Smart Bike Lights (Data Field) / Bike Lights Control (Widget)

I've made two open source CIQ applications to control ANT+ lights:

- Smart Bike Lights (data field): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0d9fd828-c932-4470-9c37-fd2828881888 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/SmartBikeLights/ 

- Bike Lights Control (widget): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/fa3c2332-76e3-4ba1-8528-32a0fd617ab1 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/BikeLightsControl/ 

Smart Bike Lights features:
- Automatic light control (Smart mode) based on the configured filters (sunset, sunlight, speed, ...)
- Manual light control (only for Edge devices with a touch screen or devices with CIQ 3.2 and more than 32KB memory)
- Records lights modes that are displayed in Garmin Connect

Bike Lights Control features:
- Manual light control (available to all devices)

Both applications can be installed on the same device, which can be useful for low end devices (e.g. Edge 520) where "Bike Lights Control" can be used to change light modes manually and "Smart Bike Lights" for automatic light control.

Currently registered ANT+ lights:
- Bontrager Ion Pro RT
- Bontrager Ion 200 RT
- Bontrager Flare RT
- Garmin Varia RTL500
- Garmin Varia RTL510
- Garmin Varia RTL515
- Garmin Varia HL500
- Garmin Varia UT800

in case your ANT+ light is not on the list you can help by doing the following:

1. Install Bike Lights Control
2. Pair your bike light with your Garmin device
3. Open the widget:
- Edge with a touch screen: post which numbers are displayed on the buttons and what mode each button represents when pressed
- Other devices: Select the "Light modes" menu and post which numbers are displayed in the menu and what mode each menu item represents when selected

Example for Bontrager Ion Pro RT:

1 -> High steady beam
2 -> Medium steady beam
5 -> Low steady beam
63 -> Day flash
62 -> Night flash

There are some features that could be possible to add in the future, but would require Garmin to add them to the CIQ api. In case you are interested in any of the below features, consider upvoting their feature request thread:

1. Control lights based on the ambient light sensor available on some devices:
https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/i/bug-reports/ambient-light-sensor-api-access 

• Hi, after saving my config i am getting a blue IQ logo. I am using the data field only on the edge 830 (latest 9.40 firmware)

#4587520,196641#6,5!HIGH:2:1:30:0C]8.9408Es0,r0!NIGHT:1:2:0:0Es1800,r0!DUSK:1:5:0:0Es-3600,s1800!DAY:1:63:0:0Er0,s-3600!:1:62:0:0D=1#0,73404416#4,4!DAY:1:7:0:0Er0,s-7200!DUSK:1:6:0:0Es-7200,s0!NIGHT:1:4:0:0Es0,r-60!:1:7:0:0D=1#6,5:Ion Pro RT!2,:-1,Off:0!1,High:1!1,Low:5!1,Day Flash:63!1,Night Flash:62#5,4:Varia 510!2,:-1,Off:0!1,Solid:4!1,Day Flash:7!1,Night Flash:6#0::#1:1#B3122#1#2#1#0

• Hi,

I tried your configuration in the simulator and it works fine. Based on the error that I got from your device, it seems there is something wrong with the paired lights. If you open the menu and go into Sensors -> Lights, do you see two lights one named "Radar" and the other named "Headlight" or is any of them named as "Other"? What numbers do you see on the light panel if you leave the configuration empty?

I think that if you try to re-pair the lights it should start to work.

• Hi. 

Sorry, my English is not good. 

I have the same problems with all my IQs.

It's not problem of Smart Bike Ligths App. I have the same problems with 9.40 firmware after update it. 

Uninstall all your IQ and reinstall them after reboot your Garmin. 

• Great application. I have one suggestion to change the light icon. Moving the battery icon to a vertical position could make the headlight icon larger and easier to read while driving.

• Thanks for the suggestion. Having a larger light icon can work only when one light is paired, for two light there is not enough space to make the light icons bigger. I can try to add a bigger icon when one light is paired, but it will work only for devices with high memory. Based on the image, you seem to have an Edge 530 or 830, which are both high memory devices, so it will work for you.

• Thank you. It would be great.Thumbsup

• Hi,

is it possible to use the small single data fields just to turn the lights on/off and adjust the settings in the widget? It is a bit tedious that I have to press through all the different settings (N/M/S) in order to switch the light off (and that even during a ride). If this is not possible, can I at least deactivate mode N and S?

Thanks, Christoph

• Hi,

is it possible to use the small single data fields just to turn the lights on/off

Currently this is not possible, there is only "Control mode only" settings that allows to change only the control mode (S/N/M) by tapping on the light icon without going through all the light modes. This is something that would make sense to have it configurable in the Lights Configurator, so I will add this to my todo list. For now, you can add an extra data screen with "1 Field" layout with Smart Bike Lights on it, so that you can turn on/off the lights by swiping left and then tap on the "Soild" or "Off" button to turn the light on/off. This is the approach that I am using for manually controlling the lights.

adjust the settings in the widget?

Which settings would you like to adjust?

If this is not possible, can I at least deactivate mode N and S?

No, you can't. Deactivating the S mode when no filters are added in the configuration would make sense, I will take a look at it. Regarding deactivating the N mode, I am not sure how it would work out, as this is the default Garmin mode and can be activated again outside the data field by using the Garmin menu.

• Hi, here are the light codes for the new Garmin Varia RCT715:

4 - Solid (Low/peloton mode)

5 - Solid

6 - Night flash

7 - Day flash

I've been using SBL for a while and find that the mode always starts as manual, is there any way to get it to default to smart on startup? Thanks.