App: Hiking

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/39d3b5e8-67db-4517-93a8-5ec485269635

For the vivoactive, FR230, FR235, and FR630 (I don't plan support for other devices)

Please use this thread for questions, etc!

"Hike" records an activity as a hike or walk in Garmin Connect. It also allows you to mark "waypoints" (they show up as lap marks in Garmin connect, so you can see them on that map).

When hike starts, it waits for GPS, and looks for an available HRM and Tempe. At this point, with the up/down key or a screen swipe, you can switch between "hike" and "walk". Then, press "start" to start recording.

The current time, HR and temp (if the sensors are available) is displayed on all screens. While recording, pressing "back" marks a waypoint. To pause or end, press "start again", and you are given the options of "resume", "save", and "discard".

When you hit the start button and get the resume/save/discard menu, you can hit the back button. The menu goes away, and the recording remains paused (it's indicated next to the clock time on all pages). But you can scroll trough the data pages at the time. That way, if you're taking a break, you can sit and look at the current data.

When "paused" is displayed with the time, pressing start again resumes the recording.

There are 5 data screens that you can see when recording (up/down button, or swipe right/left on touch devices) (some not shown here due to forum limits)

The first screen is basic recording info: The time for the activity, the time that recording was active (when paused, this doesn't increase), the distance, and the number of waypoints marked

The second screen shows pace, avg pace, speed, and avg speed.

The third page shows the waypoints you marked. They are shown 5 at a time, and rotate every 7 seconds. They closest waypoint is shown in green.

The fourth page shows elevation data. This is GPS based, and sometime may be off. Elevation, total Ascent, and total Descent is shown.

The fifth page is location information. Your current lat/lon and heading, as well as your starting location lat/lon and the direction and distance back to start. GPS quality is also show, both in text and colors (green is usable or better)

Changes in version 0.12: see https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?335082-App-Hiking&p=765691#post765691
  • Ah good, must say I was puzzled at my normally decent chart reading skills for a while ;-)

I'm only using the built in HRM. Ah just got that screen again, so it's on a white background, blue IQ in the middle and yellow question mark on the top left of the "Q"

Just updated my last post as the HRM on the 235 is a difference, and wondered if there was a way to turn it off as a test to see if you still get the "IQ ?" The HRM is really the big difference between a 230 and 235.

Thanks!
  • What's confusing is that it doesn't happen each time. I tried without the HRM and it crashed too after a few tries. It sits there without the time getting incremented and after 3 or 4 seconds it crashes. I'll try deleting the app and reinstalling just in case.
  • What's confusing is that it doesn't happen each time. I tried without the HRM and it crashed too after a few tries. It sits there without the time getting incremented and after 3 or 4 seconds it crashes. I'll try deleting the app and reinstalling just in case.

Noticed that the 3.20 FW came out today for the x3x device, as well as an update to the "sensor module" on the 235 (the HRM stuff) so that might fix it.

Could you mount the 235 as a mass store device (plug it in with USB), and create a file called "ciq_log.txt" in the "\garmin\apps\logs" directory. And after the next crash PM me the content of that file? Thanks!
  • Hiking stats on main screen of connect?

Hi Jim... Thanks for the wonderful app!

Quick question: not sure this possible but, is it possible for me to see my hiking stats on the main screen of connect? (like running or biking?) thanks for all your help!!
  • Nope, GCM only shows a few of the activity types on the snapshots. But what you can do is go the "activity stats" page and select "all activities" If you select a hiking activity, from there, there is "view all hiking activities"
  • Great App

Hi,

Found this app yesterday and am still 'playing' with it.

The main plus point for me (and I think that someone else mentioned this) is that using 'hike', the activity records on GC as a walk (obviously, I'd selected 'walk' on the start screen).

My main activity is challenge walking with plenty on training walks. The main data I need displaying are...

Time Recorded
    Distance Covered (miles)
    Average Pace (min/mile)

Niceties would include...

HRM
    Cadence (Steps per minute)

Although your app shows all that I need, personally I would prefer a simpler interface showing just what I need - over two screens, perhaps - a hike lite, as it were!

Apart from the above, I shall definitely be giving your app a good try over the next few weeks - thanks for all your work.
  • Hi,

Niceties would include...

HRM
    Cadence (Steps per minute)

Although your app shows all that I need, personally I would prefer a simpler interface showing just what I need - over two screens, perhaps - a hike lite, as it were!

HRM - Your should see your Heart Rate on the bottom of each screen if Hike found your HRM (it's a known sensor and transmitting) "HR: xxx"
    Cadence - I'm testing an update already that has a cadence page with current, avg and max.

As far as a "lite" version, maybe at some point I'll add the ability to turn off some of the pages in hike, but I don't know if many people would use that feature. But I'll put it on the list!
  • Version 0.12c

I added a "cadence" page (current/avg/max) They are the values I get from the firmware, and may look a bit odd at walking/hiking speeds!

Also, added a new option for the chart (graphical) display. Current location in relation to last waypoint marked OR found. The first time you go to the graphical chart, for 5 seconds, it will display which option is being used.
  • There's a review in the app store for hike that I don't understand, and wondered if anyone had more details:

This app is great but on my garmin vivo active it crashes whenever you save a way point. The save is successful and the screen says click "back twice to resume". Pressing any button just crashes the app, as does just waiting on this screen. The app restarts from the beginning with no saved way points and no history. This is obviously a device specific problem but makes the apps main feature unusable. If it worked it would be best app in the store.

I don't think it's about "hike", as there is no place where "hike" has a message that says ".. click "back twice to resume"". Marking a waypoint doesn't show any new screen, and the only "save" is to save the recording and terminate the app.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thanks jim_m_58 for a very useful App - I use it almost everyday when I go for a walk through the local countryside.

This morning 5 steps after leaving the verandah the Hike App crashed... it restarted OK and kept working for the whole 2hrs of the walk.

I'm not sure if there are any error logs or other info (or where I would find them) that I may provide that might be of use in troubleshooting?

I'm not sure if it is related - but when I sync'ed/uploaded the activity after the walk - the HR for the activity was OK - but the all-day HR in Garmin Connect is flat-lined at zero. So it appears that the 24x7 HR recording has been corrupted? Not sure if this is related to the crash.

I appreciate the Hike App.