Widget: BLE remote control for Insta360 One R 360° Action Cam

[updated 2023-04-05]

A widget to remote control (via Bluetooth) Insta360's One R & X cameras.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-EN/apps/bb53f4bb-6c8c-4369-bca9-84cc09b25526

Also available as a data-field for touch based Edge device

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/f0cdaa9c-5733-4748-ba66-1c7a3b008922

Insta360 Remote Control

Features:

• Start / Stop Recording
  • Select  video or photo shooting mode (Standard, HDR, Time-lapse, 24-25-30 fps, etc).
  • Send GPS telemetry to the camera to be stored in the video file.
  • Add a "Highlight" marker in the video file (not available in the DF).
  • Add a "Track That" marker  in the video file(not available in the DF).
  • Last state is saved, so will resume where it was if the widget exits or was disconnected.

Known limitation & issues:

• Users have reported that this widget also works with the One X, X2 & X3, but the menus for the various shooting modes are only the ones available one the One R
  • Same goes with the 4K & 1inch module of the One R: only the shooting modes for the 360° module are availbale
  • The widget will auto exit after some time (depending on your device). This is a limitation from Garmin.If you have a newr watch (starting with Fenix 7) you can use the widget as an app, and it won't exit,
  • The widget can be launched from within one of Garmin's official activity (but not if you are in Glance mode) by pressing & holding the back button.
  • There is no countdown / delay option
  • While the widget is active, if the recording is started or stopped from the camera, the widget will react accordingly but will not know in which mode the camera is in.
  • When starting the widget, if it indicates that the camera is still recording and it's not the case, got to the menu and re-select a shooting mode. This will reset the widget.

This thread is to discuss problems with the widget and also possible future functionality.

Have fun!

Greg

• Thanks for getting back. Both points make sense. Regarding the countdown maybe you can add some text clarifying that.. not that is a big deal :) I see what you mean with the number of clicks as well, for me the widget shortcut only takes to music and was a bit confusing at first but can be done relatively quick (not sure how it would work form the activity TBH, was in case it was worth exploring).  Will update if I have any other comments regarding the metrics part.. just got my camera and was excited to find out about this functionality. Cheers!

• Hey Greg,

Are you able to have the garmin snowboarding activity session run while going into this app to control 360 and use gps data? I have the Fenix 6

Thanks,

Jon

• Hi Jon

It should ;-) When starting the widget from the activity, make sure that GPS is ON (you might need to do a GPS OFF / GPS ON). Once you have finished shooting your video, make sure you come back to the snowboarding activity by pressing back & start. I've noticed that if you stay too long on the widget without recording anything, the activity does not record that part for whatever reason... 

• I have garmin 245, I have installed the widget but I don't understand how to display it during an activity. I tried to press and hold the back button but the clock only tells me one lap.

• Hi Antonio,

I had a quick look at the user manual for the FR245, and it seems that it does not have the possibility to come back to the widget loop from within an activity (this is a standard feature for the Fenix series).

So the only way to use this widget on your watch is directly from the main widget loop

Cheers,

Greg

•  Hi ars.fabula

I have try the 0.9.27 with the GPS switch function,

with this version, the other GPS widgets works well with the insta360 widget,

and the insta360 widget can also get the GPS signal this time, but just once AFTER I turn on the switch,

that means I need to turn off and turn on again to make this widget work everytime,

but any way it works on my  mk2s.

Thank you

• Hi Greg!

For some reason, I am able to access my One X2 through my FR945 but cannot do so through my Edge 830.  It is just stuck at "Scan... 64".  Is there anything I missed out doing? I have the Edge 830 and have it as a Data Field.    Love the app on my watch and hoping to experiencing the same on my Edge.

Thanks!

Jasper

• Hi Jasper,

I'm assuming that Bluetooth is switched on and that you can sync with your phone ? Make sure that you don't have the widget also installed on the Edge (just the datafield). Try also to turn off completely (reboot) the edge device. I have an Edge Explorer and the DF sometimes misbehaves when de device goes to "sleep". 

If you already have only the DF, can you try and delete the DF and install only the widget ? it's based on the same code so one or the other should work.

If neither work, can you try installing Jim's BleScan and check if you see any Bluetooth devices?

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/9bcc8b66-8385-4afb-b93e-f69e01422284

Cheers,

Greg

• Hi Greg.  Did what you told.  Everything is back to working now! No idea what went wrong at first but glad that it is working.  Great app!

• Hi Greg,

Please add support for fēnix 5X :D 

thank you.