Smart Bike Lights (Data Field) / Bike Lights Control (Widget)

I've made two open source CIQ applications to control ANT+ lights:

- Smart Bike Lights (data field): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0d9fd828-c932-4470-9c37-fd2828881888 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/SmartBikeLights/ 

- Bike Lights Control (widget): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/fa3c2332-76e3-4ba1-8528-32a0fd617ab1 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/BikeLightsControl/ 

Smart Bike Lights features:
- Automatic light control (Smart mode) based on the configured filters (sunset, sunlight, speed, ...)
- Manual light control (only for Edge devices with a touch screen or devices with CIQ 3.2 and more than 32KB memory)
- Records lights modes that are displayed in Garmin Connect

Bike Lights Control features:
- Manual light control (available to all devices)

Both applications can be installed on the same device, which can be useful for low end devices (e.g. Edge 520) where "Bike Lights Control" can be used to change light modes manually and "Smart Bike Lights" for automatic light control.

Currently registered ANT+ lights:
- Bontrager Ion Pro RT
- Bontrager Ion 200 RT
- Bontrager Flare RT
- Garmin Varia RTL500
- Garmin Varia RTL510
- Garmin Varia RTL515
- Garmin Varia HL500
- Garmin Varia UT800

in case your ANT+ light is not on the list you can help by doing the following:

1. Install Bike Lights Control
2. Pair your bike light with your Garmin device
3. Open the widget:
- Edge with a touch screen: post which numbers are displayed on the buttons and what mode each button represents when pressed
- Other devices: Select the "Light modes" menu and post which numbers are displayed in the menu and what mode each menu item represents when selected

Example for Bontrager Ion Pro RT:

1 -> High steady beam
2 -> Medium steady beam
5 -> Low steady beam
63 -> Day flash
62 -> Night flash

There are some features that could be possible to add in the future, but would require Garmin to add them to the CIQ api. In case you are interested in any of the below features, consider upvoting their feature request thread:

1. Control lights based on the ambient light sensor available on some devices:
https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/i/bug-reports/ambient-light-sensor-api-access 

• Did you start the timer?

The light is disabled until you start the timer, however the radar will still alert as that cannot be disabled

• Add a range component to your radar filter.  Make it "less than" 100 meters for example.  

• Hi,

the configuration that you provided should give you the results that you want. Make sure that the light is in Smart mode (S), you should see "S" character inside the light icon. If you see "M" or "N" then that is the reason why it doesn't work. To change the control mode to "S", you need to:

1. Press the Menu button on the data screen where you placed the data field to open the menu

2. Navigate to Data Fields -> Connect IQ data fields -> Smart Bike Lights -> Control mode and change to Smart

• Ah, success finally! So happy!

Indeed, I had to turn smart control mode on!

Noted that Edge 530 started up in manual control mode, so tried a config wit "force smart control".

That did not work, radar detected no threats anymore. Deleted "force smart control" and it was working again.

Also, smart control mode appears to be persistent on the Edge, so once configured it stays in smart mode after reboot.

Now understand that force smart control does something else.

Maca88, big hurray to you for making Varia into a tool usable for long rides as well (HURRAY!) as I thought it would ootb.

Now I'll finetune the config: during the day, lights off but flash if threatened, and just before dusk switch to lights on (and still flash under threat).

Also thanks HotdogPS & EWUSA for your input. Appreciated!!!

• Ah, success finally! So happy!

Indeed, I had to turn smart control mode on! (It was always there in the documentation, of course).

Noted that Edge 530 started up in manual control mode, so tried a config with "force smart control".

That did not work, radar detected no threats anymore. Deleted "force smart control" and it was working again.

Also, smart control mode appears to be persistent on the Edge, so once configured it stays in smart mode after reboot.

Now understand that force smart control does something else.

Maca88, big hurray to you for making Varia into a tool usable for long rides as well (HURRAY!) as I thought it would ootb.

Now I'll finetune the config: during the day, lights off but flash if threatened, and just before dusk switch to lights on (and still flash under threat).

Also thanks HotdogPS & EWUSA for your input. Appreciated!!!

• Hi,

Loving this app!

i want to start the day flash when there’s a vehicle coming. 
    And a solid light when I brake. 
    Otherwise light off. 

This used to work:

###0,73535488::1#3,3!BRAKE:1:4:0:0A[-10!CAR:1:7:0:0I[300[0!:1:0:0:0D=1##5:Varia 715!Off:0!Solid:4!Peloton:5!Day Flash:7!Night Flash:6#0::#0:1#0#0#B3121##11#0#0

Since this week this doesn’t do anything anymore. Light just stays off.

Smart mode is on and now I’m out of ideas. Any clues?

Thanks!

• If I read your config right, it says to only turn the lights on if threat is less than none. Try changing it to more than no threat.

• Hi,

As pointed out, you need to use the "Greater than" threat operator for the bike radar filter. Here is the updated configuration:

###0,73535488::1#3,3!BRAKE:1:4:0:0A[-10!CAR:1:7:0:0I]-1]0!:1:0:0:0D=1##5:Varia 715!Off:0!Solid:4!Peloton:5!Day Flash:7!Night Flash:6#0::#0:1#0#0#B3121##11#0#0

• &

Works again, thanks! :-)

• Hi ,

Please are You going to make Fenix 7Pro compatible version?