App: Hiking

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/39d3b5e8-67db-4517-93a8-5ec485269635

For the vivoactive, FR230, FR235, and FR630 (I don't plan support for other devices)

Please use this thread for questions, etc!

"Hike" records an activity as a hike or walk in Garmin Connect. It also allows you to mark "waypoints" (they show up as lap marks in Garmin connect, so you can see them on that map).

When hike starts, it waits for GPS, and looks for an available HRM and Tempe. At this point, with the up/down key or a screen swipe, you can switch between "hike" and "walk". Then, press "start" to start recording.

The current time, HR and temp (if the sensors are available) is displayed on all screens. While recording, pressing "back" marks a waypoint. To pause or end, press "start again", and you are given the options of "resume", "save", and "discard".

When you hit the start button and get the resume/save/discard menu, you can hit the back button. The menu goes away, and the recording remains paused (it's indicated next to the clock time on all pages). But you can scroll trough the data pages at the time. That way, if you're taking a break, you can sit and look at the current data.

When "paused" is displayed with the time, pressing start again resumes the recording.

There are 5 data screens that you can see when recording (up/down button, or swipe right/left on touch devices) (some not shown here due to forum limits)

The first screen is basic recording info: The time for the activity, the time that recording was active (when paused, this doesn't increase), the distance, and the number of waypoints marked

The second screen shows pace, avg pace, speed, and avg speed.

The third page shows the waypoints you marked. They are shown 5 at a time, and rotate every 7 seconds. They closest waypoint is shown in green.

The fourth page shows elevation data. This is GPS based, and sometime may be off. Elevation, total Ascent, and total Descent is shown.

The fifth page is location information. Your current lat/lon and heading, as well as your starting location lat/lon and the direction and distance back to start. GPS quality is also show, both in text and colors (green is usable or better)

Changes in version 0.12: see https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?335082-App-Hiking&p=765691#post765691
  • Was it a Hard crash (watch restarted) or a Connect IQ crash? (screen showed "IQ!"). With a hard crash, there is a file on the root of the USB drive for the watch called "err_log.txt".

What FW are you using (from the 24/7 HR stuff it's a 235, correct?)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    What FW are you using (from the 24/7 HR stuff it's a 235, correct?)

It was an IQ? Crash... symptoms seem like a few others a few forum pages back.

Yes FR235 and S/W 3.10 (0271c0f), WHR: 2.20, Connect IQ: 1.2.1 (I have not upgraded as I value the more frequent 24x7 HR monitoring).

I will try the latest Hike App version - as it appears that you have updated recently.

Thx
  • It was an IQ? Crash... symptoms seem like a few others a few forum pages back.

Yes FR235 and S/W 3.10 (0271c0f), WHR: 2.20, Connect IQ: 1.2.1 (I have not upgraded as I value the more frequent 24x7 HR monitoring).

I will try the latest Hike App version - as it appears that you have updated recently.

Thx

I kind of suspect it's either the 3.10 FW or WHR version (I think the latest WHR is 2.40), and this crash is related to hike using the optical HRM. What you can try, is create an empty file on the watch in "\garmin\apps\logs" named "ciq_log.txt", and if there's a crash, post or PM the contents of that file.
  • Former Member
    I kind of suspect it's either the 3.10 FW or WHR version (I think the latest WHR is 2.40), and this crash is related to hike using the optical HRM. What you can try, is create an empty file on the watch in "\garmin\apps\logs" named "ciq_log.txt", and if there's a crash, post or PM the contents of that file.

Thanks for the response.

The latest WHR 2.40 significantly reduces the recorded points for 24x7 HR monitoring to once ever 30+minutes or even out to a reported 3hrs... (This is why I have not updated.)

I have updated to your latest version of your App and will create the file before I go for my morning country walk.

Again - thanks for your time.
  • Former Member
    Crashes On Save Waypoint

Guys,

I like the app but am experiencing a problem.
    I have a Garmin VivoActive.

The app seems happy enough but when I go to save a waypoint a pink/magenta message flashes on the screen (too quick to read), and then the app hangs. Pressing any button/menu causes the app to crash app to the apps screen. Waiting and pressing nothing also crashes out.
    Restarting the app always starts from scratch searching for GPS. No waypoints are saved.

Any ideas ?

Bill
  • Guys,

I like the app but am experiencing a problem.
    I have a Garmin VivoActive.

The app seems happy enough but when I go to save a waypoint a pink/magenta message flashes on the screen (too quick to read), and then the app hangs. Pressing any button/menu causes the app to crash app to the apps screen. Waiting and pressing nothing also crashes out.
    Restarting the app always starts from scratch searching for GPS. No waypoints are saved.

Any ideas ?

Bill

The only time a pink message is displayed while hike is recording, is if the recording is paused (you press the start button, and then the back button. Is that's what's happening? What version are you running? (the top of screens has "hike v0.xxx (hike)")

Waypoints aren't saved - each time the app is started, it starts with no waypoints.

There was a review in the store that mentioned a crash, along with a message that said something like "press back twice to continue", which is something hike doesn't do. (no such message in the code). Is this the same thing?
  • No GPS at FR230 3.30 "waiting for GPS"

Hi,

I installedHike v0.12c on my new Forerunner 2.30 with Firmware 3.30 (00D4E0B), GPS 3.0.
    When I start Hike, it shows that it tries to get a GPS signal .. nothing else happens.

For all other activities (IQ Apps or standard activities on my FR230), GPS works fine.

I've tried already to uninstall and reinstall Hike, but there is still the same problem "waiting for Gps" on my FR230 screen.

How to solve that issue ??

regards

J.M.
  • hope :)

helloooo

dont U any plan make it work on epix series??
  • Hi,

I installedHike v0.12c on my new Forerunner 2.30 with Firmware 3.30 (00D4E0B), GPS 3.0.
    When I start Hike, it shows that it tries to get a GPS signal .. nothing else happens.

For all other activities (IQ Apps or standard activities on my FR230), GPS works fine.

I've tried already to uninstall and reinstall Hike, but there is still the same problem "waiting for Gps" on my FR230 screen.

How to solve that issue ??

regards

J.M.

The logic to turn on GPS and wait for it is actually quite simple, and the only thing I can think of is that you weren't in a location with stong enough GPS signals (I not only wait for GPS, but also a "good" signal - some other things may just wait for any level of quality in GPS, including "last location")
  • helloooo

dont U any plan make it work on epix series??

I might do that (the screen geometry is like the vivoavtive, and the fonts are different), but with something like this app, I'm a bit concerned that a few things might work differently on the epix, and those are the things that don't show when simulating the device with an app like this.