Widget: BLE remote control for Insta360 One R 360° Action Cam

[updated 2023-04-05]

A widget to remote control (via Bluetooth) Insta360's One R & X cameras.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-EN/apps/bb53f4bb-6c8c-4369-bca9-84cc09b25526

Also available as a data-field for touch based Edge device

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/f0cdaa9c-5733-4748-ba66-1c7a3b008922

Insta360 Remote Control

Features:

• Start / Stop Recording
  • Select  video or photo shooting mode (Standard, HDR, Time-lapse, 24-25-30 fps, etc).
  • Send GPS telemetry to the camera to be stored in the video file.
  • Add a "Highlight" marker in the video file (not available in the DF).
  • Add a "Track That" marker  in the video file(not available in the DF).
  • Last state is saved, so will resume where it was if the widget exits or was disconnected.

Known limitation & issues:

• Users have reported that this widget also works with the One X, X2 & X3, but the menus for the various shooting modes are only the ones available one the One R
  • Same goes with the 4K & 1inch module of the One R: only the shooting modes for the 360° module are availbale
  • The widget will auto exit after some time (depending on your device). This is a limitation from Garmin.If you have a newr watch (starting with Fenix 7) you can use the widget as an app, and it won't exit,
  • The widget can be launched from within one of Garmin's official activity (but not if you are in Glance mode) by pressing & holding the back button.
  • There is no countdown / delay option
  • While the widget is active, if the recording is started or stopped from the camera, the widget will react accordingly but will not know in which mode the camera is in.
  • When starting the widget, if it indicates that the camera is still recording and it's not the case, got to the menu and re-select a shooting mode. This will reset the widget.

This thread is to discuss problems with the widget and also possible future functionality.

Have fun!

Greg

• Sorry, but the VA3 does not have the require BLE hardware support to communicate with the camera.

• Trying setting the watch not to use glance mode for widgets.

• Thanks for your proposal but Widget glances cannot be turned off on the Forerunner 55, 745, 945 LTE, or Venu 2 and 2S :-(

• Hi ars.fabula ,  I found all of my widgets cannot get GPS signal because of  the remote control insta360 one R, once I install this widgets, all other widgets (I tried 9 GPS widgets) can not get GPS, when I uninstall the remote control insta360 one R, all other widgets work again. I seems that this widgets will block the GPS to other widgets in my mk2s (the apps are ok), of course  the remote control insta360 one R can not get GPS neither.

• I don't even know how blocking other widgets is possible. Garmin made a lot of effort to be sure that a program cannot disturb another one...  ;-) I'll add an option to have the GPS not enabled in my code

• Thanks ars.fabula, expecting to have a try

• Hi Greg,

Quick question, are you going to support the new Garmin Epix Gen 2 (and also the Fenix 7 S/N/X)?

Thanks a lot for your work.

• it's on my to do list ;-)

• Haven´t tried the GPS metrics yet but connects/records with 945 and One X2, and this is already a genuinely useful feature. Just wanted to say most of all thanks for the great job.    Some comments: countdown for connection seems to skip seconds and goes down too fast. A screen within activities could also be a cool feature (not having to exit to the widget, not sure how feasible is that).  

• Thanks for the kudos. The countdown is not based on seconds but on number of Bluetooth broadcast messages  that the watch receives and analyses until it finds the camera. If it goes down fast, it means that there are many Bluetooth devices around you. If it stays at 64, then no Bluetooth devices is nearby, and the camera is not even on.

I could write a datafield for watches running CIQ 3.2 and above, but the number of button press you would need to do to start a recording would be longer than to access the widget directly from within the activity. I did write a datafield for touch based Edge device because to start /stop recording is only a tap on the screen when the datafield is displayed...