App: Hike2

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/116a5b59-29ae-4397-a70e-907d7e5f8e44

The next generation of the Hike app. With additional memory and sensors on the vivoactive HR, all be looking at adding new stuff. Right now, it makes use of the hardware compass and barometric Altimeter!

Like Hike, it's stats up and once it gets GPS, press start to begin the recording. There are then a number of screens you can swipe through to see data, like time-distance, pace-speed, altitude data, lat/lon data, and a chart that shows your hike so far. Pressing the back button while recording marks a waypoint, and pressing start pauses the recording, and gives you the option to resume, save, or discard the recording.

To learn about some of the basic functionaly here, see the thread for the initial version:

http://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?335082-App-Hiking

Please post questions and problems here.
  • I can't quit the app. It works. But not going back.

• What you can do is just turn off the watch.  This is a problem with early firmware on the venu and va4.  Make sure you update to the latest FW.

• Apologies if this is covered somewhere but I tried the link to the thread and was told that the page is no longer available.

Whats the difference between walk mode and hike mode?

• Really nothing other than how it's seen in Garmin Connect.  

• +1

I'm also wanting to know the difference. I don't own a Garmin watch but I'm considering the FR 245.

• With a 245, it doesn't have a baro altimeter, so some of the data won't be available when using the app. (floors for example)

But as far as walk vs hike as an activity, the main difference is how the activity shows up in garmin connect.

You'll also have access to more info available while using this app than you do with the native walk app on the 245.

• Hi,

I used a couple of times the app for my hikes.

I notice that if I stop in a place for a while (like for lunch) the distance keep going up. Looking at the map, it shows a messy path, like I was moving a lot in a small area (picture attached)

How can I avoid this? If I pause there is a high likelihood of forgetting to unpause ;)

Also, last sunday I made a hike, but Garmin connect doesn't show the map. Maybe I have deactivated something?

thanks!

• When you stop for something like lunch, you need to pause the recording.  Press the same button as you used to start recording, and you'll see a menu with resume being one of the items.  At this point, the recording is paused.

From the GPS track, it looks that you weren't paused.  The squiggly GPS is because of GPS drift, where it may have you moving a few feet every few seconds even if you just stand in the same spot

As far as forgetting to unpause, there is something in hike2 for that.  By default the watch with vibrate/make a sound every 5 minutes while you are paused - that way you look and see it's paused.  The default is every 5 minutes, but with app settings tyou can set it longer or shorter.

Sounds like the missing map in GC is a GC problem, as the recording will have the proper data

• When launching the app it stays on "waiting for GPS. GPS: None" . I let it go for 10 minutes. The default Walk application is able to acquire a signal though. Have you seen this before?

I have a vivoactive4

• Are you outside in clear sky?  With the native app, does GPS go green?