Smart Bike Lights (Data Field) / Bike Lights Control (Widget)

I've made two open source CIQ applications to control ANT+ lights:

- Smart Bike Lights (data field): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0d9fd828-c932-4470-9c37-fd2828881888 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/SmartBikeLights/ 

- Bike Lights Control (widget): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/fa3c2332-76e3-4ba1-8528-32a0fd617ab1 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/BikeLightsControl/ 

Smart Bike Lights features:
- Automatic light control (Smart mode) based on the configured filters (sunset, sunlight, speed, ...)
- Manual light control (only for Edge devices with a touch screen or devices with CIQ 3.2 and more than 32KB memory)
- Records lights modes that are displayed in Garmin Connect

Bike Lights Control features:
- Manual light control (available to all devices)

Both applications can be installed on the same device, which can be useful for low end devices (e.g. Edge 520) where "Bike Lights Control" can be used to change light modes manually and "Smart Bike Lights" for automatic light control.

Currently registered ANT+ lights:
- Bontrager Ion Pro RT
- Bontrager Ion 200 RT
- Bontrager Flare RT
- Garmin Varia RTL500
- Garmin Varia RTL510
- Garmin Varia RTL515
- Garmin Varia HL500
- Garmin Varia UT800

in case your ANT+ light is not on the list you can help by doing the following:

1. Install Bike Lights Control
2. Pair your bike light with your Garmin device
3. Open the widget:
- Edge with a touch screen: post which numbers are displayed on the buttons and what mode each button represents when pressed
- Other devices: Select the "Light modes" menu and post which numbers are displayed in the menu and what mode each menu item represents when selected

Example for Bontrager Ion Pro RT:

1 -> High steady beam
2 -> Medium steady beam
5 -> Low steady beam
63 -> Day flash
62 -> Night flash

There are some features that could be possible to add in the future, but would require Garmin to add them to the CIQ api. In case you are interested in any of the below features, consider upvoting their feature request thread:

1. Control lights based on the ambient light sensor available on some devices:
https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/i/bug-reports/ambient-light-sensor-api-access 

• Hello maca88,

thank you very much for your quick answer.

I changed my configuration as you recommended.

From Data Screen-> Data Field

I selected : Smart Bike Lights

and it's working! Great.

My last question:

I have also changed the "Bike Lights Control" configuration to the one you sent,

but I cannot find the widget "Bike Lights Control" from the Garmin Activity Profiles.

Is the apps from widgets hidden in the Edge 1000?

I tried to set it as following:

Activity Profiles -> Train -> Data Screens -> Screen 4 -> Select a Category -> Connect IQ ->

Select a Data Field: here I see only 2 options:

• TailLightField
    • Smart Bike Lights

There's no "Bike Lights Control". Maybe there is another way how to select apps from widgets in Edge1000?

Any way, thanks a lot for you help which I appreciate. 

• Widgets in Edge 1000 can be found by swiping from top of the screen down and then swipe left. You can check this short video to see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_12KGr46kiE

• Hello,

Unbelievable! You are great!

I tried to find the widgets more than a week, I read the Garmin Edge1000 manual and found no answer.

Now with your answer and help, everything is working and clear.

Thank you again.

Have a nice evening :-)

• Hi maca88,

I've just purchased the Bontrager Light Set, Ion200 RT / Flare RT.

I plan to use your app to control the lights, I've read through all the post but as I'm new to light control I'm a bit unsure how the all the filters operate.

Can I use a Filter to make the taillight act as a brake light? Or is this for the Garmin radar equipped lights only?

What Filters will work on the lights I've purchased?

Ideally my goal would be for the lights to switch on when I start an activity, switch off when I pause an activity or stop an activity and of course a brake light function would be an added bonus if possible.

Many thanks for providing such a great app.

• Hi,

Can I use a Filter to make the taillight act as a brake light?

Yes you can do that by using the Acceleration filter with a negative value. Here is a configuration that matches your requirements:

1,1!:1H]2#4587520,196641#3,3!DAY:1:63:1Er0,s0!NIGHT:1:1:1Es0,r0!:1:2:1D=1#6291461,1409482753#4,4!BRAKE:1:1:1A[-10!DAY:1:7:1Er0,s0!NIGHT:1:5:1Es0,r0!:1:8:1D=1#7,6:Ion 200 RT!2,:-1,Off:0!1,High:1!1,Medium:2!1,Low:5!1,Day Flash:63!1,Night Flash:62#7,6:Flare RT!2,:-1,Off:0!1,Day Steady:1!1,Night Steady:5!1,Day Flash:7!1,All-Day Flash:8!1,Night Flash:63#0::#0:0#B2713#2#1#0#0

as you didn't specify what Garmin device you will use, I set the device to Edge 1030. In case you have a different device, you will need to modify the configuration by selecting the correct device.

For braking, you can modify the negative value to a lower value (e.g. -20) in case you want it to be less sensitive.

• Hi maca88

Thank you so much for the config file.

I have a 1030plus, but I can give it a go and modify what you have provided. 
    Can’t wait to give it a go, once I’m up and running I’ll experiment with the other filters in your app.

Great support, keep up the good work. 

Much appreciated.

• Question. I want to run (just turn on and turn off in the high flashing mode) a single ION200-RT on my handlebars and three Flare RT's (two on the back of my helmet, one on my seat post). I own an Edge 1030 Plus. How do I handle the configuration? Is there a tutorial for those lacking a software PhD? Turn On when I am riding on a street with automobiles. Torn Off when I am on a bicycle trail or back at my apartment or sipping champaign in a side-walk cafe.     

• For manually turning on and off lights you can use either Smart Bike Lights or Bike Lights Control.

This is the configuration for Bike Lights Control and also for Smart Bike Lights:

#4587520,196641##6291461,1409482753##7,6:Ion 200 RT!2,:-1,Off:0!1,High:1!1,Medium:2!1,Low:5!1,Day Flash:63!1,Night Flash:62#7,6:Flare RT!2,:-1,Off:0!1,Day Steady:1!1,Night Steady:5!1,Day Flash:7!1,All-Day Flash:8!1,Night Flash:63#0::#0:0#B3570#2#1#0#0

Is there a tutorial for those lacking a software PhD?

Currently there is no tutorial on how to create a lights configuration, this is something that I am planning to do in the next week.

• Hey !

Thanks for the superb widget/data field, however I am unable to get simple code right for my Edge830 and Varia RTL510 to have this configured:

1) brake light

2) only turn on if object detected

3) and use high visibility (day flash) 30min before sunset till sunrise.

All my attempts failed so far Disappointed

Thanks!

• Hi,

here is the "Smart Bike Lights" configuration for your requirements:

###0,73404416#4,4!CAR:1:4:1I]-1]0!BRAKE:1:4:1A[-10!NIGHT:1:7:1Es-1800,r0!:1:0:1D=1##5,4:Varia 510!2,:-1,Off:0!1,Solid:4!1,Day Flash:7!1,Night Flash:6#0::#0:0#B3122##2#0#0

For braking, you can modify the "BRAKE" filter group by setting the acceleration value to a lower value (e.g. -20) in case you want it to be less sensitive.

Make sure that the "S" character is displayed on the light and not "M" or "N".