Smart Bike Lights (Data Field) / Bike Lights Control (Widget)

I've made two open source CIQ applications to control ANT+ lights:

- Smart Bike Lights (data field): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0d9fd828-c932-4470-9c37-fd2828881888 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/SmartBikeLights/ 

- Bike Lights Control (widget): https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/fa3c2332-76e3-4ba1-8528-32a0fd617ab1 

Configurator: https://maca88.github.io/BikeLightsControl/ 

Smart Bike Lights features:
- Automatic light control (Smart mode) based on the configured filters (sunset, sunlight, speed, ...)
- Manual light control (only for Edge devices with a touch screen or devices with CIQ 3.2 and more than 32KB memory)
- Records lights modes that are displayed in Garmin Connect

Bike Lights Control features:
- Manual light control (available to all devices)

Both applications can be installed on the same device, which can be useful for low end devices (e.g. Edge 520) where "Bike Lights Control" can be used to change light modes manually and "Smart Bike Lights" for automatic light control.

Currently registered ANT+ lights:
- Bontrager Ion Pro RT
- Bontrager Ion 200 RT
- Bontrager Flare RT
- Garmin Varia RTL500
- Garmin Varia RTL510
- Garmin Varia RTL515
- Garmin Varia HL500
- Garmin Varia UT800

in case your ANT+ light is not on the list you can help by doing the following:

1. Install Bike Lights Control
2. Pair your bike light with your Garmin device
3. Open the widget:
- Edge with a touch screen: post which numbers are displayed on the buttons and what mode each button represents when pressed
- Other devices: Select the "Light modes" menu and post which numbers are displayed in the menu and what mode each menu item represents when selected

Example for Bontrager Ion Pro RT:

1 -> High steady beam
2 -> Medium steady beam
5 -> Low steady beam
63 -> Day flash
62 -> Night flash

There are some features that could be possible to add in the future, but would require Garmin to add them to the CIQ api. In case you are interested in any of the below features, consider upvoting their feature request thread:

1. Control lights based on the ambient light sensor available on some devices:
https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/i/bug-reports/ambient-light-sensor-api-access 

• Thanks for your explanation
    Because in some cases, the light will only flash for 1 cycle, and the time is very short. If you help? I still hope to be able to customize the length of time.
    Your program is very useful

Thanks again

• Hello!

I tried to use your data field on my Fenix 6X to control my Bontrager Ion Pro and Bontrager rear light. Love the idea of automatic light mode and brake light but every time I try to save my settings on Connect I get an error saying “page is not available “. 

Also, not related to your data field, but is it possible to choose which activity that’s able to start my lights? I want my bike lights to start automatically when I choose the activity “Bike” not “Yoga “ or “running”. 

• I would also like to see such an option. The radar should have this option available from the factory. A few times the radar turned off during longer rides, the fact that I could have charged before leaving, I forgot to charge. Without light, the operating length should be considerably longer, but light when approaching a car significantly improves safety.

Or maybe it is possible to turn on / off the ANT + camera just like the radar lights? The Virb webcam in continuous recording mode does not work for too long. In standby mode plus incidental switching on should be enough even for long trips with the registration of each oncoming car.

• > every time I try to save my settings on Connect I get an error saying “page is not available “.

That is strange, I tried changing the settings on my Edge and it works fine. Unfortunately I don't have a Garmin watch to test, maybe there was just a temporary issue with Garmin Connect that is now gone.

> is it possible to choose which activity that’s able to start my lights?

I've check the api and it seems to be possible to have a filter based on the activity profile name (developer.garmin.com/.../ProfileInfo.html, but it is available only for devices with CIQ 3.2. As your Fenix 6X supports CIQ 3.2, you would be able to use such filter. I can try to add it on the next release, but I will need someone to test it as my Edge 1000 does not support CIQ 3.2.

• > I would also like to see such an option

I am working on it and I will let you know when it will be ready to test.

> Or maybe it is possible to turn on / off the ANT + camera just like the radar lights?

As far I know it is not possible, on the Garmin Connect IQ documentation there is no api available for accessing or controlling a camera.

• Yes, I will implement the "timer" and let you know when it will be released.

• On second thought, I don't think there is a need for such a filter as it is enough to set the data field only for the "Bike" activity. If you don't have the data field set on the data screen of the "Running" activity, then the lights will not be started.

• That's great
    Thanks for your hard work

• That’s the problem! As soon as I enter the menu where I can choose between all activity types the lights starts... I have only installed your data field on the biking activity. Thought that the watch would be smart enough to understand that I won’t need my biking lights when running or at the gym, but as long as the lights are within range from my Fenix they’ll light up.

It it’s downright dangerous when the lights starts as soon as I open the activity menu. The front light gets really hot when turned on, nothing you want shining in your drawer...

• > As soon as I enter the menu where I can choose between all activity types the lights starts

Does this only occur when using this data field or do the lights turn on even when removing this data field from the biking activity? If it occurs only when using this data field, can you paste the lights configuration that you are using?

What option do you have selected in sensors menu "Lights" > "Network Options" > "Light Beat Activated" (www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-6A8AA63D-B263-4BD8-B54B-123F76862BA0.html)