Smart Bike Lights (Data Field) / Bike Lights Control (Widget)

I've made two open source CIQ applications to control ANT+ lights:

- Smart Bike Lights (data field): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0d9fd828-c932-4470-9c37-fd2828881888 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/SmartBikeLights/ 

- Bike Lights Control (widget): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/fa3c2332-76e3-4ba1-8528-32a0fd617ab1 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/BikeLightsControl/ 

Smart Bike Lights features:
- Automatic light control (Smart mode) based on the configured filters (sunset, sunlight, speed, ...)
- Manual light control (only for Edge devices with a touch screen or devices with CIQ 3.2 and more than 32KB memory)
- Records lights modes that are displayed in Garmin Connect

Bike Lights Control features:
- Manual light control (available to all devices)

Both applications can be installed on the same device, which can be useful for low end devices (e.g. Edge 520) where "Bike Lights Control" can be used to change light modes manually and "Smart Bike Lights" for automatic light control.

Currently registered ANT+ lights:
- Bontrager Ion Pro RT
- Bontrager Ion 200 RT
- Bontrager Flare RT
- Garmin Varia RTL500
- Garmin Varia RTL510
- Garmin Varia RTL515
- Garmin Varia HL500
- Garmin Varia UT800

in case your ANT+ light is not on the list you can help by doing the following:

1. Install Bike Lights Control
2. Pair your bike light with your Garmin device
3. Open the widget:
- Edge with a touch screen: post which numbers are displayed on the buttons and what mode each button represents when pressed
- Other devices: Select the "Light modes" menu and post which numbers are displayed in the menu and what mode each menu item represents when selected

Example for Bontrager Ion Pro RT:

1 -> High steady beam
2 -> Medium steady beam
5 -> Low steady beam
63 -> Day flash
62 -> Night flash

There are some features that could be possible to add in the future, but would require Garmin to add them to the CIQ api. In case you are interested in any of the below features, consider upvoting their feature request thread:

1. Control lights based on the ambient light sensor available on some devices:
https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/i/bug-reports/ambient-light-sensor-api-access 

• Hi,

here's no "Smart" setting on the watch, just "Network" and "Manual".

If there is no "Smart" setting in the menu then it could be one of the following:
    1. The "Lights Configuration" app setting was not set
    2. The "Current Configuration" app setting points to an empty configuration
    3. The serial numbers of the lights are not correct

your configuration seems fine except for "Brake" group which has "Acceleration < 20" instead of "< -20". Regarding the solar intensity filter, I forgot to add it for fenix 7 watches. Now it is added. Here is the corrected configuration with the tunnel filter and removed serial numbers:

1,1!SMART:1H]0#4587520,196641#6,4!night:2:1:0:0Es0,r0H]1!tunnel:1:2:0:0M=0!sunset:2:63:0:0H]2Es-3600,r1800!:1:0:0:0D=1#0,73404416#8,5!Brake:2:4:0:0H=3A[-20!Radar:2:7:0:0I]-1]0H]2!Night:2:6:0:0Es-3600,r1800H]2!tunnel:1:6:0:0M=0!:1:0:0:0D=1#6:Ion 200 RT!Off:0!High:1!Medium:2!Low:5!Day Flash:63!Night Flash:62#4:Varia 510!Off:0!Solid:4!Day Flash:7!Night Flash:6#0::#1:1#B3907#2#2#0#0

try to set the above configuration and check whether the "Smart" setting becomes visible in the menu. 

• Is it possible to add trail light Magene L508?

For Magene L508 code is:
    4 - Solid
    7 - Flashing
    6 - Pulse
    5 - Peloton

Thanks again!

• Thanks for the lights modes, the light is now available on both configurators.

• It didn't become visible with your configuration. Since the solar is now available I simplified the behavior:

1,1!SMART:1H]0#4587520,196641:0,1902009934#2,2!Dark:1:1:0:0M=0!:1:0:0:0D=1#0,73404416:1,1832203479#4,4!Brake:1:4:0:0A[-20!Radar:1:7:0:0I]-1]0!Dark:1:6:0:0M=0!:1:0:0:0D=1#6:Ion 200 RT!Off:0!High:1!Medium:2!Low:5!Day Flash:63!Night Flash:62#4:Varia 510!Off:0!Solid:4!Day Flash:7!Night Flash:6#0::#1:1#B3907#2#2#0#0

It doesn't work if I change the lights from automatic to individual as well. I believe the serial numbers are correct, and I'm able to change the modes manually from the Bike lights control menu.

The current configuration points to primary and the primary is the one I've setup in the app as well. So the only other option is that the app setting wasn't synchronized back to the watch (but in that case I wouldn't be able to switch the modes through the app, right?

• I did a test in the simulator and the "Smart" option become visible when setting the configuration. Just to make sure that you are not using the menu of the widget, how do you get to the "Control mode" menu? For accessing the data field menu on fenix 7 you need to:

1. Hold the "Up" button on the data screen where the data field is placed until a menu is shown

2. Navigate to ConnectIQ Fields -> Smart Bike Lights -> Ion 200 RT -> Control mode and change to the Smart mode

I'm able to change the modes manually from the Bike lights control menu.

The widget "Bike Lights Control" does not have a Smart mode, the Smart mode is only available in the menu of the data field .

So the only other option is that the app setting wasn't synchronized back to the watch (but in that case I wouldn't be able to switch the modes through the app, right?

You would still be able to switch modes through the app, but you would see numbers instead of light mode names (e.g. Solid).

• 1. Hold the "Up" button on the data screen where the data field is placed until a menu is shown

2. Navigate to ConnectIQ Fields -> Smart Bike Lights -> Ion 200 RT -> Control mode and change to the Smart mode

Yes, this is how I access the menu, BUT I don't see the light name, instead of it I just see the "Headlight" and "Taillight". In the "Light modes" I see "Off Off 1 2 5 63" for Headlight, and "Off 4 6 7" for the Taillight. So I guess, based on one comment in the review of the app, that the settings wasn't synchronized to the watch...

• So I guess, based on one comment in the review of the app, that the settings wasn't synchronized to the watch

Is either that or perhaps you configured the widget (Bike Lights Control) instead of the data field (Smart Bike Lights). Check with Garmin Express or Garmin Connect Mobile that the configuration was persisted for the data field. If you re-open the settings of "Smart Bike Lights" and you see that the configuration is there, then it should work. As far as I know CIQ app settings are instantly updated. If it still doesn't work, try to re-install the data field.

• Reinstalling the data field helped! . Thanks Slight smile

• Please can I ask for configuration for edge explore+515 ?  During day - only radar activation, night - nightmode default light.  (global - same as day).  Thank you very much in advance.

• Hi,

it looks I have solved it by from different config. 

But please can I ask if there would be possible to add one feature.

Apparently edge explorer does not have option for tone for green zone. (when car is gone)

Would be somehow possible, when "RADAR" control is done, that it would make tone?  (I can see on display RADAR msg, when car is detected, and when car is gone, it switch back to off.) 

Or there is no way to have tones ?