App: Hike2

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/116a5b59-29ae-4397-a70e-907d7e5f8e44

The next generation of the Hike app. With additional memory and sensors on the vivoactive HR, all be looking at adding new stuff. Right now, it makes use of the hardware compass and barometric Altimeter!

Like Hike, it's stats up and once it gets GPS, press start to begin the recording. There are then a number of screens you can swipe through to see data, like time-distance, pace-speed, altitude data, lat/lon data, and a chart that shows your hike so far. Pressing the back button while recording marks a waypoint, and pressing start pauses the recording, and gives you the option to resume, save, or discard the recording.

To learn about some of the basic functionaly here, see the thread for the initial version:

http://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?335082-App-Hiking

Please post questions and problems here.
  • There's a short summary screen after you save, and other than that, just what you see on Garmin Connect after it's synced. You'll see some info in "history" on the watch too
  • The app is good during a hike, but I wish there were instructions somewhere. The link regarding basic functionality is dead. I see no way to look at the data once it is saved. On my last hike, after reaching the summit I paused the recording. Apparently it timed itself out, because I needed to do a separate recording for the descent. Not ideal. Also, I find using this on the trail to be an immense battery hog. Short-ish day hikes only on my Vivoactive 3.

• Please use contact developer if you have any questions.  The link to basic functionality should be this very thread.

As far as saved data, you can see it in "history" on the watch, like with other activities, but for more data, you need to look on Garmin Connect, same with other activities.

When you paused, how long were you paused for?  That must be something specific to the va3.

Are you seeing the same battery drain with a native activity like "walk"?  I see in the va3 forum, others are having some general battery issues.

• I recorded today's hike with Hike2+ on Edge 530, my brother was with me and he used his Forerunner watch. His track was ~16km and mine ~8.8km. 16km was correct distance (+-200m).
    My question is - Edge, being made for cycling, I guess does aggressive "flattening" of the track. Is it possible to turn that off?

• When using an edge with this app, at times I've seen the distance to be off and that can have to do with how you carry the edge. (say in a pocket vs a lanyard).  The distance is measured with GPS (that's really the only way to do it in this case) and there's really nothing I can do in the app itself.

• Love hike2 and have been using it since hike1 days. Thank you for making such an excellent app.

I have one little feature request. Could you add an option to auto start as soon as a GPS lock is obtained. I often forget to press the start button after starting a hike when GPS lock takes a little while.

Thanks again

Neel

• I'll consider it.  One thing is you really shouldn't start moving until you get a GPS lock though, as that can increase the time it takes to get a GPS lock.

• Not 100% sure but i think is a SW thing and not way of carrying. Because at least once, I was  able to get correct distance by exporting track, importing it somewhere (maybe Strava), export again and then it showed right distance. I tried that on hike I mentioned above but with no success. 

For time being I diecided to use my old bike GPS (GS Sports 580p) for hiking and Edge 530 only for biking.

Thanks.

• doesn't work on venu. I used it well in Active3.

• Make sure you are running the lastest firmware.  There were some issues on earlier versions.