just recorded 5492 it means 118 meters deviation or on10 July I was at a peak of mount with 4180 meters but the app just shows 3875 what should I do ? please help me

• Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Fairly sure it doesn’t influence training status, at least with my Forerunner 245 (which has the feature). I run about 4 times a week pretty consistently, but did a couple of 5 hour hikes instead last week. You can see from the attached photo that there was a pretty big dip in my training load.

Maybe something for a future update!

Nonetheless, thanks for the great app and the quick response. 

• Nice App!  Has all the information I need while hiking. I do have a few questions though: Where can I see waypoints after a hike? I saw them indicated on the map on my watch (VA3Music) during the hike, but not in the map in Garmin Connect afterwards. I do see a number of  blue areas where I was going slower, and some of them were likely where I set a waypoint, but I do not see a clear indication of where the 6 waypoints were.

Also, under the settings menu (Settings>Activities & Apps>Hike2>Hike2 Settings I see is a choice to use Push Notification or not. Where can I change/remove/reorder the screen?  If I start the app I see the message: " Waiting for GPS Menu" for start up options. But how do I get to that Menu? Do I first need GPS?

• With Hike2, the waypoints show up in Garmin Connect as laps/splits.

The "push notification" actually has nothing to do with Hike2 - that's a FW setting.

In the app settings on a phone or with Garmin Express, you can turn screens on or off, but there is no reordering.

While waiting for GPS, there's a menu of options for the app itself.  On the va3/va3m, "menu" is a long press of the screen.  You can also use this after you get GPS and start recording, but not all options are available at that time.  You can't change from a walk to a hike while recording, for instance.

• Great, thanks. Now how do I buy you that beer?

• There's a paypal link in the description in the app store..

Beers

• Hello, today my hike did not record any data. This has happened as of the last time I updated. Are there any bugs?