App: Hike2

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/116a5b59-29ae-4397-a70e-907d7e5f8e44

The next generation of the Hike app. With additional memory and sensors on the vivoactive HR, all be looking at adding new stuff. Right now, it makes use of the hardware compass and barometric Altimeter!

Like Hike, it's stats up and once it gets GPS, press start to begin the recording. There are then a number of screens you can swipe through to see data, like time-distance, pace-speed, altitude data, lat/lon data, and a chart that shows your hike so far. Pressing the back button while recording marks a waypoint, and pressing start pauses the recording, and gives you the option to resume, save, or discard the recording.

To learn about some of the basic functionaly here, see the thread for the initial version:

http://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?335082-App-Hiking

Please post questions and problems here.
  • Awesome, thanks for making this!

I just got a Vivoactive HR and do a fair amount of hiking and mtn biking... are you looking for more beta testers?
  • deslock-

Thanks for the offer to beta test, but the version in the store is actually my current version. This is my original Hike app, but adjusted for the va-hr display, and the new sensors available on the va-hr (Baro altimeter and HW compass). It will also be easier for me to add features in the future, as the size of the app can be much larger than on the device that have the original Hike (where I pretty much hit the limit on the size of the app!).

You might also be interest in my Chart Data field, which has the "Chart" page from Hike as a data field, so you can use it in something like the native biking app.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/d741d7b4-8b26-401c-a5bd-0ac91891575d
  • Yep, today I used "Hike2" on a walk, and "Chart" on a couple bike rides. Great job with the app and data field... they really improve the functionality of this devise.
  • deslock - can I ask for a favor?

The va-hr is not only new, but seems to have a bunch of folks new to Garmin and the Connect IQ apps...

If you see someone questioning CIQ in the va-hr forum, could you post that what you are using works? Don't mention me or an app , as there a number of CIQ developers I know that have many great things!

And (this is self serving!) a good review of apps in the Garmin App Store, would be appreciated! :)
  • deslock - can I ask for a favor?

The va-hr is not only new, but seems to have a bunch of folks new to Garmin and the Connect IQ apps...

If you see someone questioning CIQ in the va-hr forum, could you post that what you are using works? Don't mention me or an app , as there a number of CIQ developers I know that have many great things!

Will do!

And (this is self serving!) a good review of apps in the Garmin App Store, would be appreciated! :)

I posted (5 star) reviews of both Hike2 and Chart. Keep up the great work!
  • Version 2.00.1 - the only change is the support of the fr735xt.

The amount of memory on the 735 is like the va-hr, and have added it as a device for Hike2!
  • Install issue

I tried downloading this to my VivoActive HR and it tells me I can't with this error:

This app requires an update of your vívoactive HR. Please use Garmin Express to update your vívoactive HR.

I am at the latest firmware version and do not have this issue with any other application.
  • I tried downloading this to my VivoActive HR and it tells me I can't with this error:

This app requires an update of your vívoactive HR. Please use Garmin Express to update your vívoactive HR.

I am at the latest firmware version and do not have this issue with any other application.

That error is being displayed by the Garmin App Store as it decides what works on what FW.. What version of FW is on your watch? (check in settings>System>about on the watch itself - right now some have 2.20 and some 2.30, but Garmin hasn't provided a 2.20->2.30 update.
  • Ok, I passed this on to Garmin and I'll let you know when I hear back.