Widget: BLE remote control for Insta360 One R 360° Action Cam

[updated 2023-04-05]

A widget to remote control (via Bluetooth) Insta360's One R & X cameras.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-EN/apps/bb53f4bb-6c8c-4369-bca9-84cc09b25526

Also available as a data-field for touch based Edge device

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/f0cdaa9c-5733-4748-ba66-1c7a3b008922

Insta360 Remote Control

Features:

• Start / Stop Recording
  • Select  video or photo shooting mode (Standard, HDR, Time-lapse, 24-25-30 fps, etc).
  • Send GPS telemetry to the camera to be stored in the video file.
  • Add a "Highlight" marker in the video file (not available in the DF).
  • Add a "Track That" marker  in the video file(not available in the DF).
  • Last state is saved, so will resume where it was if the widget exits or was disconnected.

Known limitation & issues:

• Users have reported that this widget also works with the One X, X2 & X3, but the menus for the various shooting modes are only the ones available one the One R
  • Same goes with the 4K & 1inch module of the One R: only the shooting modes for the 360° module are availbale
  • The widget will auto exit after some time (depending on your device). This is a limitation from Garmin.If you have a newr watch (starting with Fenix 7) you can use the widget as an app, and it won't exit,
  • The widget can be launched from within one of Garmin's official activity (but not if you are in Glance mode) by pressing & holding the back button.
  • There is no countdown / delay option
  • While the widget is active, if the recording is started or stopped from the camera, the widget will react accordingly but will not know in which mode the camera is in.
  • When starting the widget, if it indicates that the camera is still recording and it's not the case, got to the menu and re-select a shooting mode. This will reset the widget.

This thread is to discuss problems with the widget and also possible future functionality.

Have fun!

Greg

• No, The Zumo XT is not in Garmin's Connect IQ ecosystem.

• Hi ars,fabula,

I read the issues in the comment and have similar experience. Am using the Fenix 7x Sapphire solar with the downloaded Insta360 One R Remote app. After tapping on the Insta360 One R Remote app on my watch, I can see the red ring and waited and waited but there was no green bars. My Insta360 ONE RS 1-INCH 360 EDITION starts recording once I tap on the watch app but no GPS data was being recorded. Is it because Insta360 ONE RS 1-INCH 360 EDITION is not compatible with this Insta360 One R Remote app? 

Richard 

[email protected] 

• It's my main bug in my app that I haven't ironed out yet. You need to disable and tenable GPS in the widget's menu (long press on the middle left button)

• Hi,

Thanks. You mentioned the need to disable and enable GPS. I did disable and enable GPS in my Garmin Fenix 7X but it still does not work. 

When you mention 
    disable and enable GPS in the widget's menu (long press on the middle left button), are you referring to the middle left button on my Garmin watch while it’s showing the Insta360 One R Remote app widget? I did try that but I still don’t see any prompt to disable and enable GPS but only to reorder glance, remove glance, add glance and create folder.

Pls advise. Rgds  

• From the glance view you need to start the widget and only then press the left middle button, you get the widget's options to choose the shooting mode. The last option is to disable/enable GPS

• Not sure about "5224466" but I personally have the 2 following issues:
    1. not changing the recording modes (not my biggest issue)
    2. not always recording gps data although it does says GPS on and start the camera from the garmin

thanks for the work

Frederic

• Hi.
          I am able to see the shooting modes and managed to disable / enable the GPS on my Garmin Fenix 7X.

Do I need to disable / enable the GPS everytime before I start a fresh new recording session? Reason is I noticed the green bar GPS lock does not work until I disable and then enable it again in my Fenix 7X Garmin watch whenever I want to start my first fresh recording session. 

I also noticed that when I want to stop recording from the Garmin watch app, I have to press / tap stop twice on the watch to end the recording from the camera device else it’ll still record even though the watch app says it’s stopping. Rgds  

• Do I need to disable / enable the GPS everytime before I start a fresh new recording session? Reason is I noticed the green bar GPS lock does not work until I disable and then enable it again in my Fenix 7X Garmin watch whenever I want to start my first fresh recording session. 

Yes, you need to re-enable each time. It's bug that I haven't figured out yet.

I also noticed that when I want to stop recording from the Garmin watch app, I have to press / tap stop twice on the watch to end the recording from the camera device else it’ll still record even though the watch app says it’s stopping

Please be patient. When doing long recordings, it takes a while until the camera is ready again as it "closes" properly the current video