Watchface: M2

This is the support thread for the M2 watchface:

has created a Facebook group for designs here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/423319952037948

And this PDF files contains a quick visual index to the designs posted in this thread: >>>    ForumProfiles1.pdf    <<<

To create your own design or modify one, install & use the M2 Designer app on your watch. These are the steps you would go through:

• Optionally paste a text code into the "Profile Text" setting of M2 Designer & save the settings, or load one of your previously saved designs (either via the settings or the in-app menu).
  • Run the M2 Designer app (found underneath your activities list) and create your design.
  • Once you've finished, open the Garmin settings for M2 Designer.
  • The text code in "Profile Text" will now represent whatever your design looks like, so copy the text code from "Profile Text" - and be careful to select the whole text.
  • Close the settings for M2 Designer.
  • Open the Garmin settings for M2 (watchface) instead.
  • Delete any text that was already in "Profile Text" - this step helps to avoid potential problems
  • Paste the text code into "Profile Text".
  • Save the settings.
  • Now when you view the M2 watchface it will show your changes.

A guide for accessing the Garmin settings is here: https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/w/wiki/14/changing-your-app-settings-in-garmin-express-gcm-ciq-mobile-store.

Profile text for the default display = 01Ys2525111WDPO1011WwWO020Vc121VZ11WwXw03X7C11WwVd035C13NC13XDC19010000

------------------

Notes on 12-hour and 24-hour display options - see 4 posts down (with Oldest first) ...

See the latest posts by clicking newest (if it is visible just below) or using the page navigation (if visible at the very bottom).

• Matching another pair of watch strap and watch face to each other - as Israeli, I was not able to miss this band, even its colors are not completely the same with the flag.

The code is:

1st half:

01ZW5VX25111WDPVX1017Y6VX0VtXGVoZW70VX0YdXGVoZW1XGXN023VnVX1XGWB021Vn11XGX603RI11XG503X7G11WXU036G11WmU03SG11X2U03BG11XHU03SG11XlU03GG11WlZ70BVWG11X1Z70BKG11XMZ703EG11XbZ703SG11XlZ7034G11XGYi03W9G11XVYi03SG11XmYi032G11WdYi0BKG11WrYi0BRG1YNFXa04I11Z9FXa04H

2nd half:

1VdXLFXB04E1VXXbFXB04E1VdX5ZHXV04F1VXWpZHXV04F1VdW3ZHXE04J11VnZHXE04J1VdWJFWm04C1VXWZFWm04C1Vd1ZHWm04R11dXZHWm04R1Vd

P.S. As Dutch resident, I was also not able to miss the red-white-blue strap, so it is on its way from China :).
    P.P.S. I just got told that this strap looks like the Honduran Flag as well, so Hondurans, please enjoy it too! :-)
  • Would it be possible to get current activity status (active, paused, stopped) as a visibility option? It seems to be possible since some watchfaces (like "Clear and Powerful") display activity status icons.(Just tried it on my Fenix 5+, and it correctly showed whether an activity was in progress.)

• - customizing for different straps is so cool Slight smile

• - that's a nice idea and should be quick to do Slight smile I'm going to update to the latest SDK today (and see if that works ok) - so I'll try to add this in at the same time.

• Wow! Does this include the weather option? Please let me know if help with testing is needed/possible!

•  - well it will allow me to start investigating weather at least Slight smile

But there's a lot of steps involved in the process so will take a while:

• Need to work out which weather information to show (most important to users, yet small enough to fit in available memory)
    • Make required icons etc
    • Setup method to display weather options in the Designer
    • Even then it may not be possible to fit in remaining available memory ... the new SDK apparently uses up a few hundred more bytes than the old one which eats into what was previously spare. So have to see!

[Something like visibility options is many times easier, as it's just one line of code really.]

• - just finished the CIQ SDK update to 3.2.2 (all works) and did upload new versions of M2 & M2 Designer with 4 x visibility options for the current activity:

• Off - no current activity
    • On - activity is active (and not paused / stopped)
    • Paused - activity is paused
    • Stopped - activity is stopped

But I haven't tested these activity options yet Slight smile If you try them and they work or don't then please let me know!

• I definitely understand that adding a weather option is not easy, especially due to the Garmin memory constraint and not always polished SDK functionalities.
    Please let me know I may help with testing or providing feedback regarding icons, methods etc.
    Thank you for your great M2!
  • - one bit of useful information would be what's the minimal data that you would want to display? Slight smile Things like:

• Current weather or 1 hour forecast or forecast for the day?
    • Temperature? (feels like or actual?)
    • Precipitation chance?
    • Wind?
    • Icons for anything?
    • Summary of condition? (Dry / rain / snow - Garmin list 53 of these ...)

Something like current temperature and precipitation chance only would be an easy case.

The new SDK weather information is here: https://developer.garmin.com/connect-iq/api-docs/Toybox/Weather.html so you can see what is possible.

But I think the next stage for me is to try and work out how to free up some more memory for a weather feature (or wait for newer watches with more memory). Which might involve making a "M3" if a lot of changes are needed. Or maybe make a customisable weather widget instead ...

I'd put the weather information to display into the prio order (and IMHO):

• Bare minimum: 1 hour forecast (current conditions are also OK):
      • actual temperature as number,
      • precipitation chance + cloudiness level as single icon (e.g. sun or clouds+rain etc.)
    • Reasonable: 1 hour forecast as above + today's forecast with high/low temperature and cloudiness level, precipitation chance as "summary of condition" text or icon, perhaps wind too:
    • Nice to have: adding 3-days forecast with high/low temperatures and icons for precipitation chance and sky condition per day.
    • Optional: time and place for the weather data update.

You may find a few more examples of weather theme watchfaces from the same source :) here:

https://youtu.be/V9t_Cv8P3MI , https://youtu.be/ZEmQnPqhjW8 , https://youtu.be/UZuWu_NUWgQ

Another example - very old watchfaces I made for my first Pebble smartwatch with the Canvas editor:

What do you and fellow forum members say? :)

P.S. Regarding M3: what do you think if the watch face development could be moved from the watch itself to a smartphone app like implemented in the WatchMaker editor? Would this make the Garmin watch memory limitation less critical?