Data Field: Dozen Run Fields

Dozen Run, Swim, Paddle and Cycle Data Fields
After others are forcing you to pay for these applications, so I decided to make a great data field(s) and then keep them free. I'm a Software engineer, sponsored runner and run coach, I combined my engineering and running knowledge to bring you these streamline applications.

I put thousands of hours of bench and field testing these simple applications. So, consider a small donation.
Small donations (help keep my effort going) paypal.me/fbbbrown

Install Instructions:
This Data field needs to be added to the (specific) app within your watch to view.

This is a data field not an application and needs to be added to a single data screen within an application.
a.) Goto settings,apps,run,data screen,screen 1
b.)Set Layout to 1 Field
c.) Set Field 1 to ConnectIQ Fields, DozenRun
d.) run happy!

INSTALL ISSUES:
-"!" Issue: If you receive a "!", completely uninstall, reboot and then reinstall. The Setting file changed and the automated Garmin install is not replacing the setting file.
-Download Issue: if you have the "App requires an update before install", hard reboot your watch TWICE and install again.
-TIMER Issue: If you update/install and you see the TIMER and don't see the Dozen data field.
--The data field update or install may require a restart of watch.
--Or the data field needs added to the built-in application, again.

These are becoming a Data Field Suite, where all field are similar making it easier to read while in an activity.

The Dozen fields are intended for training, the data field works fine for speed work, track or races, but readability in these conditions maybe tougher.

IMPORTANT: If you have a Question, recommendation or problem.
Please provide as much as possible (for example the following):

1.) Watch type, Watch firmware version and ConnectIQ version.
2. programmed from Garmin Connect (phone type) or Garmin Express
3.) Which data field
4.) description of issue
5.) if its a "!" error include the error log from your watch. Connect your watch to a PC using USB cable. The error log is located x:\GARMIN\APPS\LOGS. copy the listing and paste in the post.

Layout Dozen Run Datafield fenix3
Cad|HR
Pace|Distance
Battery meter
Avg Pace| (bluetooth) Timer
Calories|Time|Elevation
GPS

Layout Dozen Run Datafield FR 230/235/630
Cad|HR
Pace|Distance
Battery meter
Elevation|Time|Calories
GPS

Layout Dozen Run Datafield FR 920XT
Pace|Timer
Battery meter
Avg Pace|HR| (bluetooth) Distance
Cad |Time|Elevation
GPS

Layout Dozen Cycle Datafield
Cad|HR
Speed|Distance
Battery meter
Calories|Time|Elevation
GPS

Layout Dozen Swim data field
Laps | SWOLF
Pace| Distance
Battery meter
Average Pace | (bluetooth) Timer
Calories| TIME | Stroke Type
GPS

Layout Dozen Paddle Datafield
AHR|HR
Speed|Avg SPD
Battery meter
Timer| Distance(bluetooth)
Cad|Time|AVG CAD (stroke distance)
GPS

Description for all fields
--All watch types are support for all data fields. Coded simple to keep bugs at minimum.
-Race Prediction completely configurable for any distance. Distance is entered in meters. Enter 1%-2% longer distance to adjust for normal GPS error and better race prediction.
-Cadence either from watch, footpod or crank cadence. Color coded to provide instant readability
-Heart Rate field is configurable to several methods: calculation (default), manual entered max HR, or individual zones Color coded to provide instant readability
-Pace/Speed is a rolling average to give a smooth reading configurable from 1 second to 120 seconds (Metric or statute by user setting)
-Distance is the total distance for the activity (Metric or statute by user setting)
-Timer is the actual time of the active time. Not Elapsed time.
- Battery meter uses the entire screen for reliability and acts as a divide to help focus one the upper fields.
-Avg Pace\Speed is a Garmin's provided datafield. (Metric or statute by user setting)
-Calories is the activity calories.
-Elevation based on Garmin's values. (Metric or statute by user setting)
-Time of day either in 12hr or 24 hour (based on user setting)
-(Fenix3/920)Auto background color Black or White background based on app settings
-(230/235) Configurable background color Black or White background (user configuration)
-GPS uses same indicator as iPhone for GPS signal. 5=full, 4=usable, 3=poor, 2=unused, 1= last location & 0 = no GPS
-Blue Tooth connectivity is shown as a blue "B"
-Paddle Stroke distance is a calculated by actual speed / cadence. Displayed in Meters/Feet.

#runhappy
  • I think the feedback thread link on the garmin app store is broken (old forum/new forum) so will comment here just in case it's being monitored

Obviously this is one of the most amazing data fields

My only wishlist would be be able to turn off the labels so the numbers are larger on smaller watch displays or for old eye like mine.

Also it would be nice since the native garmin datafields can't show currently determined firstbeat vo2max only "performance condition" while vo2max can change after the first 10 minutes sometimes, it would be neat if one of the fields could hold  vo2max+performancecondition

ie.  50+3  or   53-2

not sure where you'd be able to put it though, maybe there can be a toggle for one of the fields, like I don't care about current altitude during a run so maybe there?

another idea is it  would be neat if some data could blink or change colors  if GPS is ever lost or doesn't update for more than several seconds during a run

• For Dozen Run, what is the setting "(CIQ2.0+ VA3/4, VAHR, Fenix 5/6, FR6x5,735..."? Since it gets cut off on my phone, I don't know what it is.

Also, is there a setting to tell Dozen Run to look for a cadence sensor? I only have my VA3music for cadence, but it started reporting 0 for the entire run a couple days ago and I want to make sure that I didn't mess up a setting that could have caused that. Although I think that the recent bluetooth firmware update was also around the time that this issue started... hmm just trying to check things on my end to see if it was me first.

Thanks!

• There are a lot of things that don't work properly, not only that cut off text (use Garmin Express for the whole description). The rolling average of the actual pace doesn't work and the cadence and HR fields are completely colored so that you can't read the value anymore.

• Please send a picture of the text coloring.  The garmin express should show the entire text of the description.  If it does not this may be s bug in express.  
    please contact me on my website www.fbbbrown.com use the contact me concerning the pace.   The pace should be flawless. 

• I installed Express and checked the settings descriptions, that helped, thanks. I am pretty sure its my VA3m, it has a few other issues too. I had just been in looking at the Dozen Run settings recently and thought that I might have messed something up. I don't think that I did now and I am going to reach out to Garmin about all the issues that I am having since I haven't found much online that helps with any of them. 

• Can I use one of the dozenrun data field on indoor runs? 

specifically i use indoor run to track indoor soccer (venu), but garmin doesn't store steps and has the distance horribly wrong - I usually ended up with 7-8000 steps and maybe 1.5-2km shown on garmin.

• Thanks for designing these awesome data fields!  I put DozenRun, DozenCycle and DozenWalk on all my watches and bike computers and love them! That's the only data field I used until recently.....

Both DozenRun, DozenCycle on my Forerunner 935 stopped working at the same time after 2 years of usage. The display stays in " Dozen Run v6.11.1  Press to Start" screen.    The DozenCycle (v5.18.1) screen shows zero on all fields.     They stay this way throughout my running or cycling activities.      All other garmin default data screens (with  1-4 data fields) works fine and the watch recorded the activity and uploaded my activities to GarminConnect  with no problem.    Only the Dozen data screen not working.

1.) Watch type, Watch firmware version and ConnectIQ version:     Forerunner 935, Dozen Run v6.11.1  DozenCycle (v5.18.1), ConnectIQ v 2.4
    2. programmed from Garmin Connect (phone type) or Garmin Express:    programmed via Samsung Galaxy S9 phone 
    3.) Which data field : ALL data fields
    4.) description of issue  -- See above

• I don’t understand how to insert race prediction field..?

• I have some problems with the Graphical fellrnr y-Axis.

Unfortunately i didn't know about this thread, so posted it somewhere else.

See:

https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/f/discussion/261192/running-activity-fellrnr-graphics-on-ios-are-different-than-on-my-android-phone/1249147#1249147

• Hi! Thanks for making a really great this data field (just donated!). However, one thing is a bit annoying. I'm using a Garmin Venu 2 Plus, and the cadence/pulse colours tend to blend with the numbers (the bright green and red mixes with the white), making the numbers hard to read. A couple of suggestions: perhaps the numbers could be set in a bolder font? Or be black (when the background color isn't black)? Or if the colour field could be limited to not cover the numbers (like it seems to be on some models)? I have black as background colour and like it that way...