Watchface: M2

This is the support thread for the M2 watchface:

has created a Facebook group for designs here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/423319952037948

And this PDF files contains a quick visual index to the designs posted in this thread: >>>    ForumProfiles1.pdf    <<<

To create your own design or modify one, install & use the M2 Designer app on your watch. These are the steps you would go through:

• Optionally paste a text code into the "Profile Text" setting of M2 Designer & save the settings, or load one of your previously saved designs (either via the settings or the in-app menu).
  • Run the M2 Designer app (found underneath your activities list) and create your design.
  • Once you've finished, open the Garmin settings for M2 Designer.
  • The text code in "Profile Text" will now represent whatever your design looks like, so copy the text code from "Profile Text" - and be careful to select the whole text.
  • Close the settings for M2 Designer.
  • Open the Garmin settings for M2 (watchface) instead.
  • Delete any text that was already in "Profile Text" - this step helps to avoid potential problems
  • Paste the text code into "Profile Text".
  • Save the settings.
  • Now when you view the M2 watchface it will show your changes.

A guide for accessing the Garmin settings is here: https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/w/wiki/14/changing-your-app-settings-in-garmin-express-gcm-ciq-mobile-store.

Profile text for the default display = 01Ys2525111WDPO1011WwWO020Vc121VZ11WwXw03X7C11WwVd035C13NC13XDC19010000

------------------

Notes on 12-hour and 24-hour display options - see 4 posts down (with Oldest first) ...

See the latest posts by clicking newest (if it is visible just below) or using the page navigation (if visible at the very bottom).

• Yep when I have time - also need Garmin to increase an upload limit which I have currently hit. Feel free to vote up this bug report Slight smileforums.garmin.com/.../could-you-please-increase-the-upload-limit-for-the-app-iq-file-to-be-larger-than-15mb

• Is it possible to change the settings via app on the mobile? Or via web-interface and sending the code to the watch. 

Very complicated to do this at the watch herself.

• Sorry, but it isn't possible currently - I'm not a mobile app or web developer, and don't have the free time to learn it unfortunately! My older watchfaces (M1) allow you to customise using the Garmin settings, but it can be pretty complicated, and the size/complexity of the settings introduces limitations.

• No problem. Keep up your great work. I know it´s me that didn´t know what to do.

Find several text-strings here. Need to send them via e-mail to myself. Open the e-mail on my mobile and copy the text. But...

Did´t really understand the connection between the Designer-App and the watchface. Copy here, open there, save somewhere else, open again...

Didn´t understand the profile function either. Would like to copy some watchfaces from this thread in profiles to change between the different ones via the watch.. Not possible to me.

Nothing for me.

• You can also use Garmin Express on PC to paste in a profile string (copy & paste on mobile can be pain I know Slight smile) But if you use Garmin Express and start doing more complicated things (like saving & loading profiles) then you will need to disconnect your watch in between each time you save settings, so that M2 or the Designer can run and handle the save/load that you just sent via settings.

There is a bit more info on loading & saving multiple profiles here: forums.garmin.com/.../1004403 (and I'll update it a bit more now!)

• Thank you, but that´s way to complicated (to me) and i don´t understand the logic behind. Working at an IT company but that is simply not understandable. Sorry. 

My thoughts:

- Design a watchface via M2-Designer-App incl. WYSWYG

- Store the watchface design with a own name

- "Load" a watchface via M2-Designer-App to rebuild or to send to watch.

Than the Name "Designer" became true. So i had to click around my watch... small, dark and with less usability.

• @MAKES2068 Yep a phone app would be nice I agree! (If someone wants to volunteer to write one Slight smile)

• Yes that´s right.

First it would be enough to understand how to store a profile and switch between them. ;-)

You write:

Advanced things you can do with the saved profiles: But how to save them? How to give them numers/names and how to find them afterwards?

...you can save different designs in M2 or M2 Designer: why or? how? M2 to use and M2 designer to change?

• @MAKES2068 I'll give some more explanation Slight smile

M2 is the watchface, and M2 Designer is an app (found underneath your activities list) and it allows you to create a design or modify one (to be used in the watchface).

They are separate from each other and can't share data (Garmin don't allow it) - hence the only way to transfer a profile from one to the other is as a text string - the profile text.

In order to access the profile text you have to use the Garmin settings in Garmin Connect Mobile, Garmin Connect IQ Store app or Garmin Express. The official guide for accessing the Garmin settings is here: https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/w/wiki/14/changing-your-app-settings-in-garmin-express-gcm-ciq-mobile-store.

M2 and M2 Designer each have their own settings and saved profiles (as they are separate apps). The saved profiles are only referred to by a number: 1 to 24 - you have to remember which one is which. I didn't implement names to refer to a profile as it becomes more expensive. So we are going a bit old school here with numbers - think of them as fixed slots, like locker numbers.

In order to save a profile to a save slot:

• Open the settings (either for M2 or M2 Designer - depending on which one you want to use the profile in)
    • Paste the profile string into the "Profile Text" setting
    • Change "Profile Management" to "Save Profile"
    • Change "Profile Number" to the number you want to use
    • Save and close the settings
    • (If you are using Garmin Express then disconnect the watch from the USB cable and allow M2 or M2 Designer to run)

In order to load a profile from a save slot:

• Open the settings (either for M2 or M2 Designer - depending on which one has the saved profile)
    • Change "Profile Management" to "Load Profile"
    • Change "Profile Number" to the number you want to use
    • Save and close the settings
    • (If you are using Garmin Express then disconnect the watch from the USB cable and allow M2 or M2 Designer to run)
    • The profile will now be displayed on your watch (in M2 or M2 Designer)
    • If you reopen the settings then the "Profile Text" will now have changed to match the profile you just loaded.

In M2 Designer you can also save & load profiles from the menu - if you go down to the menus "Save Profile" and "Load Profile" then you can select a number of the slot to save or load. This is just a fast way of switching between designs you are working on in the Designer. This menu doesn't exist in M2 as watchfaces can't accept user input - so the only way to do it in M2 is via the Garmin Settings.

Give this a go and see if it works Slight smile Any problems or more questions let me know!

• Thanks for your great work. My first exercise... Simple date-change... 

Greetings. 

01ZW2525W2Vs1WDKO1211XGWc020Vc121VZ11XGYQ03X7C11XGVj035C13SC13BC13SC13DC190100001XGXG01XGXG0