Smart Bike Lights (Data Field) / Bike Lights Control (Widget)

I've made two open source CIQ applications to control ANT+ lights:

- Smart Bike Lights (data field): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0d9fd828-c932-4470-9c37-fd2828881888 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/SmartBikeLights/ 

- Bike Lights Control (widget): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/fa3c2332-76e3-4ba1-8528-32a0fd617ab1 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/BikeLightsControl/ 

Smart Bike Lights features:
- Automatic light control (Smart mode) based on the configured filters (sunset, sunlight, speed, ...)
- Manual light control (only for Edge devices with a touch screen or devices with CIQ 3.2 and more than 32KB memory)
- Records lights modes that are displayed in Garmin Connect

Bike Lights Control features:
- Manual light control (available to all devices)

Both applications can be installed on the same device, which can be useful for low end devices (e.g. Edge 520) where "Bike Lights Control" can be used to change light modes manually and "Smart Bike Lights" for automatic light control.

Currently registered ANT+ lights:
- Bontrager Ion Pro RT
- Bontrager Ion 200 RT
- Bontrager Flare RT
- Garmin Varia RTL500
- Garmin Varia RTL510
- Garmin Varia RTL515
- Garmin Varia HL500
- Garmin Varia UT800

in case your ANT+ light is not on the list you can help by doing the following:

1. Install Bike Lights Control
2. Pair your bike light with your Garmin device
3. Open the widget:
- Edge with a touch screen: post which numbers are displayed on the buttons and what mode each button represents when pressed
- Other devices: Select the "Light modes" menu and post which numbers are displayed in the menu and what mode each menu item represents when selected

Example for Bontrager Ion Pro RT:

1 -> High steady beam
2 -> Medium steady beam
5 -> Low steady beam
63 -> Day flash
62 -> Night flash

There are some features that could be possible to add in the future, but would require Garmin to add them to the CIQ api. In case you are interested in any of the below features, consider upvoting their feature request thread:

1. Control lights based on the ambient light sensor available on some devices:
https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/i/bug-reports/ambient-light-sensor-api-access 

• Hi i got new Trek Commuter Pro RT buttons  are: 
    1 - Full brightness

5 - Low brightness

63 - Flash mode.

And i have a question  is it possible to set two trek headlights and varia radar ?
    I got two profiles on Edge 1040 for road bike and for mountain bike.

On road bike i have commuter pro as headlight and varia 515 as tail light and on MTB i have ION Pro headlight. How to set up  this so if i ride on road bike I want to control commuter pro and varia from data filed and if im on MTB i want to control only Ion Pro from data field. 
    Any suggestions how to do It?

P.S 
    If i set up commuter pro in light configurator as Unkown light and set manualy buttos it doesnt show on data field when i  paste configuration  string in germin express.

• Hi

Thanks for the light modes, I've added Trek Commuter Pro RT to the Lights Configurator.

And i have a question  is it possible to set two trek headlights and varia radar ?

Yes, it is possible.

Any suggestions how to do It?

I suggest you to install also "Smart Bike Lights #2" data field, so that you can configure one for the road bike and the other for MTB.
    For the road bike, use "Smart Bike Lights" data field and configure commuter pro + varia 515 lights
    For MTB, use "Smart Bike Lights #2" data field and configure ION Pro + varia 515 lights

• I have x3 bontrager Flare RT rear lights, I would like to control all of them at the same time, when I use the light configuration tool it makes me add a serial number for 1 of the rear lights 

Problem is this means only 1 light works not all 3

How do you get all 3 lights to work please help

Thanks 

• If you want to control all 3 taillights with the same configuration then just create a configuration as you would do it for one light without setting the serial number (leave blank). Also, make sure that all three taillights are paired by using the Garmin Sensors menu. With that, you should be able to control all of them at once.

Feel free to check the documentation for more info: https://github.com/maca88/SmartBikeLights#control-multiple-lights-of-the-same-type 

• Can you run this multiple rear light configuration along side 1 front light that I can use on the data field 

Thanks 

• Yes, you can control multiple Flare RT lights and a headlight by using one data field. The Flare RT lights will be combined into one virtual light by the data field, so all three lights will work as it is one light, the light mode will change on all three lights.

• Hi, I have the varia 515 controlled by smart bike light and it works perfectly on my edge1040. Is it possible to add one more screen to control my Bontrager ION RT front light also and how, code ect. ?

Thanks in advance

• Hi,

If you really want to control your Bontrager ION RT front light on an another screen then you will have to install Smart Bike Lights #2 data field and configure it for your front light only. Also, in order to avoid displaying Varia 515 on the same screen, you will need to add a random light with an invalid serial number.

1. Install Smart Bike Lights #2 data field

2. Create a new screen with 1 Field Layout

3. Add Smart Bike Lights #2 on it

4. Create the configuration for your Ion RT light and add a random taillight with an invalid serial number (e.g. 123). Basic configuration (without filters):

#4587520,196641::1##0,73535488:0,123:1##7,6:Ion 200 RT:0:16777215!2,:-1,Off:0!1,High:1!1,Medium:2!1,Low:5!1,Day Flash:63!1,Night Flash:62#6,5:Varia 515:0:16777215!2,:-1,Off:0!1,Solid:4!1,Peloton:5!1,Day Flash:7!1,Night Flash:6#0::#0:0#123!:123!#0#0#B3843#2#3#0#0

5. Set the configuration in the "Lights Configuration" app setting of Smart Bike Lights #2 data field by using Garmin Express or Garmin IQ Store

6. You should see only Bontrager ION RT on the light panel

• Hi, Thanks for Quick reply and explanation. But, is it possible to have both tha varia and the bontraeger on the same sceeen ? And how ? Thanks in advance. 

• Yes, you can. For that you don't need to install Smart Bike Lights #2 data field. Here are the steps:

1. Make sure that both lights are paired in the Garmin Sensors menu

2. Update the existing configuration by adding the Ion RT front light. Here is a basic example (without filters):

#4587520,196641::1##0,73535488::1##7,6:Ion 200 RT:0:16777215!2,:-1,Off:0!1,High:1!1,Medium:2!1,Low:5!1,Day Flash:63!1,Night Flash:62#6,5:Varia 515:0:16777215!2,:-1,Off:0!1,Solid:4!1,Peloton:5!1,Day Flash:7!1,Night Flash:6#0::#0:0#123!:123!#0#0#B3843#2#3#0#0

3. Now you should see two lights in the existing Smart Bike Lights data field